Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Ferrari F138

turbof1 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Well clearly the Ferrari team thought the wing would hold long enough to make the stop. It is all part of the game, and like Cam said, if the call did work out they would have been heroes.

But I guess it is easy to say how much Ferrari sucks after this decision when you already know what happened.
Assuming it would have hold, they would not have been heroes. The decrease in downforce would be substantial and would further decrease due parts of the endplate being scraped away. Alonso would had been in the pits at the end of his second lap, with alot of ground lost to his nearest competitors. He would have lost the avoided extra pitstop on track anyhow.
It was wet. If Alonso made the stop he would have felt back around 16th(as a quick guess). If he could make it till he could make the switch to slicks they would place a new nose in that stop, which would have saved them around 20+ seconds of time.

As it was wet there was no DRS so i think Alonso would have been very able to defend his position and maybe lose only 1-2 places.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

turbof1

wesley123 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Well clearly the Ferrari team thought the wing would hold long enough to make the stop. It is all part of the game, and like Cam said, if the call did work out they would have been heroes.

But I guess it is easy to say how much Ferrari sucks after this decision when you already know what happened.
Assuming it would have hold, they would not have been heroes. The decrease in downforce would be substantial and would further decrease due parts of the endplate being scraped away. Alonso would had been in the pits at the end of his second lap, with alot of ground lost to his nearest competitors. He would have lost the avoided extra pitstop on track anyhow.
It was wet. If Alonso made the stop he would have felt back around 16th(as a quick guess). If he could make it till he could make the switch to slicks they would place a new nose in that stop, which would have saved them around 20+ seconds of time.

As it was wet there was no DRS so i think Alonso would have been very able to defend his position and maybe lose only 1-2 places.
Yes, I know it was wet. You still need downforce. Even without drs enabled (of which I think it was enabled) he would loose much in cornering that other could get nice up and close to him before he straights after which slipstreaming would be more then enough, left enough that FW scraping over the ground hampering his top speed. IMO, he would have lost more then 20 seconds if he pitted at lap 5. The first lap he was only able to hold his ground due drivers were not yet fully confident on the track conditions. At the second lap everybody went much faster, but Alonso would have been unable to do so.
#AeroFrodo

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Great pics of the wires running into the nosecone/ FW.

via Pius Gassó

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

looks like that rounded shell sticking out from the bulkhead doubles as a helper to guide the nose into position before the pins start to engage.

sucof

wesley123 wrote:
AnthonyG wrote:
wesley123 wrote: But I guess it is easy to say how much Ferrari sucks after this decision when you already know what happened.
You have to evaluate the decision, not the outcome.
I am doing that, but the rest seems fixed on "omg the wing was loose they were never going to mke it anyways, ferrari's tactics suck!" Which is, as I said, very easy to say when you already know what happened
The difference is that I see that everyone was sure about this while watching the first lap, not just after... But I think we argued about this enough already :)

sucof

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Great pics of the wires running into the nosecone/ FW.

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/ph ... 752107.jpg
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/ph ... 752132.jpg
via Pius Gassó
And maybe this is what Ferrari was talking about that they made modifications to their front suspension so that it would be easier to access. I mean, it looks like they "simply" put all the stuff outside the chassis so no holes needed to access it, they just need to remove the carbon fiber cover what we see.

tpe
tpe

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Great pics of the wires running into the nosecone/ FW.

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/ph ... 752107.jpg
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/ph ... 752132.jpg
via Pius Gassó
Are those pictures taken during the Malaysian GP? If I recall correctly, Ferrari had closed the shark mouth.

SiLo

Thats a connection for fibre optics, most probably from the TV camera housing back to the main unit within the chassis of the car.
Felipe Baby!

Kiril Varbanov

SiLo wrote:Thats a connection for fibre optics, most probably from the TV camera housing back to the main unit within the chassis of the car.
Data loggers.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

tpe wrote:
Are those pictures taken during the Malaysian GP? If I recall correctly, Ferrari had closed the shark mouth.
Yes the pictures are from Sunday in Malaysia. You can see from the picture below taken during the race that Ferrari did indeed use the sharkmouth.

thanks Bhall
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 26 Mar 2013, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Gridlock

ah ha! Knew it (the blobfish mouth) - thanks!

I now have figured out how to get HD video off my Sky box, so I'll gif-ify Alonso's wing disintegration in a bit, it shows the FW/nosecone construction quite well IIRC (ie that the supports are weird, as speculated on earlier in thread)

Dream Theater

Gridlock wrote:[...] I now have figured out how to get HD video off my Sky box [...]
Sorry for the off-topic, but can you explain how? Because I've also the Sky Box, and I would like to get HD video off it too. Of course, you can send to me a private message, explaining how you do that! Thanks in advance.

turbof1

So its main purpose is cooling. Very interesting they need such a big inlet; what kind of electronics/mechanics are around that duct?
#AeroFrodo

wesley123
wesley123

It's main function is breaking up the boundary layer, this air then is indeed used to cool components
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

turbof1

But they are not using it everywhere. They just closed it off at Melbourne, where it was colder. You could argue Melbourne is less about downforce, thus the airflow seperation, which would be created when the inlet is closed off, would be less of a problem, but on the other hand: why remove it?

It will interesting to see on which of the following circuits they will use it. That might give a better understanding.
#AeroFrodo