Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
outer_bongolia

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

It's from testing, but still shows a nice view of the water. Especially the air moving around the driver's helmet (or am I reading it wrong?)
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Harsha
Harsha

dxpetrov wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:I think it's too early to make valid conclusions. The conditions in Australia were not the expected ones. On a hotter track it may happen that those having graining due to inability to reach and maintain the desired tyre temperature will be fine and those who manage to heat the tyres in colder weather will overheat. Current tyres temperature windows are quite narrow.
RB9 top speed on a straight should be a notch higher IMO.
It's 6th fastest. What else would you want. This is MASSIVE difference compared to last year when they were usually at the bottom. This is actually scary thing: to be able to have good top speed with all that downforce. It means they have made something special there. Just watch it. Once they unlock the tires in terms of management they will be flying away from everyone.
http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html
I Don't think it was a Big thing RBR was running same Speed as they were in 2011. They are just 4 KPH slower in 2012 compared to 2013.Also don't forget that we had a Wet qualifying session and other cars doesn't have the Fastest Lap time on DRY tires
Australia 2011: http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html
Vettel : 308.3 P17 Webber : 308.3 P18
Australia 2012: http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html
Vettel : 303.7 P19 Webber : 302.6 P20
Australia 2013: http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html
Vettel : 307.6 P06 Webber : 304.9 P09
So i say just wait until we had a Complete Dry qualification and we can see what the Bulls can do and where they can stack up mate.
But once RBR fix their Tire issues and little problems and equalize their Race pace with Qualifying Pace they will start Dominating

raymondu999

beelsebob wrote:The thing is, managing tyres are part of the characteristics of the car. They're part of the characteristics of how much downforce you have, they're part of the characteristics of how the suspension interacts with the track. They're part of the characteristics of the drivability of the engine. They're part of the characteristics of how the breaks heat the tyres. They're part of .........
I agree.
I agree with you that certainly the RedBull appears to be clearly the fastest over one lap. But I disagree that it's the fastest car. The Lotus, at least now, appears to be significantly faster over the distance that's being asked of it.
That's sort of my point - and not even just over one lap. Look at the start-of-stint pace of the Red Bull. If you were to fuel-correct the start-of-stint pace of the Red Bull, vs the Ferrari and the Lotus, the Red Bull comes out either neck and neck or better. So even in (Melbourne) race trim, it has pace. It just can't keep it up - which has been my point all this while.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:That's sort of my point - and not even just over one lap. Look at the start-of-stint pace of the Red Bull. If you were to fuel-correct the start-of-stint pace of the Red Bull, vs the Ferrari and the Lotus, the Red Bull comes out either neck and neck or better. So even in (Melbourne) race trim, it has pace. It just can't keep it up - which has been my point all this while.
But how quick would it have been going if they had been driving to a sector time in order to keep their tyres as fresh as the Ferrari? More so, how quick would it have been going if they'd been trying to match the Lotus' tyre life. I don't believe the answer is anywhere near as quick.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Harsha wrote: So i say just wait until we had a Complete Dry qualification and we can see what the Bulls can do and where they can stack up mate.
But once RBR fix their Tire issues and little problems and equalize their Race pace with Qualifying Pace they will start Dominating
That's what I was trying to say. Based on previous seasons RBR approach has always been towards best combined lap time, gaining from speed they have in the slower parts of a track and not top straight line speed. Their strategy is to start on pole and then not lose the lead. But sometimes it happens as was in the last race they are overtaken during pit stops and although fast enough to catch a car in front they lack the minimal speed difference to overtake, even with DRS. Added to that is also the not so good tyre handling. But it may be due to the colder than expected conditions. All teams in fact are going to try to fine tune their setups tyrewise in the next few races. And only then we'll have some observations on which to make conclusions.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Harsha
Harsha

Dragonfly wrote: That's what I was trying to say. Based on previous seasons RBR approach has always been towards best combined lap time, gaining from speed they have in the slower parts of a track and not top straight line speed. Their strategy is to start on pole and then not lose the lead. But sometimes it happens as was in the last race they are overtaken during pit stops and although fast enough to catch a car in front they lack the minimal speed difference to overtake, even with DRS. Added to that is also the not so good tyre handling. But it may be due to the colder than expected conditions. All teams in fact are going to try to fine tune their setups tyrewise in the next few races. And only then we'll have some observations on which to make conclusions.
All the Time RBR was working with this Strategy only. They want to have the Maximum Non DRS speed along with aggressive gearing which gives Quick acceleration so that they can run away from the field and nullify the DRS threat. In the First 2 or 3 laps it was worked well too in Australia but due to the Less Tyre life they can't continue it through out the Race.
AS you said All the Teams would try to Fine tune their Setup to have Maximum tire life over a Stint then we may see Perfect scenario of 2013. But if RBR can match the Lotus tire wear then They will do what Vettel did in Japan 2012. Get a Gap so that you can have Extra pit stop and win the race comfortably.

