McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
henra
henra

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

ringo wrote: True, but the diffuser cannot be tuned or setup. Therefore it's not a variable, your variable over a weekend is your suspension. And this what limits your aerodynamic performance.
One example is ride height dependence. Remeber when during winter testing they ran the car too low?
That's an example of mechanical limitation which expanded the aerodynamic envelop.
Agreed. I think we have the same picture in mind and are just approaching it from different perspectives.
You are starting from the Team's setup options, whereas I'm starting from the engineering perspective, re cause and mitigation.

That's some circular logic there. You went from mechanical to aero to mechanical.
The logic is in fact somewhat circular indeed as the aerodnamic consequences of the variation of the mechanical setup will practically limit their mechanical setup options regarding stiffnes.
Put it this way, if your car has good aero, it will be consistently good. A team that has no money to do any updates will be able to setup the mechanical to get a good balance on any track. The aerodynamics will still give the same performance regardless of the track. What you find is the suspension setup that is changed more often than not.
And one setup doesn't work well on all tracks. But one aero package can work well on all tracks (with the exception of Monza and Monaco)
agreed.
Suspension is not better understood. It is also more dificult to do repeated tests on it. Aero has more controls.
I agree in so far as the effect of the suspension on today's generation of tires does indeed seem not to be really well understood (at least not by all probably or rather even most teams).
The effects of suspension stiffnes and spring/damper rates on traction and general track performance on the other hand should be well understood after decades of work in this area.

Hail22

"Clear" upgrades to be available for Mclaren this weekend.

Source: http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport ... 04964.html
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

KATO

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:For what it's worth(not a whole lot IMHO) here's GA's take on McLaren problems..

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/159/mattaeroa.png
via AutoSport
Earlier I said IDE expect to see a new front wing and people here said I was wrong other areas needed to be addressed first..... People neg me for no dam reason..... Could some one tell him he's wrong please-?? Or is that now okey to say-?? Do we agree the Front wing should be new and we need to keep an eye on those wings-??
"Suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension."
__Ayrton Senna

wesley123
wesley123

There is a lot of difference between you and GA. The first is just a regular forum member interrested in F1, the latter is a former F1 designer. No offence towards you but GA has much, much more knowledge than you, or me, or pretty much everyone on this forum.

No one dislikes you, but a problem point on this forum is that members seem to think they are better than Newey, Costa, Anderson, Key etc. etc. by throwing around conclusions and numbers without anything to back it up.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

stefan_
stefan_

China 2013 - Thursday (11.04.2013)

Last edited by stefan_ on 11 Apr 2013, 14:00, edited 2 times in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Touristas
Touristas

KATO wrote:
Earlier I said IDE expect to see a new front wing and people here said I was wrong other areas needed to be addressed first..... People neg me for no dam reason..... Could some one tell him he's wrong please-?? Or is that now okey to say-?? Do we agree the Front wing should be new and we need to keep an eye on those wings-??

I think it's time for F1 Technical to start giving away awards or even virtual eye-scaning engineering diplomas,to members that have succesfully driven the teams forward with their crucial assumptions on development paths.

No offence but as i'm seeing it...McLaren brings a front wing in China and everyone that said the words ''new front wing'' is right and should be applauded? here take it =D>

i will make a wild prediction and say that the car will look different in Brazil.

Sorry for the OT

Pup
Pup

KATO wrote:Earlier I said IDE expect to see a new front wing and people here said I was wrong other areas needed to be addressed first..... People neg me for no dam reason..... Could some one tell him he's wrong please-?? Or is that now okey to say-?? Do we agree the Front wing should be new and we need to keep an eye on those wings-??
A mere single page back you will find exactly what you're looking for. Do pay attention.

Also: *I'd, *damn, *okay.

Pup
Pup

Bluejeans in the McLaren garage?!? Unacceptable! :lol:

Coefficient
Coefficient

Pup wrote:http://www.formula1.com/wi/gi/enlarge/1 ... chn158.jpg

Bluejeans in the McLaren garage?!? Unacceptable! :lol:
At least they'll all be clean shaven though! :D
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Forza

China GP - Friday - 12/04/2013
Last edited by Forza on 12 Apr 2013, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

Godius

The extended upper layer of the diffuser looks very different compared to the more rounded solution that other top-teams use..

GreeTz
GreeTz

JB's T-tray on fire today after a flat spotted and then deflated tire

Pup
Pup

If possible, could you post another photo that's slightly slower to load? kthx.

Sevach
Sevach

Is the engine cover new or my eyes are tricking me?

boyracer94
boyracer94

Here's another angle:
Is that heat shielding or, just a large area of unpainted CF? Are there any comparisons with the old spec bodywork about?