Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

The Red Bulls had relatively much higher top speed in qualiy compared to FP1, 2 and 3...
Are they already running the DRD (the beam wing 'staller') ?

Sevach
Sevach

They have an unique rear wing, longer chord than we are used to seeing since DRS but a smaller surface area.

http://i.imgur.com/8ue4myu.jpg

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Sevach wrote:They have an unique rear wing, longer chord than we are used to seeing since DRS but a smaller surface area.

http://i.imgur.com/8ue4myu.jpg
Their pace, coupled with that photo comparing the rear wings, means that the RB9 has to have a lot more rear-end DF than they know what to do with. How planted would they be if they had wings similar to the rest of the field, let alone at places like Monaco :wtf:

Sevach
Sevach

Yeah, Melbourne isn't a place where you think top speed, yet they trounce everyone easily with that small RW.

Vettel carries ridiculous amounts of speed into the corners that no other guy comes close to matching.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Is this car a bit of a one hit wonder? Extremely fast over a single lap, but unable to look after tyres resulting in crippling race pace?

With the tires as they are this year, maybe Red Bull's aero over mechanical focus is no longer the best philosophy?

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

Horner is saying it's about the operating window of these tires. Cooler temperatures meant more dagradation for RB which is harder on tires than both Ferrari and Lotus. He hopes for warm Malesya.
I say they possibly may sacrifice a bit of a quali pace, as they got it by quite a lot of a margin, for a bit more of a tire preservation and race pace. But it's still early days. I still think it's gonna be very dominant season by RBR.

raymondu999

I have to say I'm inclined to agree that this could be a one-off. IMO they overshot and went too much into a qualifying setup, as signified by their pole margin. Or, the conditions were too cold for the red bull, which meant the cold tear problems that plagued most teams in testing have returned.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nomore
Nomore

I think it has nothing to do with Setup, tyres...etc.
They just got out-developed by Ferrari and Lotus during the winter session.

raymondu999

Nomore wrote:I think it has nothing to do with Setup, tyres...etc.
And I think we'll agree to disagree.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

henra
henra

Diesel wrote:Is this car a bit of a one hit wonder? Extremely fast over a single lap, but unable to look after tyres resulting in crippling race pace?

With the tires as they are this year, maybe Red Bull's aero over mechanical focus is no longer the best philosophy?
I doubt it. They probably simply missed the sweet spot or they simply were over- agressive with setup in order to get the pole.
Anyway RB hasn't been the quickest in understanding the tires last year either. But converting excess (quali) pace to a bit of tire life should be possible and is not among the worst problems one could face at the beginning of a season.
They will finally understand the new Pirellis in the next few races. In the interest of the sport we have to hope that by then some of the other Teams found some peak performance in their cars. Otherwise the season might not be interesting for too long.

Nomore
Nomore

raymondu999 wrote:
...agree or disagree are personal opinons.
The race Showed that ferrari and Lotus were faster than red bull

gandharva

Nomore wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
The race Showed that ferrari and Lotus were faster than red bull
Yes, today in Melbourne. But that's not what you was writing before. I (and I think pretty much everyone else here in this forum) also disagree with you in terms of BRB beeing outdeveloped by Ferrari and Lotus.

Nomore
Nomore

The race Showed that ferrari and Lotus were faster than red bull[/quote]
Yes, today in Melbourne. But that's not what you was writing before. I (and I think pretty much everyone else here in this forum) also disagree with you in terms of BRB beeing outdeveloped by Ferrari and Lotus.[/quote]

Yes in Melburne, where else..?
what was i writing before ?...answer : They just got out-developed by Ferrari and Lotus during the winter session.
In the end of the last year RB was faster than Ferrari and Lotus, now in the first race they are slower--> i personally call this"outdeveloped"
If in malaysia they are faster in the race than congratulation to them... they have done a better job this week and out develop everyone.
Its all about a developing race and we have 19 races to see who wins. For now Ferrari and Lotus are the best.

Forza

Few close up shots of the car from today
F1 Australian GP - Sunday - 17/3/2013

myurr
myurr

Nomore wrote:Yes in Melburne, where else..?
what was i writing before ?...answer : They just got out-developed by Ferrari and Lotus during the winter session.
In the end of the last year RB was faster than Ferrari and Lotus, now in the first race they are slower--> i personally call this"outdeveloped"
If in malaysia they are faster in the race than congratulation to them... they have done a better job this week and out develop everyone.
Its all about a developing race and we have 19 races to see who wins. For now Ferrari and Lotus are the best.
That's not how it works. If RB are faster in Malaysia then it doesn't mean they've out developed everyone else in the last week. They could bring zero updates and still be quicker - it's going to be more about the car suiting the track and conditions and them getting the setup right. If they bring a new component to the car and that is the sole reason they're quicker in a weeks time, which is highly unlikely, then you can say they're out developing the competition. But even then that part would have been in development for many weeks, maybe even months, so it's not a sudden thing where they're making a step forward due to work done in the next few days.