Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wunderkind
wunderkind

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

I think we can gauge McLaren's title chances by their standing after the sixth race. If they are still leading or coming second in the drivers championship and the car is competitive and has no reliability issues, then McLaren has a good shot for the titles.

Pup
Pup

kalinka wrote:Maybe they are focusing more on reliability than on performance in 2013 ( at least at the beginning ). I hope they learned something from last season.
Supposedly the car isn't the only thing that's been redesigned this year. I've seen posted elsewhere that they overhauled the entire race dept. and canned upwards of 30% of their staff after last year's foibles. Could just be evil rumor though, as I've only seen forum posts about it.

Nando
Nando

the problem i see is even though it might be a very quick car. They don´t have a driver that can make a difference.
Look at last year in Mclaren, Ferrari and Red Bull in terms of point deficit. All three top drivers made a huge difference.

I can´t help but think that everytime the Mclaren starts on 2nd row that they just missed out on a pole.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Pup
Pup

Hamilton and Alonso are in a different league imo, but I think Button can hold his own with the rest. So much depends on the car. My fear is that Button goes off on one of his setup tangents mid-season without an experienced teammate to show that he's on the wrong path.

Dyanxx
Dyanxx

Pup wrote:Hamilton and Alonso are in a different league imo, but I think Button can hold his own with the rest. So much depends on the car. My fear is that Button goes off on one of his setup tangents mid-season without an experienced teammate to show that he's on the wrong path.
This is also what I'm worried about, last year Button was able to use Hamilton's setup at some races, and could see where he could improve, I can't see him being able to do that with Perez.

Sevach
Sevach

Nando wrote:the problem i see is even though it might be a very quick car. They don´t have a driver that can make a difference.
Look at last year in Mclaren, Ferrari and Red Bull in terms of point deficit. All three top drivers made a huge difference.

I can´t help but think that everytime the Mclaren starts on 2nd row that they just missed out on a pole.
Button is very sensitive, so even if they have loads of downforce he will struggle a bit if the balance isn't perfect, that's his weakness imo.

Let's see how fast is Perez really... if he starts outqualifying Button consistently this feeling might fade.

raymondu999

I wouldn't quite count on it. Perez's weakness has always been qualifying, no matter which category he's racing in.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Chuckjr

Nando wrote:Button is very sensitive, so even if they have loads of downforce he will struggle a bit if the balance isn't perfect, that's his weakness imo.
If that happens, and he (Button) is outdone by Perez, he can kiss his tenure with Macca goodbye, unfortunately.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Nando
Nando

That would be Sevach quote, not mine :)
Although i would tend to agree with it.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

wunderkind
wunderkind

Chuckjr wrote:
Nando wrote:Button is very sensitive, so even if they have loads of downforce he will struggle a bit if the balance isn't perfect, that's his weakness imo.
If that happens, and he (Button) is outdone by Perez, he can kiss his tenure with Macca goodbye, unfortunately.
Button may well struggle this season because he does not have an experienced teammate to help share the workload in developing and setting up the car on race weekends.

I think McLaren will focus on Button in set-up preference given his experience (not necessarily his status) and Perez will just have to cope with it.

Websta

Hamilton's absence should be a big positive for Button - no longer being compared to arguably the fastest driver in the field can only be a positive. Button has been a team leader for most of his career, not exactly unfamiliar territory. He is also very fast and very consistent.Button didn't struggle in 2004 when he didn't have a team mate more experienced than Perez to help him develop the car, and there's no reason to think he will now.

Anyway, I am expecting good things from Button this season. Watch out Perez.

This belongs in the team thread, but the conversation is here so sorry Mods.

McG

It's amazing that people still doubt Button after all he has achieved.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Neno
Neno

McG wrote:It's amazing that people still doubt Button after all he has achieved.
Well they doubt for a reason, his championship title is nothing more then pure luck or inconsistent regulations, also his results with hamilton as teammate are worse then statistic shows, in matter the fact if you look statistic he beated hamilton which is apsurd because hamilton was more championship candidate then him in last 3 years....
So can you tell me what he has achived?

Clew

McG wrote:It's amazing that people still doubt Button after all he has achieved.
Well, now's his chance to prove his salt. He should be clear #1 team driver 8)
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

McG

spinmastermic wrote:McLaren are well into the developement of the MP4-29, they just started on the concept for the MP4-30.
This.

People seem to forget just how big a team McLaren and other teams are. Even Marussia have started on their 2014 car.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.