Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

Miran
Miran

Williams had a sudden change of steering wheel. Does anybody have idea what might happen? in testing they had their usual one, now, this:
And it's almost the same red bull and toro rosso used few years back, before heavily modifying it
OLD:

Seems odd

zoro_f1

the old steering wheel looks more complicated than the new one. maybe they used some way to make it more simple to the driver for using it and maybe they don't need so much buttons on it. who knows!? :roll:

to me... the new one is easier for understanding than the old one. i like it. :)

my opinion is that drivers are not software engineers and they don't need so much buttons. the old steering wheel looks like a normal keyboard but all buttons have different functions. they do not type letters.
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

thestig84
thestig84

I think I saw Maldonado running with the old wheel. Flat top with WilliamsF1 written on it. Maybe this is come from Bottas?

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Sevach
Sevach

Coughlan confirmed the launch version will be run for the rest of the weekend.

Forza

F1 Australian GP - Friday FP - 15/3/2013

joseff

Sevach wrote:Coughlan confirmed the launch version will be run for the rest of the weekend.
High or low nose?

drunkmunky
drunkmunky

high nose

ramp-less coanda

shelly
shelly

The fbig silver duct that is at the front seems interesting, in that it does not seem to bring air to anything. It seems it collects the air expelled centrifugally by the brake's holes and channels it out on a more coherent fashion, shielding the turbulence generated at the rear-rest of teh wheel. Has something similar been don ebefore? I do not remember anything similar , but maybe I am wrong
twitter: @armchair_aero

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

shelly wrote:
The fbig silver duct that is at the front seems interesting, in that it does not seem to bring air to anything. It seems it collects the air expelled centrifugally by the brake's holes and channels it out on a more coherent fashion, shielding the turbulence generated at the rear-rest of teh wheel. Has something similar been don ebefore? I do not remember anything similar , but maybe I am wrong
Quite a few teams do it. Pioneered by RBR I believe.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Williams use an enclosed start motor tube which is a little different to most, if not all other teams.

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 002.29.jpg
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

seinfeld
seinfeld

the old steering wheel was used even when webber was in the car! and it looks very unergonomic! the new one looks much better

joseff

shelly wrote:
I think that's what the outer CF shroud already does.

If you look at the inlet, there are 3 separate big channels. The right one with the scoop apparently feeds the silver arch going to the caliper. Of the remaining 2, can we speculate that one feeds into the disc holes, and the other one directly into the big silver duct?

Edit: or, of course, the middle one goes to the axle hole and the left one feeds the disc holes.

wesley123
wesley123

Imagine that duct with the wheel and front wing mounted. Then notice that the height of the grey tunnel is around front wing height. They just blow the air that goes in through the slot through this grey duct without cooling anything. This then exits in the wheel wake around front wing height, this has a positive effect on the outwash of the front wing. What it exactly does, I dont know, all I know is that it is aimed to improve the front wing's airflow around the tire.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender