2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
kooleracer
kooleracer

Re: 2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

CHT wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
CHT wrote:Vettel was using FP3 medium tires during Q1, must have been 6 to 7 laps old tires when they put it on for Q1.
In Q2, Vettel did 3 laps on another set of medium.
No he wasn't. The tyres they (dare to) use in FP3 are all handed back after the session ends.

But what he did do was use his Q1 tyres in Q2, meaning he starts tomorrow with 2 sets of new options and 3 of new primes, with one set that's done Q1 AND Q2.
according to the F1 timing apps, Vettel medium tire was around 10 or 11 lap old when he finish the session. I cant remember him doing that many laps during Q1.
Timing equipment not working as it should there a lot of glitches.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

CHT
CHT

could be, but that doesnt explain how a pole setter could be struggling in Q1 with medium tires

kooleracer
kooleracer

CHT wrote:could be, but that doesnt explain how a pole setter could be struggling in Q1 with medium tires
I heard ted krativz saying on the notebook that Vettel didn't have a clear lap because of traffic. Maybe that explains it a bit. Because Seb did managed a 1:36.4 in FP3.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

raymondu999

CHT wrote:Image
That just confirms what I said. The first set of mediums (black lettering in white circle) denotes NEW MEDIUM. white lettering in black circle denotes USED MEDIUM.
according to the F1 timing apps, Vettel medium tire was around 10 or 11 lap old when he finish the session. I cant remember him doing that many laps during Q1.
No, it doesn't say that. It says that the Q1 set he used, did 3 laps. And then 10 laps in total for Q2 - that includes the first 3 laps done in Q1.

Here's the situation, in a blow by blow. EVERY TEAM, BAR NONE - starts qualifying 1 with 3 new sets of options and 3 new sets of primes. The tyres they used in FP3 have to be handed back, BEFORE QUALIFYING STARTS.

Q1 - Vettel comes out on NEW MEDIUM, driving to a TARGET TIME (he wasn't slow - he was driving slowly on purpose)
Q2 - Vettel comes out on the SAME SET HE USED IN Q1 and drives flat out on those old tyres.
Q3 - no dry tyres used.

In Sebastian's own words. I added the bit in brackets.
And once it was enough [for Q1] we obviously came in to save the tyres because we used them again in Q2 and it was just enough to get to Q3.
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 14401.html

Comprende?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

lizardfolk

SilverArrow10 wrote:I dont like PDR's attitude at the moment. He's being beaten by someone that should be slower than him and that has already got the team around him and he dosn't like it. Think he might have a Hamilton 2011 style meltdown later in the season if it carrys on.
He's weirdly still lagging behind teammates. Hulkenberg's understandable but Sutil thrashing him is truly surprising. Either Sutil is driving out of his skin at the moment or PdR isn't performing to the true nature of the Force India cars

raymondu999

lizardfolk wrote:
SilverArrow10 wrote:I dont like PDR's attitude at the moment. He's being beaten by someone that should be slower than him and that has already got the team around him and he dosn't like it. Think he might have a Hamilton 2011 style meltdown later in the season if it carrys on.
He's weirdly still lagging behind teammates. Hulkenberg's understandable but Sutil thrashing him is truly surprising. Either Sutil is driving out of his skin at the moment or PdR isn't performing to the true nature of the Force India cars
IMO he's always been overrated.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

CHT
CHT

raymondu999 wrote:
That just confirms what I said. The first set of mediums (black lettering in white circle) denotes NEW MEDIUM. white lettering in black circle denotes USED MEDIUM.
No, it doesn't say that. It says that the Q1 set he used, did 3 laps. And then 10 laps in total for Q2 - that includes the first 3 laps done in Q1.

Here's the situation, in a blow by blow. EVERY TEAM, BAR NONE - starts qualifying 1 with 3 new sets of options and 3 new sets of primes. The tyres they used in FP3 have to be handed back, BEFORE QUALIFYING STARTS.

Q1 - Vettel comes out on NEW MEDIUM, driving to a TARGET TIME (he wasn't slow - he was driving slowly on purpose)
Q2 - Vettel comes out on the SAME SET HE USED IN Q1 and drives flat out on those old tyres.
Q3 - no dry tyres used.

And once it was enough [for Q1] we obviously came in to save the tyres because we used them again in Q2 and it was just enough to get to Q3.

Comprende?
yes now it make sense. So Q1 Vettel is trying to preserve his tires for Q2, so all in all he only use 1 set of medium throughout qualifying. which mean he has got a brand new set of medium tires for sunday. This should help in his tire strategy for the race.

kooleracer
kooleracer

CHT Vettel didn't coast, he barely made it. 1:37:8 was really poor lap. Didn't you see their faces on the wall and in the garage. There is no such thing as driving to a lap delta when the gap between Q1 and Q2 was only 1.5s. Also other cars could still improve there lap time. But the other part of your comment spot on.

