Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Shakeman

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

McLaren have apologised to RB and Webber over ECU issues. Seems the ECU is buggy.

Pup
Pup

Odd apology...
There was an issue with Mark Webber's data system in the garage during the formation lap. The ECU on the car was fine.

bhall
bhall

No, really.
gpupdate.net wrote:"The electronic units themselves ran without incident in Melbourne, but there was a software-related issue that meant that Mark Webber's Red Bull Racing car's garage data system had to be re-started during the formation lap," read an MES statement. "That disrupted his preparations for the start of the race, for which Mark and the team has our apology. We are working together with them to prevent any recurrence."

Shakeman

Pup wrote:Odd apology...
There was an issue with Mark Webber's data system in the garage during the formation lap. The ECU on the car was fine.
The apology was reported by James Allen on twitter, "#f1 McLaren has publicly apologised to Red Bull and Mark Webber for ECU problem which hurt his start in Melbourne"

BBC have the full account, http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21853491

StrikeForceF1
StrikeForceF1

Hail22 wrote:I believe in a blog it was titled Mclaren Honda 2015...so maybe that's why, a part from that I have no idea why he used the F2012 chassis...I'm not Patrick Viola... :?
Hi Hail
Sorry It wasn't directed at you ad I never meant that you were Patrick Viola...it was just a general question, I noticed that it was the Ferrari chassis and was wondering why would that be used when there are so many Macca pr photos available for them to photoshop.

Thanx for all the pics and the posts, really valuable info for me. Thanx

Pup
Pup

Shakeman wrote:
Pup wrote:Odd apology...
The apology was reported by James Allen on twitter, "#f1 McLaren has publicly apologised to Red Bull and Mark Webber for ECU problem which hurt his start in Melbourne"

BBC have the full account, http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21853491
Not quite the full account.
Red Bull initially suspected Webber's problem was caused by a failure of the standard ECU, which is supplied by McLaren Electronic Systems (MES).

However, post-race inspection by MES has pointed to an issue in the garage instead.

Gridlock

No, you're quoting them backwards.

But MES is not VMM so this is the wrong thread..

Shakeman

Just when you thought McLaren had decided to go forward with the 2013 car Sam Michael muddies the water, Adam Copper Tweet' "#F1 "Right now all our energies going into current car" says Sam Michael when asked about the 2012 car, but he admits there are "options""

Still not a cast iron definitely ruling out the 2012 car. They must have a concern they are not going to unlock the 2013 car at which point they go back. That's the only option I can see but surely by the time they've determined the 2013 car is indeed a lemon the 2012 car won't be an option because it itself will have slipped behind in development compared to competitors' cars.

The 2012 car may be better than the 2013 McLaren but compared to the rest of the field maybe not, they could find them selves racing a 2012 car that has been out developed and itself has limited development potential.

What other "options" do you think Sam Michael is alluding to?

raymondu999

How do the homologation rules work, in terms of them possibly reverting to the MP4-27?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:How do the homologation rules work, in terms of them possibly reverting to the MP4-27?
Well, the chassis has been crash tested, and the rules (as far as I can see in them) do not specify when they have to be crash tested, only that they do. So, I'm pretty sure they could just build the car and race it now.

Pup
Pup

Gridlock wrote:No, you're quoting them backwards.
No, McLaren's press release on Monday said both that they were sorry, and that the issue was not with their unit. Hence, my post that it was an 'odd' apology.

Shakeman

Pup wrote:
Gridlock wrote:No, you're quoting them backwards.
No, McLaren's press release on Monday said both that they were sorry, and that the issue was not with their unit. Hence, my post that it was an 'odd' apology.
Since McLaren (MES) aren't in the business of apologising for no reason there is obviously a problem in the ECU system. While there may not be an issue in the ECU itself there's obviously an issue that MES are responsible for in the ECU system hardware, software or operating instructions that caused it not to work as anticipated by RB on Sunday.

Pup
Pup

Geez, the mood among the McLarenites is so touchy this year, it's almost enough to make me an Alonso fan. I mean, I can't even say something was 'odd' without having people making an issue about it?

:roll:

j2004p
j2004p

bhallg2k wrote:I did both. I thought the metallic orange one looked like a wall at CotA, though. So, I deleted it.

http://i.imgur.com/lfSSgug.png

That one takes design elements from here...

http://i.imgur.com/8lL521I.jpg

...and here...

http://i.imgur.com/ZGkodZB.jpg

...and puts them together in a package that I think isn't too far fetched. Repsol title-sponsorship makes a lot more sense to me than does one from Telmex. I mean, if anyone is in a position to burn money, it's Carlos Slim. But, people like him usually don't amass their fortunes by burning money. Telmex makes money hand over fist due to a near-monopoly in Mexico and dominant positions in South America. However, that also means there's little potential for growth.

Repsol, on the other hand, has a long history with Honda in MotoGP, is a global firm that's trying to expand, and has "brand synergy" with McLaren.

EDIT: Mostly I'm just pleased with my photo edit. I didn't know how to do any of the things I did there until I actually did them.
Either way, good job on the composite. Looks like a believable colour scheme!

KATO

Does anybody know what happened to tooned-??
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna