Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

China GP - Thursday - 11/04/2013

DarkJRO

Am I wrong, or is the Helmholtz' champer in a different position?
Greetings
Dark JRO

Joie de vivre

you're wrong

malaysia:
it appears as a different angle but the car is tilted i believe

gandharva

Joie de vivre wrote:you're wrong
I think he's right. Imho it's actually pretty easy to compare, the fixed angle between the chamber and the rest of the exhaust does not change even if you view it from a different angle. The Helmholtz chamber clearly points downwards compared to the exhaust outlet from the Malaysia pic. Also the exhaust is brand new. You can see it from the color of the metal.

Forza

China GP - Friday - 12/04/2013

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

There is nothing that could come even close to the profile of this car. =D>

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

How much more rear wing can they take off, as they are already running such a low AoA? Won't that create a problem for the high speed courses as the other cars that may be competitive, pace wise, will have the added benefit of less wing? While the RB9 will essentially have hit the limit already?

Or is the RB9 just that solid that they can run a near-Spa set-up for most races?

Javert

RB7ate9 wrote:How much more rear wing can they take off, as they are already running such a low AoA? Won't that create a problem for the high speed courses as the other cars that may be competitive, pace wise, will have the added benefit of less wing? While the RB9 will essentially have hit the limit already?

Or is the RB9 just that solid that they can run a near-Spa set-up for most races?
Probably the rear tires requires less rear downforce than last year

Mr.G

They can shrink it from sides I think. Or make smaller (in width, from front to back) segments of the wing.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Forza

China GP - Friday - 12/04/2013

Coefficient
Coefficient

Why does the bottom right rotary have "F. WING CLICKS" Option? Surely its not of remnant of the 2009 regs they forgot to remove. Do they have some sort of front wing adjustment available from the cockpit?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I wonder if it's there so the driver can request changes at the pitstop. It means the team don't broadcast to the world how the car is chaning over the race. Also prevents miscommunication over the radio. I would suspect that the switch is monitored in the pits and the relevant mechanics informed of the required changes just before the stop.

Likewise the central tyre switch appears to allow the driver to keep the team informed of the tyre wear situation without using the radio. I remember last year the team would ask the drivers what the tyre wear was and they would respond 1, 2 or 3. That dial has those numbers and a "pit now" position. They are obviously being careful with tyre management security this year.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

Just_a_fan wrote:I wonder if it's there so the driver can request changes at the pitstop. It means the team don't broadcast to the world how the car is chaning over the race. Also prevents miscommunication over the radio. I would suspect that the switch is monitored in the pits and the relevant mechanics informed of the required changes just before the stop.

Likewise the central tyre switch appears to allow the driver to keep the team informed of the tyre wear situation without using the radio. I remember last year the team would ask the drivers what the tyre wear was and they would respond 1, 2 or 3. That dial has those numbers and a "pit now" position. They are obviously being careful with tyre management security this year.
Scarbs was talking about this on twitter and confirmed the rotaries are really more a way of telling the pitlane what they want/ where they are rather than talking on the pit radio...
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I rarely use twitter so it's good to see my thoughts echoed by someone like Scarbs... 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Forza

China GP - Thursday - 11/04/2013