Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1.Ru

Re: Ferrari F138

Ferrari F138 - revised exhaust cooling
ImageImage

In Malaysia Ferrari are again running with no hole in the nose and chassis, and with a very similar configuration to that seen in Melbourne. To cope with the heat of Sepang, the bodywork around the exhausts has been opened up (part of the original F138 project plan) to improve the extraction of hot air from the sidepods (single arrow), over and above the standard set-up (two small arrows).
© Formula1.com

As if they are explaining my theory there :lol:
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 79#p420679
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Gridlock

F1.Ru wrote: In Malaysia Ferrari are again running with no hole in the nose
I thought I saw a slot under the nose in qualy, almost looked like the Mclaren snow plough structure of old but smaller and further back and with the 'shark' mouth opening (actually more of a blobfish) at front, a bit lower than pictured at the tests. It may have been a reflection from the top of the curved section they have in there though.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

wesley123 wrote:I suggest you take a look at the rear end and note how tight the rear end is, it is so much tighter compared to the others.
Yes, i have notice that but each time i look at this car its give me the sensation that the sidepods block the airflow to the back of the car. It obiously a false impression because the car is fast.

shelly
shelly

Matt Somers wrote:
Matt Somers wrote:
Spankyham wrote:No monkey seat
Didn't use one in Aus either
That was my point - no monkey seat - which, to me means we don't need it =D>
Indeed, points at good balance

Check these posts from ex-insider user ImanEngineer http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 41#p414341 in the w04 thread: they shed some light on the mokey seat relevance.

After reading this, I see the absence of monkey seat on the ferrari as the sign thay are not running an extremely aggressive rear wing mainplane that needs to be stabilised with the monkey seat, and that is coherent with the malaysian track. The fact they did not run it in melbourne is a bit more interesting
twitter: @armchair_aero

bhall
bhall

shelly wrote:Indeed, points at good balance

Check these posts from ex-insider user ImanEngineer http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 41#p414341 in the w04 thread: they shed some light on the mokey seat relevance.

After reading this, I see the absence of monkey seat on the ferrari as the sign thay are not running an extremely aggressive rear wing mainplane that needs to be stabilised with the monkey seat, and that is coherent with the malaysian track. The fact they did not run it in melbourne is a bit more interesting
The latest rear wing was introduced at the final Barcelona test, and it's noticeably more shallow than the F2012's "general purpose wing," for lack of a better term. That points to good overall efficiency.

C Plinius Secundus
C Plinius Secundus

Hi. Maybe it's a little bit off topic, but have you noticed the improvement in the construction and finishing of this F138 compared to the F2012? Last year I remember cracked bodywork, screws that didn't quite matched, bent covers, patched parts, etc. Someone said it looked like an 80's Fiat!
This year it seems to be much better manufactured and finished, for example:
Just nice and neat.

performergr
performergr

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

infy wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:I personally only post pictures of new or interesting parts and maybe some rare angles.

I think the constant pics of cars just driving in a straight line is getting out of hand.
Its the Ferrari 2013 Car thread. My pictures help us explore the features of the car.

Anyways, I was just trying to contribute.
It's also f1technical.

Do what you want but I think if there's already a pic of the front view then there isn't much need for another. Unless you can pinpoint a feature and wish to discuss it.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

f300v10
f300v10

Nice shot, first one I have seen of the exhaust and radiator setup. The tightness of the packaging is clearly evident , it must get extremely hot in that part of the car.

Kiril Varbanov

f300v10 wrote:
Nice shot, first one I have seen of the exhaust and radiator setup. The tightness of the packaging is clearly evident , it must get extremely hot in that part of the car.
Indeed, I think it's the first shot of the radiator layout. Just for comparison sake I found F2012's radiator from Germany. I know it's not the same angle, but that's the best so far, so early (ugly :)) in the morning.

shelly
shelly

mybe it is perspective, but the air path out of the raidatora seems strange: there are exhaust pipes close to the radiator backface and in the lower part tha external bodywork seems more or less tangent to the rad face. Not conventional but effectuve. Sauber have done something similar in that it seems the exit path for ari after the raidator is very narrow - probably after trials they have discovered that more space is not needed.

last year layout was more conservative for both teams
twitter: @armchair_aero

Ferraripilot

Finally a clear shot of their radiator positions. Still mostly upright but canted forward and towards the driver. Very very small unit too, I'm wondering if they're housing more fluid elsewhere.
Last edited by Ferraripilot on 24 Mar 2013, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

stefan_
stefan_

Click the image for high resolution

Last edited by stefan_ on 24 Mar 2013, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

infy
infy

It was a pretty light touch that caused the damage. I hope they reinforce the structure.

siskue2005

What is the purpose of the bulge just before the exhaust ramp and also on the floor?
does it reduce some boundary layer? and attach some air?
is it the same thing which some teams run under their nose? to remove boundary layer?