Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
skwdenyer
skwdenyer

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

flyboy2160 wrote:Yup. And if I had a 5 minute consulting job with Williams about this (Ha Ha and I'm currently out of work!), I'd advise them to not go back to the 2012 car, but instead try adding a sharp edged strake above the gearbox, similar to the dorsal and ventral strakes on this Cessna and Robin ahead of their vertical tails as a means of reducing the cross-car flow
They're not proposing to revert to the 2012 car, only to the 2012 exhaust set-up, and then only for the races until they've sorted the coanda set-up in what little testing time they have available.

Sevach
Sevach

I noticed a few pages back that Williams doesn't have the now widely employed Helmholtz chamber in their exhaust, i think they are quite a bit behind the curve in terms of making it work off throttle.

steve12345
steve12345

flyboy2160 wrote:
Coefficient wrote:...Yes, I feel this is also a factor in their woes and often wondered why they never used the free space created.by the tiny gear box to develop some useful bodywork above it....
roadie wrote:Yaw is mentioned here..."You certainly see huge potential there because sometimes you are checking floor pressures and you think 'wow'. But then out on track the tyre is moving around, and the yaw rate is changing....
Yup. And if I had a 5 minute consulting job with Williams about this (Ha Ha and I'm currently out of work!), I'd advise them to not go back to the 2012 car, but instead try adding a sharp edged strake above the gearbox, similar to the dorsal and ventral strakes on this Cessna and Robin ahead of their vertical tails as a means of reducing the cross-car flow:
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd67 ... snafin.jpg
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd67 ... esmall.jpg

I know, I know, many aspects of aircraft aerodynamics don't apply to F1 because of the vastly different geometry (the brutally low aspect ratio of the F1 wings, for instance), but many general principles (and some solutions) are common.

perhaps they feel the end plates and tyres should provide enough stability.

I also think that they haven't introduced the dorsal fin, or cooling outlets, because the intention is to allow cross flows over the lower wing to provide downforce.

other teams have used the williams gearbox and kept traditional bodywork. Though they didn't win any races last year. or were they using a much older gearbox?

Huntresa
Huntresa

perhaps they feel the end plates and tyres should provide enough stability.

I also think that they haven't introduced the dorsal fin, or cooling outlets, because the intention is to allow cross flows over the lower wing to provide downforce.

other teams have used the williams gearbox and kept traditional bodywork. Though they didn't win any races last year. or were they using a much older gearbox?
What other team used williams gearbox? I hardly think Williams would actually give the other teams this developed gearbox.

wesley123
wesley123

HRT did
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

beelsebob
beelsebob

wesley123 wrote:HRT did
No, HRT used williams' old gearbox.

steve12345
steve12345

Sorry - I thought Marrussia used it too...

I know I read that the HRT was using a whole Williams rear end, including gearbox.It was described as a current gearbox somewhere. i assumed williams would have been keen to have 4 cars testing bits and allowed it.
perhaps someone can identify it:

TBH I didn't like the Williams rear end when I first saw it(it just look shrink wrapped around the mechanicals with the sharp transitions that have been mentioned by flyboy)but last years was much smoother and had decent pace.

I dunno...maybe, like the walrus nose - stop flogging a dead horse and fill the area with body work as has been suggested.

FW17

^
F111 used williams gearbox with push rod (maybe from FW32)
F112 used williams gearbox with pull rod (maybe from FW33)

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

WilliamsF1 wrote:^
F111 used williams gearbox with push rod (maybe from FW32)
F112 used williams gearbox with pull rod (maybe from FW33)
Almost right. F111 used Williams LG14 push rod gearbox used by Williams in 2010, F112 used LG16C I am told, as the LG15 was by large a problem due to failure rate Williams gave HRT their latest LG16 gearbox last year. The only difference between the Williams and HRT ones is the mounting points for bolting the thing to the Cosworth engine and the suspension control arm points. The LG16R and LG16C are the same gearbox otherwise. Williams would learn more from the gearboxes given to HRT than their own team I'd guess due to the HRT having a lack of downforce and also having a less drive able engine.

stefan_
stefan_

China 2013 - Tuesday (09.04.2013)

via Dickie Stanford
2 race cars and the 3rd chassis. The 3rd chassis is only part ready as per the sporting regs.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Gridlock

As a follow-up,
If we had to change a chassis it would take us about 8 to 10 hours
Dickie Stanford

Huntresa
Huntresa

Why is Dickie spamming twitter with pics this season or has he always done it? I mean isnt it in the interest of the team to not have many pictures out there ?

PhillipM
PhillipM

No, it's in the interests of the team to have LOADS of pictures out there that don't tell anyone anything particularly interesting....

Gridlock

I love it, it's like being there in a way as he posts on way to airport, on way to track etc etc. "Sunday: Race & Pack up"

Bearing in mind he's been acting-TP lately it's impressive and very welcome.

stefan_
stefan_

China 2013 - Wednesday (10.04.2013)

via Dickie Stanford

China 2013 - Thursday (11.04.2013)

via Dickie Stanford

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985