McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pup
Pup

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

New Front wing(Multi-element) - 30 minutes
New Exhaust with ramp/tunnel(Like Redbull) - I'd have to guess 3 days, 4 hours, 16 minutes, 56 seconds
New Rear Wing - 5 days, assuming they work through lunch
New Floor - Couple of hours at most
new Side-pod design - 8 hour round trip flight to Maranello, 3 hour procurement 'visit', 30 minutes in the paint shop
New diffusor - They usually knit these from carbon filament to pass the time on the flight over
Now, that's just manufacturing time, of course; but design time should be minimal since they're sure to just nick the ideas from the rich assortment found here.

In other words: Seriously?

KingHamilton01

Pup wrote:
New Exhaust with ramp/tunnel(Like Redbull) - I'd have to guess 3 days, 4 hours, 16 minutes, 56 seconds
new Side-pod design - 8 hour round trip flight to Maranello, 3 hour procurement 'visit', 30 minutes in the paint shop
New diffusor - They usually knit these from carbon filament to pass the time on the flight over
Now, that's just manufacturing time, of course; but design time should be minimal since they're sure to just nick the ideas from the rich assortment found here.

wow another moronic reply, full of them on here.
McLaren Mercedes

yener

I dont know if it has already been posted, but i think this is very interresting.

http://www.gpupdate.net/nl/videos/3209/ ... ergeleken/
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

wesley123
wesley123

KingHamilton01 wrote:
Pup wrote:

2 people seem to differ from your opinion. Also you are asking an impossible question there, just saying.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

BorisTheBlade

yener wrote:I dont know if it has already been posted, but i think this is very interresting.

http://www.gpupdate.net/nl/videos/3209/ ... ergeleken/
That's exactly what was discussedthe last two pages.

BorisTheBlade

KingHamilton01 wrote:
Pup wrote:

Of course they would be able to bring at least one of the mentiined things come China. But that would imply that they would have known by the end of testing what their problems are and that it can be cured by improving one certain area - and that's what most in here doubt.

phillippe
phillippe

KingHamilton01 wrote:
Pup wrote:

Strongly disagree. Given the highly dubious question, the response could not have been more appropriate.

This forum has lots of intelligent questions and knowledgeable answers; if people like you and I completely stop posting, this forum will have ONLY those.

Yes, mods, I do know where these posts, including mine belong. Please obliterate.
Last edited by phillippe on 26 Mar 2013, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

KingHamilton01

Oh right I see, it does not warrant an intelligent reply? is that what your suggesting, there are perfectly normally people who have choosen not to reply in such a sarcastic manner.
McLaren Mercedes

phillippe
phillippe

That's because there are users who are much more discerning than either of us, and who certainly care what the car threads are supposed to contain. Now, you do not bother to read or care about the forum rules, you proceed to post vacuous questions in the car thread, then show disdain by selectively categorizing only the response as moronic, and then suggest that this forum is full of moronic responses. Yet you wonder why people are caustic #-o

beelsebob
beelsebob

KingHamilton01 wrote:Oh right I see, it does not warrant an intelligent reply? is that what your suggesting, there are perfectly normally people who have choosen not to reply in such a sarcastic manner.
No, it warranted, and got an intelligent reply. The reply (intelligently) highlighted that it is impossible for any of us (including you) to figure out what is not working on the car without detailed data, including simulations, wind tunnel data, on track data, etc. It highlighted that we can not predict which parts will be updated, because we have no way to tell which ones are not working as expected. It highlighted that we can not predict how long designing any new parts will take, as we do not know how complex the problem they have encountered is. It highlighted that we can not predict whether the new parts will work correctly. It highlights that we can not tell anything about the inherent superiority of one solution over the other.

Basically, the reply was very intelligent, you just may not realise it.

Pup
Pup

Heh. I don't know if my reply was intelligent, but it wasn't meant to cause a fuss. King H, take a look at some of my posts and you'll see that snarky is the default. That's how the pup do. But yeah, I think the only "intelligent" reply to your post is that none of us could ever know.

Actually, there was a guy posting here a few years back who did carbon fiber layup work for McLaren. But he answered a few too many questions about stuff like that and consequently is now not a guy who does carbon fiber layup work for McLaren.

Richard
Richard

Admittedly Pup's reply was heavy with sarcasm, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt to KingHamilton that he didn't know that every once in a while someone goes onto their favourite team's thread and says "Why don't they bolt on ... *list of parts copied from whichever car happens to be fastest* ....?"

The honest answer ranges from 3 weeks (McLaren 2009 from winter test to first race), or half a season (F2012), or never (W01, 02, 03).

The other honest answer is that questions asking "
why doesn't this team ... ... *list of parts copied from whichever car happens to be fastest* ...." infers that the poster is a fan in desperation. We try to keep up the idea that objectivity is preferred to fan loyalty here. One could ask that in any car thread other than RB (this week anyway) so that shows the question is a generic comment and not an on-topic comment specific to this car.

Maybe starting a thread about
"How long does it take to make an F1 part" would be a better way to ask the same question.

cossie
cossie

a drwing and pic of the floor cuts

Thunder

That is no MP4/28.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

cossie
cossie