Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
infy
infy

Re: Ferrari F138

Damaged maybe?

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

To me it seemed intentional as they performed a number of laps with that exhaust blowing setup
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Chuckjr

Sounds like a blast of revs at each downshift. Could it be some sort of stabilizing increase technique when braking? It would seem that would result in big blasts of hot air from the exhaust to therefore load the rear end with greater air mass/force, thus, greater aero load to rear end. That's just a guess, and I'm no expert.
Watching F1 since 1986.

bhall
bhall

There's still some leeway in the rules for off-throttle blowing.

The maximum delay allowed, computed from the respective signals as recorded by the ADR or ECU, between the accelerator pedal position input signal and the corresponding output demand being achieved is 50ms.

There's 50ms, or roughly the amount of time it takes the transmission to shift gears.

Except when anti-stall or idle speed control are active, ignition base offsets may only be applied above 80% throttle and 15,000rpm and for the sole purpose of reducing cylinder pressure for reliability.

And here's my wild, uninformed speculation of the day: I wonder if 5.6.6 could be used to retard ignition timing in such a way that the Helmholtz chamber, seen below and angled much farther away from the rest of the exhaust than it was last year, collects a bit of fuel at high revs, which would then be sucked out of the chamber off-throttle due to the Kadenecy effect and ignited on contact with the hotter exhaust to give a bit more oomph to the 50ms pulse allowed by 5.6.1. Not all the fuel would stay in the chamber; some would be expelled (and ignited) before the engine goes off-throttle (which might make the exhaust and bodywork surrounding it so hot that teams would need to immediately cool it with wet towels or something :D ). But, if just a little bit was left at the very end...

(One of these days, they're gonna lead me away in a straitjacket. I know it.)

Hail22

After reading the regulation and looking at what you're pointing at, as well as the video that was linked earlier...its highly plausible due to the fact the blowing/bursts that are occurring are not off-throttle per say...sounds like there is an ignition upon down shifting.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

amouzouris

While what bhalgk points out is very interesting, I think that there is no fuel being burned while off-throttle blowing. If you listen to it very carefully you can see (hear) that the sound is very different to 2011, it sounds empty. So i think that they are not hot blowing. I might be wrong.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Robbobnob wrote:As promised, here is my footage of Filepe's Ferrari during Friday practice.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2hsfd892hqu2 ... .50.00.mp4

A very distinctive off throttle when compared to Fernando and the other teams.

Unfortunately i don't have any usable video to compare the different cars only with the Williams Renault, which was more representative of the rest of the fields behaviour.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eujx8w9916c8r ... .51.12.mp4
I dug up the other videos i had from the 1st corner. These are from Sunday morning during qualifying. They give a good comparison for the Ferrari
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/00c7urnlbiowoh4/gv_EhtV-0W
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Crabbia
Crabbia

F1.Ru wrote:Some pic of Ferrari in Australian GP

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 013-61.jpg

©f1fanatic
For anyone who cares you can see on this photo that what we thought might be a IR camera for the tyre temp is still there. its between the outer edge of the side pod and the vertical turning vane/fin.

I really thought they would drop it after testing but it seems they have kept it on the car.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

bhall
bhall

amouzouris wrote:While what bhalgk points out is very interesting, I think that there is no fuel being burned while off-throttle blowing. If you listen to it very carefully you can see (hear) that the sound is very different to 2011, it sounds empty. So i think that they are not hot blowing. I might be wrong.
Actually, the only part of that whole bit I'm reasonably sure about is that it's not cold blowing. The difference in sound between 2011 and this year is but the duration of it; it's just shorter these days.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmGgvHflXgc[/youtube]

amouzouris

Actually listening to them one after the other I think you are right! Thanx! At least we cleared that up!

Ferraripilot

bhallg2k wrote:There's still some leeway in the rules for off-throttle blowing.

The maximum delay allowed, computed from the respective signals as recorded by the ADR or ECU, between the accelerator pedal position input signal and the corresponding output demand being achieved is 50ms.

There's 50ms, or roughly the amount of time it takes the transmission to shift gears.

Except when anti-stall or idle speed control are active, ignition base offsets may only be applied above 80% throttle and 15,000rpm and for the sole purpose of reducing cylinder pressure for reliability.

And here's my wild, uninformed speculation of the day: I wonder if 5.6.6 could be used to retard ignition timing in such a way that the Helmholtz chamber, seen below and angled much farther away from the rest of the exhaust than it was last year, collects a bit of fuel at high revs, which would then be sucked out of the chamber off-throttle due to the Kadenecy effect and ignited on contact with the hotter exhaust to give a bit more oomph to the 50ms pulse allowed by 5.6.1. Not all the fuel would stay in the chamber; some would be expelled (and ignited) before the engine goes off-throttle (which might make the exhaust and bodywork surrounding it so hot that teams would need to immediately cool it with wet towels or something :D ). But, if just a little bit was left at the very end...

(One of these days, they're gonna lead me away in a straitjacket. I know it.)
This not only explains their strange off-throttle rasp but also their larger-than-the-rest-of-the-field Helmholtz and its strange positioning (all in the name of obtaining more volume?)

bhall
bhall

I really don't know. The part of this thing that bugs me - an aspect I willfully ignored last night when I proffered my harebrained theory - is that any fuel is going to ignite on contact with any part of the exhaust, because it gets so damn hot - red hot, in fact. That's obviously going to make even very temporary "storage" of fuel a real problem.

One thing the Helmholtz chamber can do, however, is tune the Kadenecy effect of the exhaust at specific engine RPM ranges. So, maybe the whole thing is as simple as retarding ignition, as allowed by 5.6.6, at an RPM range that the engine would tend to hit just prior to a downshift. In that way, the exhaust system would scavenge that little bit of unspent fuel, which would ignite and energize exhaust gasses during the downshift. That's when you'd want the added downforce anyway.

Maxion
Maxion

bhallg2k wrote:I really don't know. The part of this thing that bugs me - an aspect I willfully ignored last night when I proffered my harebrained theory - is that any fuel is going to ignite on contact with any part of the exhaust, because it gets so damn hot - red hot, in fact. That's obviously going to make even very temporary "storage" of fuel a real problem.

One thing the Helmholtz chamber can do, however, is tune the Kadenecy effect of the exhaust at specific engine RPM ranges. So, maybe the whole thing is as simple as retarding ignition, as allowed by 5.6.6, at an RPM range that the engine would tend to hit just prior to a downshift. In that way, the exhaust system would scavenge that little bit of unspent fuel, which would ignite and energize exhaust gasses during the downshift. That's when you'd want the added downforce anyway.
I don't think that's too far fetched, watching the 2013 video of massa above it does sound like the blowing is happening while downshifting.

amouzouris

Also what I noticed is Fernando, at least, using opposite lock to correct an oversteer hardly visible as soon as he is done downshifting. Has anyone got a good onboard video with synced sound?

Low_drag
Low_drag

I think the so called IR camera that's on the corner of the side pod next to the vertical fins is merely a bolt head to hold the vertical fins onto the side pod. I keep seeing that question come up. I think sometimes our imagination gets the best of us, but it's also what creates innovation.