Neno
Neno

kooleracer wrote:
CHT wrote:could be, but that doesnt explain how a pole setter could be struggling in Q1 with medium tires
I heard ted krativz saying on the notebook that Vettel didn't have a clear lap because of traffic. Maybe that explains it a bit. Because Seb did managed a 1:36.4 in FP3.
maybe they should add raikkonen one more 3+ grid penalty. this should clear race for vettel.

Nando
Nando

raymondu999 wrote:IMO he's always been overrated.
Did a pretty handy job in F3..

And drove beautifully against Hulkenberg for most of the season. Actually drove three races with a broken chassis as well.

Sutil just is that good. More like he´s the one without recognition.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Nando
Nando

kooleracer wrote:CHT Vettel didn't coast, he barely made it. 1:37:8 was really poor lap. Didn't you see their faces on the wall and in the garage. There is no such thing as driving to a lap delta when the gap between Q1 and Q2 was only 1.5s. Also other cars could still improve there lap time. But the other part of your comment spot on.
I call bullsh*t too.

He was struggling. It´s better to put in one bonkers lap then doing several laps 1 second off pace.

Even if you have 1 second off, it´s only 0.066s slower in every corner. So overall the same energy put in the tires almost.
especially with several laps.

You could start to see it in FP3 even since the only reason Vettel topped it was because he was the last man out probably wanting to just top the chart.

motobaleno

raymondu999 wrote: Q1 - Vettel comes out on NEW MEDIUM, driving to a TARGET TIME (he wasn't slow - he was driving slowly on purpose)
Q3 - no dry tyres used.

Comprende?
ok, I see your point but I'm not much interested in why seb was slow in q1: I'm sure that he wasn't REALLY that slow, but why he didn't simply use hard on q1 like others...to preserve them?...maybe....it seems the only possible explanation but it doen not fully convince me

raymondu999

Nando wrote:Did a pretty handy job in F3..
Sure. That and his DTM championship year. Now name another year he's done well?
And drove beautifully against Hulkenberg for most of the season.
I disagree. That was a struggling Hulkenberg, who hadn't yet adapted to the Pirellis.
Actually drove three races with a broken chassis as well.
"broken chassis" is indeed a common codeword for "placebo upgrade to help driver's confidence." See Kimi in 09, Vettel in 2010.
He's good alright. But doesn't make Di Resta any less rubbish.
motobaleno wrote:but why he didn't simply use hard on q1 like others...to preserve them?...maybe....it seems the only possible explanation but it doen not fully convince me
Yes. Because he wants 3 new sets of hards for the race, rather than having 2 new and 1 used.
Nando wrote:Even if you have 1 second off, it´s only 0.066s slower in every corner. So overall the same energy put in the tires almost.
You have numbers to back that up? Otherwise,
Nando wrote:I call bullsh*t too.
You'd be surprised how much backing off even slightly will save the tyres.

Look at Webber for example. He did a lap a couple of tenths off Vettel in Q1, then Rennie told him it wouldn't be enough, and he could bang a laptime in on demand - and that was on a set of options that had done a flier. Just look at Vettel's laptime in Q2, a 37.2 - and that laptime was done on a set of tyres that had done Q1.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mandrake
Mandrake

Please imagine a +1 for you there ray

Nando
Nando

raymondu999 wrote:
Nando wrote:Did a pretty handy job in F3..
Sure. That and his DTM championship year. Now name another year he's done well?
I´d say every year he´s done very well.
raymondu999 wrote:
And drove beautifully against Hulkenberg for most of the season.
I disagree. That was a struggling Hulkenberg, who hadn't yet adapted to the Pirellis.
Must be the classic for people who struggle.
raymondu999 wrote:
Actually drove three races with a broken chassis as well.
"broken chassis" is indeed a common codeword for "placebo upgrade to help driver's confidence." See Kimi in 09, Vettel in 2010.
Another classic. He can´t possibly actually have a faulty chassis, much like Webber in 2011 i believe (AUS)
raymondu999 wrote:
He's good alright. But doesn't make Di Resta any less rubbish.
You in a Formula 1 car would be rubbish. A guy who is a DTM champ and beat Vettel in equal cars is not by any stretch "rubbish".
raymondu999 wrote:
Nando wrote:Even if you have 1 second off, it´s only 0.066s slower in every corner. So overall the same energy put in the tires almost.
You have numbers to back that up? Otherwise,
Don´t come and talk about numbers to back things up when you spewed out the most outlandish things one can.
Again, it´s 0.06 seconds in every single corner. This is nothing.
raymondu999 wrote:
Nando wrote:I call bullsh*t too.
You'd be surprised how much backing off even slightly will save the tyres.
The exact opposite of what Button is saying.