Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McG

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

Neno wrote:
McG wrote:It's amazing that people still doubt Button after all he has achieved.
Well they doubt for a reason, his championship title is nothing more then pure luck or inconsistent regulations, also his results with hamilton as teammate are worse then statistic shows, in matter the fact if you look statistic he beated hamilton which is apsurd because hamilton was more championship candidate then him in last 3 years....
So can you tell me what he has achived?

I agree about Brawn borderline cheating, but then again so are Red Bull. And McLaren have been caught out too. Button still had a job to do. No matter what happens this year or beyond, I think Button will go down as one of the all time greats.
Clew wrote:
McG wrote:It's amazing that people still doubt Button after all he has achieved.
Well, now's his chance to prove his salt. He should be clear #1 team driver 8)
Perez might beat him this year but that can't take away what he already has achieved, it will just mean that Perez is awesome! And that will be a good thing.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Dyanxx
Dyanxx

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

Button one of the all time greats? :wtf:

Clew

Not sure if Button should be considered one of the all time greats.....but he's defeated JV, RB and LH and is now #1 driver for one of the most desirable teams in F1.

I recall Patrick Head thinking highly of him. He's a good driver and does have a WDC to his credit. I guess time will tell.

Right now, we're witnessing SV becoming one of the all time greats.

8)
“Championships are won in the first half of the season, not just the second half” Raikkonen

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

An all time great immediately moving to a top team after winning a not very convincing championship and only getting one pole position in three years with that top team?

And has to have a driver widely considered much better than him leave the team before he anyone thinks he can truly challenge for the title?

I'm not so sure about that :?

King Six
King Six

Button and Hamilton still need to do far more to be considered one of the all-time greats. That's a much more exclusive club than people think. You can't just include every WDC champion and multiple race winning driver into that list. Of course they're British so that automatically moves them up 20 --- places doesn't it.

Absolutelee
Absolutelee

I think there's a fair argument to be made that Button is not the most amazing driver around. But to discredit his abilities is just ludicrous. He has definite talent, and definite faults. Remember in 2009, Barichello had the same car, and while he isn't history's best driver either, he didn't have anywhere the success Button did. And Button did finish 2011 as 'best of the rest' if you will.

On a personal note, I first took the F1 plunge after seeing Button on Top Gear talking about purposely letting the back out mid corner, to make the driver he was passing nervous, so he could stick the pass. I thought "That's what happens in F1?! I gotta see this!"

KATO

http://f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_co ... Itemid=157

Sergio Perez isn't very liked by some... Or his Mexican Pessos-!!
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

KATO wrote:http://f1sa.com/index.php?option=com_co ... Itemid=157

Sergio Perez isn't very liked by some... Or his Mexican Pessos-!!
McLaren chose money over talent for 2013 - John Watson has accused his former Formula One team, McLaren, of effectively hiring a sponsor funded seat paying driver to replace Lewis Hamilton in 2013.

Ulsterman Watson, a Formula 1 race winner for McLaren three decades ago and an A1GP World Series TV expert, thinks the Woking based outfit was tempted by team newcomer Sergio Perez's connections to the Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim.

"Politically they have always tried to employ the best possible drivers who were available. Not who they could afford but who were available," he told the Guardian.

"There were other options and some of those were probably ones I would have gone for," said Watson, who said Nico Hulkenberg and Kimi Raikkonen would have been better choices in his opinion.

"Unfortunately they've ended up with Perez and the fact he's associated with Carlos Slim will have some value to McLaren," he continued.

"McLaren have always sought the best talent and clearly that is not the case right now," the 66 year old Briton added.
Ouch........

astracrazy
astracrazy

i think comments like this may well be valid (and maybe obvious) by at least half way through the season. He needs to prove himself and thats up to him to do.

I think everyone should wait to see how he pans out. They might have gone for money, but if he does well then well done to mclaren they have money and they have talent.

People should wait and see....

CjC
CjC

Shine a light! The season has even started and folk are slagging/ writing drivers off left, right and center!

Kimi Raikkonen wouldn't go back to mclaren so why bother mentioning him? I'm trying to rack my brains for the podiums which hulkenburg got?

I know it's only opinions and journalists love it but it is frustrating to read
Just a fan's point of view

Absolutelee
Absolutelee

CjC wrote:Shine a light! The season has even started and folk are slagging/ writing drivers off left, right and center!

Kimi Raikkonen wouldn't go back to mclaren so why bother mentioning him? I'm trying to rack my brains for the podiums which hulkenburg got?

I know it's only opinions and journalists love it but it is frustrating to read

agreed!

KATO

Yeah I can FULLY understand why one would think and could think that money was a factor.
But he is not a slow driver even if he is a pay driver and we still haven't seen what he can or can't do.
He did get 3 podiums last season in a Sauber of all Teams the team that before him had that many podiums in its Histroy as an F1 team. Sergio leteraly gave them as much success in one season. So as a Midfield driver and Sauber driver I think he proved to have more talent then other midfield drivers.

But that no longer matter this is a Top team and wether he's ready for it or not. Now he will be compared FIRST to Button then to Hamilton and then Vettel Kimi Webber Rosberg Grosjean Massa and most of all Alonso. Because Alonso too drove at McLaren briefly but he won GrandPrixs.

It's too soon to tell basicly.

But going into the season I think we can all agree he needs to be consistent score points have many podiums and maybe 3 wins. Only then will he no longer be considered a Pay driver.

If not he won't be left alone by journalists..

"Money can buy you a seat but never the results. I say it to those who still doubt it." ___ Sergio Perez..
http://www.auto123.com/en/news/f1-sergi ... tid=151713

Let's hope he can prove it..

I'm gona make a bet and say he can....... Let's hope so for McLarens sake and Witmarsh..
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

KATO

__Ayrton Senna

CHT
CHT

Just read that Vodafone will quit f1 sponsorship will mclaren. Which is around 75m per year.

Hail22

CHT wrote:Just read that Vodafone will quit f1 sponsorship will mclaren. Which is around 75m per year.
Do you have a link to the source article that you have read? unless its hard copy of course.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve