Which exhaust do you take?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

Which exhaust would you take?

McLaren's
43%
Red Bull ramp
57%

Total votes: 87

Pierce89

Re: Which exhaust do you take?

raymondu999 wrote:Are you talking about the bodywork minimum radius rule that ensures the bodywork doesn't cut up others' tyres? Couldn't you make it a thick bridge then, as opposed to a "plank-like" bridge?
Sure, but imho a thick bridge starts to be more of the red bull style.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

raymondu999

I've been thinking.

IMO what we haven't really considered is that F1 engines tick/idle at something like 5000-6000RPM - even when fully off-throttle, there will still be exhaust gas. I wonder if because the exhaust at idle is so weak, then the ramped design allows this idling exhaust to reach (and therefore, seal) the diffuser better when off throttle - allowing more diffuser rake, and more diffuser-driven downforce. Perhaps even with the fatter, more obstructed coke bottle, the extra rake afforded when off-throttle produces more downforce than the lost coke bottle anyways?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Reventon
Reventon

Is it true that rake contributes the most downforce ?

What is the percentage split of downforce created by the rake, wings & everything else ? ( I guess it depends on the car and how much rake it has, circuit/wing angle, etc )

I once heard of an F3 engineer who said the rake created more downforce than the wings, is that true ? If it is then I would imagine RB would prioritise rake downforce over coke bottle downforce (edit: although coke bottle helps the diffuser efficiency :? )

Cuky

Reventon wrote:Is it true that rake contributes the most downforce ?
Rake does not produce downforce. Rake is difference between front and rear ride height. So, more rake would mean that there is bigger difference in ride height on front and rear ends of the car.

What produces biggest amount of downforce on F1 car is diffuser at the rear end of the car. After DDD (Double Deck Diffuser) was banned for 2011. onwards designers (Newey first, than others) are trying to use exhaust gasses to seal sides of diffuser (to "close" its sides), like it would be if they were allowed to extend diffuser sides all way down to the road. By doing that they can rise rear end of the car (add more rake) and they make diffuser bigger. Bigger diffuser = more downforce. Diffuser is actually same size as it is regulated by technical regulations, but by sealing its sides with exhausts and rising rear end of the car more air can pass through it.

I hope you can understand what I mean. English is not my 1st language and I sometimes find it difficult to express my thoughts.

Sevach
Sevach

raymondu999 wrote:I've been thinking.

IMO what we haven't really considered is that F1 engines tick/idle at something like 5000-6000RPM - even when fully off-throttle, there will still be exhaust gas. I wonder if because the exhaust at idle is so weak, then the ramped design allows this idling exhaust to reach (and therefore, seal) the diffuser better when off throttle - allowing more diffuser rake, and more diffuser-driven downforce. Perhaps even with the fatter, more obstructed coke bottle, the extra rake afforded when off-throttle produces more downforce than the lost coke bottle anyways?
Yes, they hardly ever go below 10000, and only on very slow corners (plus i think 10% blowing allowance).
Still hard to say, we don't have the numbers, i believe the ramp would be less sensitive in terms of getting the flow where you want than the bulge on both exhaust flow (high and low) and the speed of the car, so it might still payoff.

hollus

In my mind, rake turns all of the floor into a sort of diffuser, one where the expansion is very gradual. Of course the proper diffuser also gets bigger. On top of that, the whole car becomes a bit of a wing with 1-2 degrees of angle of attack.
So I would say that rake does produce downforce by itself, on top of helping the front wing and possibly the diffuser.
Rivals, not enemies.

Reventon
Reventon

Cuky wrote:What produces biggest amount of downforce on F1 car is diffuser at the rear end of the car.
yup, so you are confirming what I heard, the difference between front and rear ride height + diffuser creates the most downforce as like hollus says, the rake determines how big the diffuser is as theoretically the whole floor is part of the diffuser.

I was trying to help answer raymondu999's question : Perhaps even with the fatter, more obstructed coke bottle, the extra rake afforded when off-throttle produces more downforce than the lost coke bottle anyways?

It would be good if someone else on here could confirm it is true as well.

Sevach
Sevach

We don't know that for a fact, but RBR, Lotus and Williams probably believe in this (or at least close enough).

Nando
Nando

I´d probably take a Mclaren setup,

Solely based on the fact that i think the 2012 Mclaren pound for pound was quicker then the Red Bull if both were on their best days.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

I thinkt he key that is emerging recently is the engine. I think you'd take different exhaust setups depending on which engine you had.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

An excerpt from the April 2013 edition of Racecar Engineering:
Most teams on the grid have followed McLaren's lead on exhaust design, but Lotus and Red Bull have pursued an alternative layout featuring tunnels under the exhaust exit. Goss argues that this approach is not as good as McLaren's. "We tried it back in 2011," he said. "There are some significant negatives to doing it in that it becomes very difficult to feed the central diffuser ramp and the starter hole, and sure enough we looked at the Red Bull solution. But we found greater benefits using the concept we launched last year, where you have quite an extreme undercut running through that area which is used to drive the diffuser and the starter hole. Fundamentally it's two different approaches to the same issue. The thing is you have to make sure that when the exhaust gases are not flowing, the rear end of the car is still behaving itself."
Interesting that they explored it in 2011. If we take that to mean that they explored it as a route for the MP4-26, it struck me that these sidepods:
McLaren MP4-25

Look a hell of a lot like these sidepods:
Red Bull RB8
Sauber C30
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

No takers for my theory that the MP4-25 inspired the Coanda sidepods design?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

turbof1

I don't think its related. The exhausts of the mp4-25 had a complete different function:
http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2010/0/720.html

Clearly different philosophy. The mp4-26 though did utilise downwash ramps.
#AeroFrodo

raymondu999

Inspired, not pioneered...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

astracrazy
astracrazy

perhaps he isn't meaning exhaust wise just airflow

if you look at the 25, maybe they tried a tunnel under the bottom of the sidepods to feed the diffuser?