Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Re: Ferrari F138

i know the principle of a multi element wing. I was curious why those 2 elements have a different shape then the other elements on the wing.
#AeroFrodo

Pierce89

Because the rearward part has a very steep AoA ,so it needs an extra slot gap.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Kalsi
Kalsi

gilgen wrote:
Kalsi wrote:
zonk wrote:Please stop trolling by asking questions about red bull. This is a car topic and things on it.
:wtf: Sorry if it seemed to be but, im not asking RB questions here and not trolling either ... This clearly is a F138 related question/problem, what would have happened if i had post this in the RB9 topic?
Try to carefully read the whole post again and i bet you can understand that the question is: "Should Ferrari improve the flexibility of their Front Wing in order to be more "Tanky" like RB is? It seems Ferrari wing is way too rigid"
Should this sort of comment not be on the aero thread, as it has nothing to do with the actual F138, as it actually is at present? Mods, can you sort this out and get us back on actual topic?
:shock: Again.... Did you even read the original post?? The question is regarding the F138 OF COURSE ... i just wanted to ask you all an opinion regarding the "Stiffness" of the Front Wing, if this can be a problem during the season for the very high probability of contacts due to a very high amount of weel2weel seen so far this season...
Can you tell me WHERE the "Aero" question is? :shock: maybe you are just trying to increase yout post counter? =D>

iotar__

ForzaFer wrote:
Kalsi wrote:
But... after looking at this video (barhain 2013)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeLbfBNtYQ
it's easy to spot Alonso's left hand going accordingly to the DRS light and maybe with the KERS too....
Could they have kinda switched the controls? I mean KERS with foot and DRS on the wheel lever?
Yes, left hand definitely for DRS, but i see some right-hand movements when he activates KERS(Thumb)
Not "definitely". If there were any doubts:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 67373.html
It's in German but you can use google translate and there's a video. [DRS - foot operated]

lurkingfan
lurkingfan

turbof1

What I wonder with the drs pedal of ferrari, being so close to the brake pedal, is there any chance of accidently pressing the brake pedal down too?
#AeroFrodo

raceman

iotar__ wrote:
ForzaFer wrote:
Kalsi wrote:
But... after looking at this video (barhain 2013)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeLbfBNtYQ
it's easy to spot Alonso's left hand going accordingly to the DRS light and maybe with the KERS too....
Could they have kinda switched the controls? I mean KERS with foot and DRS on the wheel lever?
Yes, left hand definitely for DRS, but i see some right-hand movements when he activates KERS(Thumb)
Not "definitely". If there were any doubts:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 67373.html
It's in German but you can use google translate and there's a video. [DRS - foot operated]

what might be he doing with those small levers at the very top of the steering wheel? on the third image at 1:12, he also pushes it before breaking into the corner.....

bitbp
bitbp

raceman wrote:what might be he doing with those small levers at the very top of the steering wheel? on the third image at 1:12, he also pushes it before breaking into the corner.....
I dont really know, but they were there in 2011. I Just remebered that in spanish TV Marc Gene explained how it worked the F1 stering wheel more or less, and you can see those levers perfectly. Sad thing is, he doesn't explain what they do...

You can see the youtube video on the link below, its in spanish ofc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZxp27IwHQ0

Goran2812
Goran2812

turbof1 wrote:What I wonder with the drs pedal of ferrari, being so close to the brake pedal, is there any chance of accidently pressing the brake pedal down too?
the drs is activated when the driver leans his foot to the left on the switch... he doesn't do a forward motion like braking, so technically, there shouldn't be a chance of accidentally pressing the brake pedal...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Alonso Fan

Goran2812 wrote:
turbof1 wrote:What I wonder with the drs pedal of ferrari, being so close to the brake pedal, is there any chance of accidently pressing the brake pedal down too?
the drs is activated when the driver leans his foot to the left on the switch... he doesn't do a forward motion like braking, so technically, there shouldn't be a chance of accidentally pressing the brake pedal...
yeah, they'd be a bit stupid making it a proper pedal next to the break pedal in case of accidently pressing the break pedal. They've made too many mistakes already this season and i'm just glad that this isn't another one. :)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Kalsi
Kalsi

Nice infos guys! Anyway i believe the reportages maybe based on older specifications coming from the 2012 car, or maybe Ferrari has changed it before or during the 2013 season's start ... The video i posted from barhain clearly shows the left hand of Fernando activating DRS.... it could also be they "tried" another solution. I'll see if i can find some more infos around ... keep up : )

Kalsi
Kalsi

As i promised... In this video from Malaysia qualifying you can see both Felipe and Fernando driving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKoGbG1KrMs
By looking at it i think that Ferrari is using a "modified" DRS activation system on Fernando's car for this year (Left hand backside lever) while is still using the "old" foot operated version with Felipe
This could explain the videos and speculations iotar__ posted, they probably are founded but they actually changed, at least on one of their car...

Hail22

Kalsi wrote:As i promised... In this video from Malaysia qualifying you can see both Felipe and Fernando driving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKoGbG1KrMs
By looking at it i think that Ferrari is using a "modified" DRS activation system on Fernando's car for this year (Left hand backside lever) while is still using the "old" foot operated version with Felipe
This could explain the videos and speculations iotar__ posted, they probably are founded but they actually changed, at least on one of their car...
0:40 of the video watch his right index finger...it taps the upper most rear section of his steering wheel then boom DRS opens, most likely a new way to activate it rather then using pedals.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Ra8
Ra8

DRS can be activated only when the FIA activates it from the race control. So activating it during braking etc. shouldnt be possible.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Ra8 wrote:DRS can be activated only when the FIA activates it from the race control. So activating it during braking etc. shouldnt be possible.
Except that as we all know, because of the ECU problems, teams have been told to deal with it manually.