2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Dyanxx
Dyanxx

Re: 2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

Artur Craft wrote:
SilverArrow10 wrote: I think pole was very possible today for mercedes and in the future they are bound to get there. Hamilton is known to be the only man that can really challenge Vettel on a saturday. With a competitive car under him that is.
To be based on what happened. Hamilton couldn't even keep up with Rosberg's pace, so let's not even speculate if he could challenge Vettel

Because RBR and Lotus went to qualify on hard tires and setup completely for the race, I guess the way would be free for Mercedes to grab the pole. But it would be a Rosberg one or maybe the Ferraris could challenge, albeit I also think they are more suited to race pace.

Anyway, as some Mercedes fans are kind of thinking I'm picking on them, I would like to say that their car, albeit not the fastest or second fastest, is quite decent in Sepang, it seems.

I believe RBR, Lotus and Ferrari are gonna be in one level at the race while Mercedes will be on the one behind it with, maybe, FI getting close. All this assuming a dry track, of course.

Force India is a quite good car, good on them. Nobody expected such thing after winter testings but their 2013 contender is pretty solid and quick on all kinds of demands. They are fast on big straight sectors as well as on downforce demanding ones.

I must say C32 is a disaster of a car, as is the case with the Williams and the Mclaren(to some extent). I was thinking the car would be great but it turned out to be a massive failure.

I got it completely wrong with these 3 cars, I was thinking all of them would be very fast but even FI is really faster than them

I like to point out when I was completely wrong about something and wish more members will do the same :wink:
Yeah, you were definitely wrong about a few things.

ringo

Especially when he said Shumacher was the faster driver. let's be honest with ourselves. The qualifying records show who was the faster driver. Who went into Q3 the most; who sometimes outqualified their teammate by a second sometimes. I think he needs to have a more objective perspective on things. Otherwise ironically he'll fall into the same fanboy classification he accused someone of being in earlier.
I didn't watch quali for this race, but Q3 is what counts the most which sets up for the bigger picture, the race.
For Sure!!

chepoi
chepoi

achtung!!!
now 1:56 p.m (GMT +8) in Kuala Lumpur.......... and it's RAINING HEAVILY with thunderstorm!

Cocles

Artur Craft wrote:I like to point out when I was completely wrong about something and wish more members will do the same :wink:
Right, although the trick is to do it when you're NOT trying to prove you're better than the rest of us.

-----

Things I'll be watching for...

Red Bull tire degradation.
And are Mercedes closer to Ferrari and Red Bull during the race, or are they closer to the mid runners behind them?
Does Ferrari allow Massa to stay ahead of Alonso?

I'm betting Red Bull will have tire problems like in Australia. They seem to be doing an impression of the W03. I'm hoping Mercedes will snag fourth place if not better. Alonso will do all he can to pass Massa in the first lap. Massa doesn't always roll over though. 2 Ferraris out of the race? Doubtful, but hmm...

Artur Craft

ringo wrote:Especially when he said Shumacher was the faster driver. let's be honest with ourselves. The qualifying records show who was the faster driver. Who went into Q3 the most; who sometimes outqualified their teammate by a second sometimes. I think he needs to have a more objective perspective on things. Otherwise ironically he'll fall into the same fanboy classification he accused someone of being in earlier.
I didn't watch quali for this race, but Q3 is what counts the most which sets up for the bigger picture, the race.
I was only being objective. You are the one that is seeing things from a "fan" point of view

I simply took Mercedes best qualifying time last year, which was done by Schumacher, you like it or not. That time was 0,25s faster than Rosberg's best. It was a 2012 versus 2013 or W03 versus W04 comparison around Sepang to point out how there is no evidence W04 is 2s quicker than it's predecessor.

You read what wasn't written. I guess you might be fan of any of Schumacher's rival so you got mad because of me quoting his superior speed on that one.

To further pick on what you brought, last year, more often than not, Schumacher was the guy with more speed in Qualifyings, even if had bad luck in some of them, and Schumacher was the one that outqualified Rosberg by over 1 second in places Spa and Austin qualifyings.

But this is all irelevant, and even more irelevant in this thread.

If you didn't even watch this qualifying, maybe you shouldn't have try to argue with something I wasn't even pointing out anyway
Cocles wrote: Right, although the trick is to do it when you're NOT trying to prove you're better than the rest of us.
Oh no, I wasn't trying to prove such thing as I don't believe in such thing.

I just think some members should look at things in a more unbiased way sometimes

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

chepoi wrote:achtung!!!
now 1:56 p.m (GMT +8) in Kuala Lumpur.......... and it's RAINING HEAVILY with thunderstorm!
But it's hot n sunny here in the circuit expecting some rain in the middle of the race tho

Forza

radarguruf1 wrote: #F1 storm watch #Sepang 14:36 MYT: Large, heavy cell to the NE (approx 15 miles) now slowly enveloping towards the circuit.

boyracer94
boyracer94

Its raining now

raymondu999

Nando wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I disagree. That was a struggling Hulkenberg, who hadn't yet adapted to the Pirellis.
Must be the classic for people who struggle.
Suit yourself. But the facts do show that once Hulkenberg had ample time to adjust to the Pirellis, he trounced Di Resta - outqualifying and outracing him in every race after Singapore.
raymondu999 wrote:"broken chassis" is indeed a common codeword for "placebo upgrade to help driver's confidence." See Kimi in 09, Vettel in 2010.
Another classic. He can´t possibly actually have a faulty chassis, much like Webber in 2011 i believe (AUS)
Just ask anyone else - broken chassis is generally taken to mean "the driver has a lack of confidence right now." Notice how his broken chassis appeared the same time that McLaren announced they signed Perez? Quite the coincidence.
He's good alright. But doesn't make Di Resta any less rubbish.
You in a Formula 1 car would be rubbish.[/quote]
Of course I would. So would you. But this isn't about you or me. It's about Di Resta. Whether or not you or I are any good in a Formula One car has no bearing on the discussion topic of "Di Resta."
it´s 0.06 seconds in every single corner. This is nothing.
Ok I'll bite. You are aware, I take it, of what the following formula represents?

The required cornering force doesn't decrease "linearly" to the speed you're carrying through the corner. It *squares* along with it. Also - you have to remember that going slower means you have less downforce pushing the car down, meaning less heat going into the tyres, via hysteresis. Again, because downforce is quadratically proportional to the speed you're going, it's quite a difference.
You'd be surprised how much backing off even slightly will save the tyres.
The exact opposite of what Button is saying.[/quote]
I've never seen that quote and hence am unable to formulate a proper rebuttal, if required. Could you share a link?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

I wonder if the Lotus and Ferrari will still have a start system advantage in the wet conditions. The surface is positively wet now.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FrukostScones

Vettel wet dream coming true.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Steven
Owner

Again, we are chatting throughout the race on the #f1technical chatbox in IRC.
You can join through an IRC client programme or via the webchat :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/pr/livechat.php

SilverArrow10

I really didn't want a wet race.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

beardRage
beardRage

Rain falling on pit lane now according to williams
The liberator who destroyed my property has realigned my perception.

zgred