2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Tamburello
Tamburello

Re: 2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

myurr wrote:
Tamburello wrote:...and couldn't do it!
In the colder than expected conditions on a green track, on a circuit that isn't a good indicator of performance at the next few races...

All those judgements on every teams performances could change drastically in the next couple of races.
That's not necessarily true. Melbourne weather in March is not always hot and last year McLaren took poles at both Albert Park and Sepang. Brawn was quick at all the first few races of 2009. Futhermore, 10 of 15 winners of Australian GP in Melbourne have gone on to win the championship. I'd say that's a pretty good indicator of the strength of cars.

Tamburello
Tamburello

raymondu999 wrote:I'd say watch out for a different pecking order. Melbourne 2013 was very cold by f1 average standards. Let's see how the cars go in more representative hot conditions. And a more representative aero track.
Man with those tyre options I think Lotus might be able to do a one stop race!!!

kooleracer
kooleracer

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

gray41 wrote:Will the characteristics of the W04 be suited to Sepang?
I dont think there is something like a track suiting a car. If your car is quick it will be quick everywhere. There a drivers that go faster in particular tracks. Like Micheal and Lewis both like street-circuits. The red bull in 2011 was fast everywhere even on a track like Monza, what shouldn't have suited them. I call that suggestion a racing myth.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

bhall
bhall

I think it's too early to tell, because the characteristics of the cars are still being defined. It's a hardcore aero circuit, though.

Ferraripilot

kooleracer wrote:
I dont think there is something like a track suiting a car. If your car is quick it will be quick everywhere. There a drivers that go faster in particular tracks. Like Micheal and Lewis both like street-circuits. The red bull in 2011 was fast everywhere even on a track like Monza, what shouldn't have suited them. I call that suggestion a racing myth.
Certain cars do perform better at one track vs another, absolutely. For instance we know with W04s 'fric' system that it has excellent mechanical traction and it will work well at more complicated short circuits such as Monaco and areas similar to Barcelona's sector 2 where it was massively quick. I believe Sepang will be an excellent circuit for W04 and its 'fric' system due to the multiple number of tight turns.

It seems every team needs to do a bit of tuning to their suspension to get their tire useage just right. It has been conjectured that W04 ran their super softs at optimal temperatures thus had excellent useage of them in Oz yet the medium tire temp was perhaps a tiny bit higher than the compound would have liked at first but obviously the final stint on mediums had them at an optimal temp as W04 was very very quick on them.

So far I'm thinking W04 is a bit of a pig on high fuel loads which was not dissimilar to W03 or W02 which was a more extreme case. That said, 04 is without a doubt better on tires. Whether or not they were on the brink of underheating their supersofts yet overheating their mediums at first has yet to be known, not enough information to conjecture not to mention the ambient and track temps were wildly off what anyone was prepared for.

Anon123
Anon123

Schumacher qualified well in Malaysia 2012 so I imagine the more powerful cars will benefit from the track having multiple straights preceded by slow corners. I think the Mercedes will be very fast in the first sector and possibly the final sector to.

spadeflush

Anon123 wrote:Schumacher qualified well in Malaysia 2012 so I imagine the more powerful cars will benefit from the track having multiple straights preceded by slow corners. I think the Mercedes will be very fast in the first sector and possibly the final sector to.
They had the DDRS advantage last year, so the 2 long straights definitely helped. This year they're pretty slow in the speed traps so I doubt they ll enjoy a similar advantage. I'm not saying they wont be strong in qualifying, just that the W04 has different strong points than the W03
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

Richard
Richard

oops... I seemed to miss the race because you're talking about who used which tyres and when.

Not any more - it's been punted off to the Australian thread.

Jackuar

Nando wrote:
Jackuar wrote:I'm not sure with the numbers for Hamilton, but I distinctly remember that Alonso topped the chart for a while. I was watching online. The trap read 308+kmph for him. Couldn't get the final charts.
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html

ALO was 4th quickest,
Thank you... My eyes were right then during that while :D

Gonna be interesting to see what Lewis can do with DRS + Sepang straight...
Finishing second is being the first one of losers....

Artur Craft

raymondu999 wrote:I'm conflicted. I want a fully dry weekend so to really see the pecking order, but at the same time I love wet races... but then again with the FIA's health and safety fanaticism of late, we'd get at best a damp race and not a wet race :lol:
I'm also looking forward to a dry weekend for reasons of more clearly knowing the pecking order.

Nobody is mentioning them but I think C32 can do quite well here. They couldn't even race, with their decent driver, in Melbourne so their true pace is totally unkown.

In the PR, Hulk says he looks forward to it as being good on high speed corners remains a quality of Sauber.

The good downforce + low drag of the car + low tire deg could make them fight with Mercedes for the lower points, I reckon

Hail22

Weather updated, monsoon showers/storm slated for Sunday's race *does sun dance to shoo it away*

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caHLLF4NIbU[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Shrieker

Hamilton says they've looked at the data and that they'll be more competitive at Sepang.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

raymondu999 wrote:I'd say watch out for a different pecking order. Melbourne 2013 was very cold by f1 average standards. Let's see how the cars go in more representative hot conditions. And a more representative aero track.
I agree with this. Vettel and Horner were quite bullish on Friday of Australia and were saying the tyres worked properly and lasted longer in the warmer temperatures.

On the other hand, surely the warmer temperatures will help Ferrari and Lotus, at least in qualifying?

raymondu999

Gerhard Berger wrote:On the other hand, surely the warmer temperatures will help Ferrari and Lotus, at least in qualifying?
Yes - *if* that was their qualifying issue.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

dayzer
dayzer

Should be interesting with Pirelli confirming that they will be using the new P Zero Orange hard compound. And with the uncertain weather coming into play should be a good race!
For all your F1 needs - FormulaSpy.com