Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aral
aral

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

tpe wrote:I need to understand something. From the latest series of photos, it appears that RB is the only team that manage their exhausts not to pointing towards the rear tyres, but between the tyres and the diffuser. How could that be the case? Am I mistaken? I mean that the rules force teams to point the exhausts at a very specific angle.
It all depends on the position of the final outlet. Push the outlet further forward, and/or outwards, and you will have different flow characteristics, and then, these are channeled by the bodywork chutes, and flow over the sidepods.

stefan_
stefan_

Bahrain 2013 - Sunday (21.04.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Red Bull Bahrain updates.

F1.com

Image of newer RW used, with louvers similar to Ferrari
via Sutton Images

Blown wheel hubs not used(for now)..
F1.com

shelly
shelly

Above there are a lot of good shots of rbr double strake for tyre squirt. Interesting to note how the two strake are twisted, and how they converge towards the wheel creating a narrower section
twitter: @armchair_aero

Juzh

Seems to me RB brought a lot of upgrades for RB9 since australia but got rid of most them as they did not see them effective enough? 3 different rear wings, blown wheel hubs, front wings and so on.. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

amouzouris

I didn't notice if it has been said before but at a point they were testing with different front wing angles left to right

aral
aral

amouzouris wrote:I didn't notice if it has been said before but at a point they were testing with different front wing angles left to right
To me it looks like normal photographic distortion. Look at size of chappie on the right! And somehow, I seriously doubt that they would send a car out with different angles on each side. It would provide false info.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Probably the best way to test how front wing angle effects the new brake ducts.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

amouzouris

gilgen wrote:
amouzouris wrote:I didn't notice if it has been said before but at a point they were testing with different front wing angles left to right
To me it looks like normal photographic distortion. Look at size of chappie on the right! And somehow, I seriously doubt that they would send a car out with different angles on each side. It would provide false info.
What? what false info? You don't know what they were testing...it is definitely not distortion.
Owen.C93 wrote:Probably the best way to test how front wing angle effects the new brake ducts.
The wing itself is new so probably they were testing downforce generation of the whole car with differing front wing angles

Thunder

I don't see different angles too. It's just the Photo.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

henra
henra

shelly wrote:Above there are a lot of good shots of rbr double strake for tyre squirt. Interesting to note how the two strake are twisted, and how they converge towards the wheel creating a narrower section
Yep. Looks almost like they want to start a defined vortex in the sense of rotation of the diffuser footplate vortex already in the forward part of the diffuser where the footplate vortex itself isn't really established yet.
Combined with and accelerated by the flow of the exhaust gases this might serve to reduce air spillage from above the diffuser especially at the forward part of the diffuser.

StrikeForceF1
StrikeForceF1

http://i.imgur.com/rbqQism.jpg
Hi

I think its the pic that is distorting the wing angles as they are similar AoA. Another thing that would make me think that they would not do such a test or prob for a lap or 2 only is that the different downforce levels between left and righ would upset the balance of the car. Also I think it would also cause one tyre to possibly degrade more than the other so IMO i think its just angle of the picture. If we were running on an oval I could see a benefit of different wing AoA's left to right.

H2H
H2H

Hi, I didn't notice much discussion about the tunnels seen in this pic:

Looks like the basic design & purpose is still the same like last year, see Scarbs graphic:

However it is as far as I have seen tilted much more inwards, very likely to get a shorter sidepod and narrower cokebottle. Obviously it seems to be much better integrated into the package.

BTW: Some might know me from the Autosport forum and I pretty much migrated to this place to focus on the technical side of the sport.

BJH_F1
BJH_F1

Jonnycraig wrote: They could be on pole here quite easily (and probably China too) but to get there would take so much life out of the tyre as to make it pointless. Who cares about starting on pole if you have no race pace.

The fact that Hembery says they can easily change the tyres and watch one team run away with races tallies with reports from journalists expecting RB to be cleaning up once (if?) they get the tyres working.
As a Ferrari fan, unfortunately I expect RB to runaway with things (in terms of pure pace at least) if the harder compounds are generally used throughout the remainder of the season.

I feel that there is an optimal window in terms of DF to drag depending on the tire compound, and the RB9 has been a bit out of this window (with its higher cornerning speeds) on the more fragile soft compounds...where the tires just can't withstand the constant abuse of slip angles at such high corner speeds (particularly throughout longer stints). And when you have such a situation where you can't fully exploit your DF advantage lap after lap, compounded by the car being relatively slow/draggy on the straights...I feel this might be why they haven't been anywhere near dominant thus far. And maybe why Newey has been trying to adjust his design (particularly aero efficiency and drag reduction) a bit because of this.

When they are in the ideal tempature window on the harder compounds, I believe this allows them to really exploit their DF advantage particularly in the race without as much relative stress on the tire....while a lot of the other top teams simply don't have enough pure DF to take advantage of the harder compounds higher threshold so to speak.

This is nothing more than an armchair theory of mine...far from proven fact of course lol. And it doesnt help that we were unable to witness Alonso's true pace in the race at Bahrain because of the DRS issue with his car (although Massa looked miles off). Should be interesting to see how things play out nonetheless.

Holm86

Looks like Red Bull will change their alternator supplier.

Changing from Magnetti Marelli to TAG.

Source:
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/4498 ... i_Marelli/

Though it dosn't state anything about when.