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

We should start looking at Webber's pace to have a full picture. SV had a wrong setup. There was nothing wrong with Webber's tires and race, apart from the start. And he was also in the traffic most of the time.

beelsebob
beelsebob

dxpetrov wrote:We should start looking at Webber's pace to have a full picture. SV had a wrong setup. There was nothing wrong with Webber's tires and race, apart from the start. And he was also in the traffic most of the time.
This needn't be because of setup. It could simply be that Webber was running at a much slower pace than Vettel. No, he didn't have tyre issues, but he was also behind other cars (e.g. Hamilton, Rosberg, Massa) that had a faster pace, and fewer tyre issues than him.

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

beelsebob wrote:
dxpetrov wrote:We should start looking at Webber's pace to have a full picture. SV had a wrong setup. There was nothing wrong with Webber's tires and race, apart from the start. And he was also in the traffic most of the time.
This needn't be because of setup. It could simply be that Webber was running at a much slower pace than Vettel. No, he didn't have tyre issues, but he was also behind other cars (e.g. Hamilton, Rosberg, Massa) that had a faster pace, and fewer tyre issues than him.
Not at all. Webber was running at much better pace, only to be slowed down by slower cars in front of him. Nobody was paying attention but the graphs from f1fanatic.co.uk show that. Horner also stressed that mark's pace was competitive and it was due to his setup. We don't need to invent hot water here trying to pin=point at something else (if anything at all!!??). There are people out there in F1 who actually has this job as a profession.

Juzh

dxpetrov wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Not at all. Webber was running at much better pace, only to be slowed down by slower cars in front of him. Nobody was paying attention but the graphs from f1fanatic.co.uk show that. Horner also stressed that mark's pace was competitive and it was due to his setup. We don't need to invent hot water here trying to pin=point at something else (if anything at all!!??). There are people out there in F1 who actually has this job as a profession.
Maybe mark's setup is more conservative on tyres but lacks ultimate pace of Sebastian's setup?

Maxion
Maxion

McLaren apologises to Webber for ECU issue

McLaren Electronic Systems (MES) has apologised to Mark Webber and Red Bull following the season-opener in Melbourne, with the company's standard ECU, used by all 22 drivers, developing an issue in the Australian's RB9 prior to the race start.

Webber, who fell down the order from second to seventh in the space of two corners, lost telemetry data on his formation lap, leading to a full system reset. Although MES had initially claimed that the device was working normally, a subsequent post-race investigation at its base uncovered an issue and has thus prompted the apology.

"The electronic units themselves ran without incident in Melbourne, but there was a software-related issue that meant that Mark Webber's Red Bull Racing car's garage data system had to be re-started during the formation lap," read an MES statement. "That disrupted his preparations for the start of the race, for which Mark and the team has our apology. We are working together with them to prevent any recurrence."

The ECU currently in use was introduced ahead of the 2013 season, being tested for the first time during the pre-season gatherings at Jerez and the Circuit de Catalunya. It will remain in place for the transition to 1.6-litre V6 turbocharged engines in 2014.
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2919 ... ecu-issue/

Now that's annoying.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Juzh wrote:...

Maybe mark's setup is more conservative on tyres but lacks ultimate pace of Sebastian's setup?
Last year Mark typically suffered higher degradation than Sebastian, often having to complete extra stops... though these could have been Red Bull putting Mark in a gap because the Red Bull cannot overtake..

In General I doubt the Melbourne results are a proper indication of relative tyre wear between the cars. The track temperature was so cold (~16 degrees) therefore the tyres lost a lot of its surface heat on the straights, and then in the traction zones it grained due to the surface not being up to temperature.

The Red Bulls lap time advantage was lost because they generate their pace in the corners and traction events.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

stefan_
stefan_

Malaysia 2013 - Thursday (21.03.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

raymondu999

Autosport is reporting the following:
Sauber head of vehicle dynamics Pierre Wache is set to join Red Bull. Wache is still officially a Sauber employee, but a spokesperson confirmed to AUTOSPORT that he “will leave the company in the near future”. Former Red Bull man Ben Waterhouse, who moved to Sauber three years ago, has held Wache’s old Sauber role since January 1.
I wonder if this will help bring the Pirelli-preservation knowledge that Sauber has had in recent years.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Forza

F1 Malaysian GP - Thursday - 21/3/2013