Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wunderkind
wunderkind

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

Also, let's not forget each teams have only limited sets of tires over the race weekend and allocating a set or two for testing purposes is not the best idea. But maybe that's what McLaren needs to do, for now.

Nomore
Nomore

I just was wondering if Mclaren had brought in Melbourne the last year car ("Melbourn 2012")...what would they have archived...

ScottB
ScottB

Shakeman wrote:Jenson was pleased with how the car felt in the simulator noting it was a step forward from the 27. As Anon123 points out they were quite confident of the step forward with the 28.
That depends, was he being truthful or was it pre season PR speak?

They sounded fairly positive in general until they arrived in Australia, then the tone sounded notably depressed.

PlatinumZealot

Jenson and Perez cannot hang on the narrow operating window of the '28, that is all. They need a driver who can unlock the car like in 2009.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

n smikle wrote:Jenson and Perez cannot hang on the narrow operating window of the '28, that is all. They need a driver who can unlock the car like in 2009.
If the coming good of mclaren in the later part of 2009 is due to Hamilton, then give Button the same amount of time to show what he can do. If you want to be objective, however, then you should be able to see that, despite Hamilton's talent, he wasn't responsible for turning that car around....2 different scenarios here....

Pup
Pup

True - Hamilton didn't "unlock" that car - the car was completely rebuilt by Germany.

And one has to wonder why Hamilton, with such unlocking ability, managed to score fewer points than Button over the course of their partnership.

Not that this thread needs to go there, and not to say that there isn't room for concern over Button's ability to setup his car. He's certainly had years where that was the case. But no one is unlocking anything in the course of a single race.

flmkane
flmkane

Pup wrote:True - Hamilton didn't "unlock" that car - the car was completely rebuilt by Germany.

And one has to wonder why Hamilton, with such unlocking ability, managed to score fewer points than Button over the course of their partnership.

Not to say that there isn't room for concern over Button's ability to setup his car. He's certainly had years where that was the case. But no one is unlocking in the course of a single race.
Bullshit. Hamilton won more races, won more poles and beat his teammate 2 out of 3 years. Furthermore, in 2012 Lewis had 5 retirements to Buttons 2 and there was one race where he was classified despite not finishing, because Maldonado rammed him on the last lap.

Plus Button is undoubtedly slower, as proven by EVERYuTIME he got out qualified, and by the fact that Hamilton ran rings around him in 2012.

The argument that Button beat Hamilton based on total points scored over 3 years is a crudely biased interpretations of the statistics. Button beat Hamilton by A MILE in 2011, hence why this gap exists.

bhall
bhall

Pup wrote:Telmex does sponsor Perez, but they are a smaller subsidiary of Slim's main company with no presence outside of Mexico. I don't think it's really a growth company either, since they deal in landline service. IMO, it's unlikely that Slim would pay for their branding as a title sponsor. His larger companies are Claro and Telcel. Claro, in particular, has a presence throughout Central and South America; and if he were to expand elsewhere, that seems most likely the brand he would use.

GSK could just as easily be the one. I've heard Rolex mentioned also, but that seems more far fetched.
What about Repsol? They have a history with Honda, which could provide an outlet for engine development; they have "brand synergy" with McLaren; and they have loads of money.

Pup
Pup

flmkane wrote:Bullshit.
Panties in a wad? I didn't say that Button "beat" Hamilton. I said that he scored more points, which is true; i.e., not bullshit; i.e., Button wasn't dependent upon Hamilton's mad locksmithing skillz. Please note that I am a Hamilton fan, just not a mouth-frothing, unreasonable one who insists on giving him credit for all that is good and true.

Sheesh.

Anyway, I don't know nuthin about Repsol, other than they're Spanish, and sell oil, and might not want their logo next to Mobil's.

flmkane
flmkane

Fair enough. Then I admit to having misunderstood your comment

ringo

Pup wrote:
flmkane wrote:Bullshit.
Panties in a wad? I didn't say that Button "beat" Hamilton. I said that he scored more points, which is true; i.e., not bullshit; i.e., Button wasn't dependent upon Hamilton's mad locksmithing skillz. Please note that I am a Hamilton fan, just not a mouth-frothing, unreasonable one who insists on giving him credit for all that is good and true.

Sheesh.

Anyway, I don't know nuthin about Repsol, other than they're Spanish, and sell oil, and might not want their logo next to Mobil's.
Well points accumulated over 3 years isn't really saying anything helpfull, as there is a new car for each year.
It's weird that points over 3 years is even considered an indication of anything. The game is reset each season.
F1 is like tenis, You need to win more sets than points.
Button was dependent on Hamilton's setups last year. In fact Mclaren found development direction with Hamilton moreso than Button. I recall 2011 silverstone with the blown diffuser exhaust. There are other examples, but even in 2011 where Button won out, Hamilton played a key role in pushing the team and also pressuring the competition.
I am yet to see the same with Button, i think mid season Mclaren should be reasonably improved once they figure out the front suspension. Let's see how their drivers cope.
For Sure!!

sAx
sAx

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

http://www.planetf1.com/race-features/8 ... -Aussie-GP

Some interesting Gill-esq thoughts on the enclosed link. In the wake of the great McLaren designers John Barnard, Neil Oatley and Adrian Newey, McLaren seem to suffer from a a sort of over-intectualising of design philosophy by its 'misson-control' committee. Forever trying to outsmart the opposition, they only end up outsmarting themselves! To only get fundamental car design right 1 year out of 5, does not seem a good return on the resource investment. Hamilton's decision to leave a 'competitive mclaren' for an 'uncompetitive mercedes', looks wiser by the minute.

sAx
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

Shakeman

CjC
CjC

All hail king Lewis

:roll:
Shakeman wrote:No going back to 27.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106141

Good.
I'm just glad they said the 28 has more downforce than the 27
Just a fan's point of view

beelsebob
beelsebob

CjC wrote:All hail king Lewis

:roll:
Pardon? What had that got to do with anything?
I'm just glad they said the 28 has more downforce than the 27
They didn't – they said the 28 has the potential to have more downforce than the 27 if they figure out how to make it work right.