2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
garrett
garrett

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

If Zytek could be around why not Advanced Engine Research? They have a very long expertise on electronics and turbocharged racing engines. I found the phrase "In 2012, AER developed and built F1 turbo test engines to current rules" on wikipedia. Does anybody know something about that? :?:

abw

Re: 2014 Renault V6 Turbo

Ted68 wrote:A brief article on the new engine.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/renault-de ... -1-season/
Kinda sad to see the mention of Cosworth in the next-to-last paragraph. I really wish they could still be in The Game.

olefud
olefud

rscsr wrote:[That's a rather good idea, but with one caveat. The difference in the pipe lenght is rpm dependent. I estimated with a speed of sound of 700m/s a difference in pipe length of 0,292m (at 12000rpm) and 0,343m (at 10000rpm).
But after thinking about it, I don't think they would care much about the not equidistant pressure pulses, as a pressure pulse is at 10000rpm about 2m long (if we assume exhaust valve opening time of 180° crankshaft angle). So you wouldn't need to worry about that the overlap of pressure spikes (or they would make 2m long exhaust pipes to the turbo, which I don't think is very likely).
This seems to comingle acoustical and gas flow concepts. Acoustical pulses are excited by the pressure wave essentially at the exhaust valve opening. However, the pulse wavelength is a function of the resonant length/diameter of the pipe and the open/close- end configuration of the pipe. The wavelength determines the spacing of the pulses in the pipe and, accordingly, the position of the pulse relative to the valve at any given time.

WhiteBlue

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/04/ ... kescreens/

I recommend to read this as it explains nicely why the current writing at Pitpass is a load of bull and why the 2014 engines will undoubtedly be introduced as planned.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

rjsa
rjsa

On the bright side, even after (if?) the V6 hits the track, a little messing with the SECU can bring up the fuel flow limit and may be even the revs for some fine tunning of the show.

WhiteBlue

rjsa wrote:...a little messing with the SECU can bring up the fuel flow limit and may be even the revs for some fine tunning of the show.
Not very likely in my view. The fuel flow limit is a strategic issue and has been defended by nail and tooth over the last five years. Todt has the upper hand now because F1 as a whole frowns on last minute rule changes. The manufacturers as one man would put up a riot if the fundamental data of the engine were to change in the very last minute. So you can forget about that thing to happen.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

http://www.f1today.net/en/news/engine-m ... 14--report

Report about an additional engine test day probably in January 2014 in the Near East.

garrett
garrett

WhiteBlue wrote:http://www.f1today.net/en/news/engine-m ... 14--report

Report about an additional engine test day probably in January 2014 in the Near East.
Is this official already? Not only Domenicali is worried about the test situation (absolutely justified imo), but also Rob White recently expressed his concerns about the possible scenario that Honda could do an unrestricted test season in 2014 in contrary to the regulation-bound current manufacturers and could be the winner takes it all in 2015. Given the complexity of the new power trains the situation is unsustainable. Reffering to Joe´s brilliant article you mentioned above, it´s obviously all about power and money. One should suspect that Ecclestone and Walker are trying the other way round: They can´t stop the turbos anymore, so they want to disavow them by provoking technical difficulties in the first races of 2014. No additional test plus additionally increasing the rev limit (because of the "sound" :lol: ) could lead to some engine failures, doesn´t it? But it´s not even worth discussing. We won´t have the aerodynamic-focussed F1 with frozen engines next year any more, in fact the hybrid powertrain will call the tune from now on. And if something gets more important it should be considered more.

coaster

has anybody read all 182 pages? gawd,,,,

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

coaster wrote:has anybody read all 182 pages? gawd,,,,
I'm sure WB knows them by heart :)
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Forza

I saw speculation that Toyota/Lexus is interested in providing V6T powerplants . Omnicorse quoted Gian Carlo Minardi
Omnicorse wrote: "According to the information I have from Germany, Toyota has already prepared a V6 Turbo Formula 1 to participate in the world championship in 2014 as a supplier of powerplants. The Japanese manufacturer will return to the Circus to promote the Lexus brand. The engine was designed and will be built in the factory in Cologne and will therefore not be made ​​in Japan. "

Asked about which team could use Toyota/Lexus powerplants
"Currently the more interesting team without a contract seems be Williams (who has already had the Japanese customer engines in 2007 and 2008, ed), but it would not surprise me even a concern for McLaren "
Gian Carlo Minardi​​

turbof1

According to amus, cars will be most likely revving around 12,000 prm instead of 15,000 due fuel limit.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 67033.html
#AeroFrodo

WhiteBlue

There is nothing new in that article. We all know that you must not and cannot change the technical basics of the regulations nine months before the cars are going to hit the track. This has been established a long time ago as unacceptable practise.

The scare mongering about how slow the 2014 cars will be has been seen every time when there was change. Usually the cars were faster than expected and the scare mongers were exposed. So I will not give much credit to this last minute panic. I'm pretty confident that we will see some shake up and new manufacturers entering the sport sooner or later. That can only be good.

Kiril Varbanov

According to Dimi Papadopolous, @F1Enigma, who has spoken to GC Minardi, reliable sources have confirmed that Toyota will be back in F1, 2014, as engine supplier through the Lexus brand.

WhiteBlue

That makes sense considering Honda are going to come back as well. The Japanese have always watched each other's moves and covered them. I just can't believe that Lexus will actually be in F1 next year already. It sounds like too short a time. I wonder if this will be out of Cologne Germany as well. They could have picked up some of the stuff that P.U.R.E. have done on their site there.