2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: 2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

That's the real thing to take from this. Vettel knew exactly what he was doing.

Forget team orders, Vettel decided he would take the race win, and "apologise" later. He talks about giving it back etc. but knows full well he can't.

It's ruthless, and honestly there is nothing wrong with that. Except lying about it, he should just be honest.

myurr
myurr

MWcrazyhorse wrote:Such a sureal situation that a driver is blamed for racing and overtaking. :wtf: :shock:
Vettel told the team on the track on the radio he is going to fight for spot #1.
That is exactly what he did. =D>
Clearly Red Bull seems much more concerned about the constructors championship.
Vettel is getting some flak.
I hope the team resolves this and next time there is no more order.
We're not criticising Vettel for racing - we're criticising him for lying and being a hypocrite. He's benefitted from team orders for the past three years, yet this time he's exploited them to get past Webber. We have no idea if he'd been able to pass Webber had he expected the attack. He was told twice by the team that Vettel would not be attacking him.

When did Vettel tell the team on the radio he was going to fight, I haven't heard that - please supply the exact quote and preferably a recording. Had he said anything doesn't that also prove beyond all doubt that he's lying when he claimed he didn't know about the team orders?

rssh

myurr wrote:
rssh wrote:Well there is a thing called PR and SEB is very well versed with it (even ALO is very well versed with it 2010 german gp) , which WEB lacks and if SEB pointed it out in the open like WEB did then people will jump the wagon and say he disrespect everyone . What do you reckon SEB meant by BEHIND CLOSED DOORS :mrgreen:
How do you think brand Vettel is doing today? And perhaps SEB meant behind closed doors like when he called Webber crazy after Turkey, or even disparaged him over the radio in this race? Or maybe like when Marko criticised Webber before the season had even started?

I reckon what SEB really meant was that he didn't have a good explanation for what he did and wanted to hide behind closed doors where the team could protect him. He then changed tack and tried lying to his fans instead. How is that good PR when his team had already confirmed twice that he'd ignored team orders? Vettel is a hypocrite and a liar and there's no defending that.
Well what would you think would be his brand value after he said that ? After Turkey 2010 antics the team would have taught him not to disrespect anyone publically for the brand image of RB and not himself . Also (I am no Marko fan) Marko was not impressed by SEB and he said that delinquently. May be they need to give Marko more training in PR maybe for RB brand sake .

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

myurr wrote:Webber was ahead of Vettel when he held a straight line parallel to the wall. He didn't close the gap, he didn't make it tighter, Vettel chose to go that side of him and through the pit lane exit. Webber didn't push him further, there's no comparison.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRzi8mUJUnM[/youtube]

28 seconds in. Vettel goes right, Webber goes to cover but leaves 1 & 3/4 car width, then closes it whilst Vettel is alongside.

Want to repeat your lie again?

f1316
f1316

As an aside:

Anybody else think that Rosberg's pace relative to Hamilton (I'm talking in general not the last stint of this race) puts the 43 year-old Schumacher's pace in a different light? I think there's a lot of evidence to suggest that Schumacher was generally quicker than Rosberg last year.

beelsebob
beelsebob

ChrisF1 wrote:28 seconds in. Vettel goes right, Webber goes to cover but leaves 1 & 3/4 car width, then closes it whilst Vettel is alongside.

Sorry, but no, Webber does not move further right there. Vettel just drives straight into a tiny gap.

MWcrazyhorse
MWcrazyhorse

JMN wrote:
f1universe wrote:Ferrari was painful to watch, Massa was invisible and Alonso had very bad luck, I saw wings with better damage staying 10 laps on the car without falling.
You can't be serious, the wing was hanging on half a pylon while scraping the road. Fernando drove brilliantly to defend his position, but staying out for a relatively minor gain by delaying the tire change will never stack up to the risks associated with running a dangling front wing. It doesn't matter whether it was Fernando or the team that made the call - it was a bad and risk prone decision all the same.
Well said captain hindsight.
On the other hand the track was wet while the racing line was much dryer. Hence overtaking much more difficult, if not impossible. Directly after the start if you can keep the field behind you and there are no gaps to close in, whilst you would end up last after switching tires and needing to change again 5 laps into the race onto slicks when the track dries more.
Good time to gamble. But you don't always win.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

beelsebob wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:28 seconds in. Vettel goes right, Webber goes to cover but leaves 1 & 3/4 car width, then closes it whilst Vettel is alongside.

Sorry, but no, Webber does not move further right there. Vettel just drives straight into a tiny gap.
Watch again then, Vettel is parallel, Webber moves over whilst they are side by side.

myurr
myurr

rssh wrote:Well what would you think would be his brand value after he said that ? After Turkey 2010 antics the team would have taught him not to disrespect anyone publically for the brand image of RB and not himself . Also (I am no Marko fan) Marko was not impressed by SEB and he said that delinquently. May be they need to give Marko more training in PR maybe for RB brand sake .
Had he been true to himself then he probably would have had more respect. Instead he's acted like an arse and then lied about it to defend himself. That's two "offenses", and very Schumacher like and that was something that always caused controversy about him despite his record. Had he been man enough to say "I was asked to hold station but I'm hungry to win this championship and chose to ignore the instruction" then he would probably have gained some fans. Instead he's lied and lied again making him look even worse.

Look at how Ted Kravitz has reacted. He's always going on about how Vettel's such a nice guy, but even he's now saying that he respects him less after today.

beelsebob
beelsebob

JMN wrote:
f1universe wrote:Ferrari was painful to watch, Massa was invisible and Alonso had very bad luck, I saw wings with better damage staying 10 laps on the car without falling.
You can't be serious, the wing was hanging on half a pylon while scraping the road. Fernando drove brilliantly to defend his position, but staying out for a relatively minor gain by delaying the tire change will never stack up to the risks associated with running a dangling front wing. It doesn't matter whether it was Fernando or the team that made the call - it was a bad and risk prone decision all the same.
This incident actually highlights something I've been wondering for a while. The black and orange flag exists precisely for when drivers have dangerous cars. Surely the FIA should be a bit more proactive in getting the flag out as soon as a car is in a dangerous state. In many situations it would make no difference, as the team would bring the car straight in anyway. Every so often, it might prevent a major accident.

myurr
myurr

ChrisF1 wrote:Watch again then, Vettel is parallel, Webber moves over whilst they are side by side.
Watch it again, that is not what happened. Post pictures with lines to support your claim if you think there is evidence.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

So what was the story with Rosberg being told not to pass Lewis?
I don't like the idea of Nico being automatically made a second driver of the back of one race.

beelsebob
beelsebob

JimClarkFan wrote:So what was the story with Rosberg being told not to pass Lewis?
I don't like the idea of Nico being automatically made a second driver of the back of one race.
I think it was simple – the team have hinted that Nico was as tight on fuel as Lewis anyway. He was told to stay behind so that the fight didn't escalate into wasting fuel and neither car reaching the end.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

myurr wrote:
ChrisF1 wrote:Watch again then, Vettel is parallel, Webber moves over whilst they are side by side.
Watch it again, that is not what happened. Post pictures with lines to support your claim if you think there is evidence.
Here you go:

Vettel alongside on both, look at the gap between Webber and the pitwall in both, and the white line which is parallel to the pitwall.

Dyanxx
Dyanxx

Traction wrote:Yes yes yes....Vettel...what a race! Brilliant drive...brilliant tyre management...the boy wants to race and wants to win...

Love the way Hamilton was given a protected third place... :lol:
Hilarious, you have the cheek to laugh at Hamilton yet only have praise for Vettel? strange...