Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Matt Somers
Matt Somers

Re: Ferrari F138

beelsebob wrote:
Ra8 wrote:DRS can be activated only when the FIA activates it from the race control. So activating it during braking etc. shouldnt be possible.
Except that as we all know, because of the ECU problems, teams have been told to deal with it manually.
Indeed we have already covered the fact that Fernando overtake Rosberg with the use of DRS out of the last corner when not in the zone. He realised and let Nico retake him into turn 1....
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Kalsi
Kalsi

Thanks for the video... we know that ferrari had started the season with the FOOT OPERATED version, and that from some videos of Massa you can see he is still using it...
But by looking at THIS video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeLbfBNtYQ
AT 00:40 OPEN first DRS ZONE but the movement of the left hand here can barely be seen
AT 00:48 CLOSE end of first DRS ZONE the movement from the left hand is clear, he is releasing something
AT 01:22 OPEN
AT 01:24 CLOSE
AT 01:25 OPEN
AT 01:26 CLOSE Fernando is kinda "trying" the DRS activator ....and if you watch the DRS green light on the graphics together with his left hand you can clearly see (expecially from 1:22) how every single time the light switches his left hand presses or releases the BACK LEFT SIDE of the weel ... it's so clear

F1NAC

Ferrari with Lotus tested in Idiada apparently

http://www.f1passion.it/2013/04/f1-test ... arcellona/

Spankyham

Kalsi wrote:Thanks for the video... we know that ferrari had started the season with the FOOT OPERATED version, and that from some videos of Massa you can see he is still using it...
But by looking at THIS video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeLbfBNtYQ
AT 00:40 OPEN first DRS ZONE but the movement of the left hand here can barely be seen
AT 00:48 CLOSE end of first DRS ZONE the movement from the left hand is clear, he is releasing something
AT 01:22 OPEN
AT 01:24 CLOSE
AT 01:25 OPEN
AT 01:26 CLOSE Fernando is kinda "trying" the DRS activator ....and if you watch the DRS green light on the graphics together with his left hand you can clearly see (expecially from 1:22) how every single time the light switches his left hand presses or releases the BACK LEFT SIDE of the weel ... it's so clear
I think they have both foot and hand activation
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

Alonso Fan

beelsebob wrote:
Ra8 wrote:DRS can be activated only when the FIA activates it from the race control. So activating it during braking etc. shouldnt be possible.
Except that as we all know, because of the ECU problems, teams have been told to deal with it manually.
with the problems, it means that teams have to control it by themselves, but even with the problems, they shouldn't be able to activate it whilst braking, as this is a safety precaution.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

bizadfar
bizadfar

if you remember a few seasons ago, they had problems when braking at the conclusion of a DRS zone.
Something along the lines of flow reattachment "lag" - I forgot.

This pedal gives them time to avoid that if in they haven't been able to solve that.

If Alonso has new system, any difference to Massa's rear wing? Or the issue has been resolved and they're now stepping away from the requirement of the pedal.

Goran2812
Goran2812

yep, they had the reattachment problem during braking in the drs zone, and their solution was to deactivate the drs flap a little bit before they started braking so the flow could attach... if they solved that, then there is no need for the pedal anymore... we'll see...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Alonso Fan

Goran2812 wrote:yep, they had the reattachment problem during braking in the drs zone, and their solution was to deactivate the drs flap a little bit before they started braking so the flow could attach... if they solved that, then there is no need for the pedal anymore... we'll see...
ok, i see what you're getting at, but how does a pedal operated system help the airflow to re attach?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

wesley123
wesley123

Because when the driver foot removes itself from the pedal the DRS closes, and the driver actually has to do this to brake. So in the fraction that he driver moves his foot from the DRS pedal to the brake pedal the DRS is closed. And because of this they wont switch to a button.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Kalsi
Kalsi

Absolutely legit... but the video from Barhain is CLEARLY showing Alonso using a lever behind the wheel on the left... without any doubt

Alonso Fan

Kalsi wrote:Absolutely legit... but the video from Barhain is CLEARLY showing Alonso using a lever behind the wheel on the left... without any doubt
looks like they got round the problem then. and it's time they had, as they've had the re attachment problem since 2011, according to gary anderson
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

F1.Ru

Autosport wrote:Tombazis said Ferrari will introduce several updates to the bodywork, floor and wings in this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix. Fernando Alonso Ferrari F1 2013He acknowledged the biggest challenge will be to judge the performance of each part before deciding what stays on the car.
As expected we are going to see a new version of FW which most probably will be stronger as well as flexible as RBR or Merc, and yes there are still room for improvement in the bodywork section and their RW is another concern i think for Ferrari. Caz it provide reasonable DW while causing little/intended amount of drag. Also i am looking forward to see if they can bring any sort of DDRS with upgrade package. Caz if any teams able to harness the power of DDrs it will be able to sports a larger RW for more DW as well as when needed can shed huge amount of drag for a longer period and unlimited times in a race or Qualifing.

Full Story is on>>> http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107244
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

aral
aral

Kalsi wrote:Absolutely legit... but the video from Barhain is CLEARLY showing Alonso using a lever behind the wheel on the left... without any doubt
That could be for anything!

sucof

F1.Ru wrote:
Autosport wrote:Tombazis said Ferrari will introduce several updates to the bodywork, floor and wings in this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix. Fernando Alonso Ferrari F1 2013He acknowledged the biggest challenge will be to judge the performance of each part before deciding what stays on the car.
As expected we are going to see a new version of FW which most probably will be stronger as well as flexible as RBR or Merc, and yes there are still room for improvement in the bodywork section and their RW is another concern i think for Ferrari. Caz it provide reasonable DW while causing little/intended amount of drag. Also i am looking forward to see if they can bring any sort of DDRS with upgrade package. Caz if any teams able to harness the power of DDrs it will be able to sports a larger RW for more DW as well as when needed can shed huge amount of drag for a longer period and unlimited times in a race or Qualifing.

Full Story is on>>> http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107244
Many think that Red bull has a DDRS since the start of the season, which works like what they had last year only fed from somewhere else.