2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Hail22

Re: 2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

raymondu999 wrote:Not sure if this has been posted already:

IMO, this weekend we'll see oPP or oOPP as possible strategies.
Yes I posted this two days ago....

The weather predictions are changing every 12 hours...weird.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Faustino
Faustino

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... l=en&tl=en

I fully expect Mercedes to be more competitive. The characteristics of the Melbourne track didn't really utilise the benefits of their FRIC system (explained in the article above)
Corners pulling more G's will see the W04 come into it's own.

I believe they could have had a better race in Australia had they chosen a better strategy. Lewis or Nico were hardly going to criticize the team afterwards.

Has anyone got the latest reports on the weather for the weekend?

Hail22

Faustino wrote: Has anyone got the latest reports on the weather for the weekend?
Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/S ... a+MYXX0031
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Faustino
Faustino

Hail22 wrote:
Faustino wrote: Has anyone got the latest reports on the weather for the weekend?
Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/S ... a+MYXX0031
Thanks! So wet practice sessions, dry qualifying and then wet race.. I can see Alonso doing well here

clipsy1H

quali:

Vettel
Webber
Alonso
Kimi
Lewis
Rosberg
Massa
Grosjean
Button
Hulk

Hail22

Gilles Villeneuve

korzeniow
korzeniow

Phil wrote: Race:
- Alonso
- Vettel
- Massa
- Hamilton
- Rosberg

(For Webbers sake, I so hope I'm wrong)
I would live to hear your reaseons as to why you put Lotus drivers outside of top 5 ... unless it is you wish list
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

NathanOlder

Artur Craft wrote:
NathanOlder wrote: But with their decent driver, on a damp drying track (which Hulkenberg excels in) The C32 was 2 seconds slower than the W04. I dont think the C32 will be fighting with the W04. Especially when Lewis and Ross say their car will be better in sepang.

. Hulk got a fluke pole under those conditions but that's all. It doesn't automatically prove anything.

Hulk didnt fluke anything in those conditions in 2010. Think for 1 minute. 2 races ago, similar conditions, in a different car Hulk was infront of Button, and fighting with Lewis for a win. Far from a fluke buddy
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Artur Craft

Blackout wrote:Mercdes communication strategy since 2011 atleast:
"Everything is fine. we found the problems and neutralised them. next time we'll be much stronger"
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/ori ... ad-bob.gif
Yes, I already said this as well

If anything, I'm only expecting Mercedes to finish even worse in Sepang

It will still take a while but the hype and positivism around this team will gradually decrease
Cocles wrote: So far, everything with the W04 and Hamilton has been very positive.
Only if you want to see it that way.

From all the hype they had of being the pace setters after a glory run winter testing, it was really an embarassment to see them so far behind Red Bull in Q and ridiculously slower on race pace than Top 3

Me and some other members never bought the Mercedes glory run during the last days of winter testings, we said the car didnt feature any special pieces on it and that it would be VERY strange if they were the fastest car. We obviously got attacked by some hardcore fans which overlook the technical side of it.

It's no surprise for us, who never believed in them, that W04 seems merely as a slightly improved W03
NathanOlder wrote: Hulk didnt fluke anything in those conditions in 2010. Think for 1 minute. 2 races ago, similar conditions, in a different car Hulk was infront of Button, and fighting with Lewis for a win. Far from a fluke buddy
You just cherry picked 2 out of many situations where the track resembled Australia Q2 and where Hulk was very good. In all the others, he was nothing special.

As I said before, I'm still expecting a good performance from C32 in Sepang. If it proves me wrong, then I'll accept the failure of it's design

godlameroso

...Sigh i believe I spelled out the weather already, wet p1 & 2 dry p3 q123 and race.
Saishū kōnā

Philledan
Philledan

Artur Craft wrote: From all the hype they had of being the pace setters after a glory run winter testing, it was really an embarassment to see them so far behind Red Bull in Q and ridiculously slower on race pace than Top 3
since when is qualifying 3rd behind the redbulls an embarassement? Even though they had some fast times during testing, i dont recall mercedes bragging about it, or stating they have the best or a better pacakage than their rivals. For a team that had such a disappointing last 3 years, for hamilton to qualify 3rd and finish the race 5th, aint all that embarassing, nor ridiculous in my eyes...

NathanOlder

Philledan wrote:
Artur Craft wrote: From all the hype they had of being the pace setters after a glory run winter testing, it was really an embarassment to see them so far behind Red Bull in Q and ridiculously slower on race pace than Top 3
since when is qualifying 3rd behind the redbulls an embarassement? Even though they had some fast times during testing, i dont recall mercedes bragging about it, or stating they have the best or a better pacakage than their rivals. For a team that had such a disappointing last 3 years, for hamilton to qualify 3rd and finish the race 5th, aint all that embarassing, nor ridiculous in my eyes...
Dont worry about it mate. It seems there are many people about who just want to slam teams and never accept they make any progress. Mercedes showed their hand on light fuel in Barcelona. As did Ferrari. No one else really did, When it comes down to total speed and driving flat out for the fastest times, Mercedes were Faster than Ferrari, Lotus, Mclaren, Sauber, Force India, Williams, Toro Rosso, Caterham & Marussia. Not bad going if you ask me.

The fact of the matter is, the W04 IS faster than the F138, MP4-28 & E21. Its only down to running on heavy fuel and getting the best from the tyres over 20+ laps where the Ferrari & E21 excel.

F1 should be about smashing lap recors lap after lap. Not endurance racing. Bring back the Bridgestone :mrgreen:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

korzeniow
korzeniow

Artur Craft wrote:Me and some other members never bought the Mercedes glory run during the last days of winter testings, we said the car didnt feature any special pieces on it and that it would be VERY strange if they were the fastest car. We obviously got attacked by some hardcore fans which overlook the technical side of it.

It's no surprise for us, who never believed in them, that W04 seems merely as a slightly improved W03
Exactly. The biggest BS were And Gary Anderson's fuel adjusted times. Hyping up Mercedes to be class of the field. Sky team added to that as well.

I always though there is consensus that long runs give the best picture when it comes to guess the relative pace in testing. But this winter the media focused only on one lap pace. And that's only because of the Hamilton, there is no better explanation really.

I remember after Australian race Builier was interviewed by Sky team. Surprised Herbert asked him where Lotus pace came from all of the sudden.

Boullier responded with some diplomatic talk of course, but even I know they had the good race pace and I'm not paid to vioce my opinions. That just shows you how much media focused on hyping up their favourites that the true picture of what's going on slipped their attention.
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

Phil

korzeniow wrote:
Phil wrote: Race:
- Alonso
- Vettel
- Massa
- Hamilton
- Rosberg

(For Webbers sake, I so hope I'm wrong)
I would live to hear your reaseons as to why you put Lotus drivers outside of top 5 ... unless it is you wish list
Good question. It's neither a wish list, nor a prediction based on any analysis. I think races usually show that any factors can influence them and cause a freak result. I think Lotus is strong, possibly the favorite, but I'm playing a bit devils advocat here, just for the sake of participating in the fun in making a prediction. I hope that Mercedes will be stronger - I do think Mercedes could be stronger. Mercedes pushing Lotus out of the top 5 is probably less likely than the otherway around, now that I think about it, but as I said, it's more of a guessing thing. Perhaps I see Lotus as the dark-horse 'who got it right in Melbourne' but could easily 'get it wrong' on a different track, where as Mercedes, Redbull and Ferrari are more within the same ballpark in how they use their tyres and will have learned something valuable from the last race.

Besides, it's more fun to guess if you're going against the odds, which is probably why you're asking me in the first place. :twisted:
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter