Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Chuckjr

Re: Ferrari F138

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 681869.jpg

Why does the carbon fiber have a checkerboard appearance on half the side pod exhaust area and not on the other areas? Is it for structure or aero advantage, or just how the carbon fiber lay up works out sometimes?
Watching F1 since 1986.

ecapox

Different type and size of the weave. By default they will have different properties.

shelly
shelly

The checkerboard-pattern is called "spread tow" and I think it is patented by a Swedish company. IIrc redbull were the first to use it. As far as I remember it is thin and has a good drapability, so it is often used in bodywork big panels , with strips of other weaves making a frame all around and acting as a reinforcement
twitter: @armchair_aero

Kalsi
Kalsi

I very think they are not gonna use both the new big updates the brought here ( longer final part of the pods and the turning vanes on them ) but why didn't they try em on alonso's car too?
ANYWAY i found that in the "massa's version", the f138 had a different shape underneath the pods too... it seems they are trying to maximize the coanda effect on the bottom side of the pods too to better "redirect" air and seal the diffuser, this could be the reason for both the exhaust to be longer and for the pods to have the new turning vanes
http://www.f1passion.it/wp-content/uplo ... a-2013.jpg
By the way ... stefan... very nice pics, where are you taking them?
Looking at them i noticed HOW GOOD are those used tires , even if i don't know how long they were used, ferrari is doing a great job in terms of tyres consumption

donskar
donskar

Looks like the car's updates provided good practice speed, but not the qualifying results needed.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Alonso Fan

donskar wrote:Looks like the car's updates provided good practice speed, but not the qualifying results needed.
maybe they couldn't find the right balance with the updates, and thought that they'd stick to the older spec that they knew better.

their race pace is good though, also shown by the impressive long runs on Friday.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

at least red bull aren't on pole, as we know that the mercedes' tyres degrade badly
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

f300v10
f300v10

Only 0.17 off Vettel, so the times were very close on a track that is all about aero and efficiency. We can discount the 1 lap wonder Mercedes, so overall the f138 was very competative in qualifying.

Alonso has a huge top speed edge over Vettel, so he may have optimized his setup for race trim and passing. I hope he can jump Kimi at the start as we know his race pace is very strong.

f300v10
f300v10

Alonso Fan wrote:
donskar wrote:Looks like the car's updates provided good practice speed, but not the qualifying results needed.
maybe they couldn't find the right balance with the updates, and thought that they'd stick to the older spec that they knew better.

their race pace is good though, also shown by the impressive long runs on Friday.
The rain prevented adequate running to verify the performance of the updated exhaust/sidepods, so they didn't use them.

stefan_
stefan_

Spain 2013 - Saturday (11.05.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

krisfx
krisfx

shelly wrote:The checkerboard-pattern is called "spread tow" and I think it is patented by a Swedish company. IIrc redbull were the first to use it. As far as I remember it is thin and has a good drapability, so it is often used in bodywork big panels , with strips of other weaves making a frame all around and acting as a reinforcement

I actually thought the checkerboard pattern was just something to do with Red Bull's design, so that's quite insightful! - They even do hats with that style of design on aha but to be fair, that carbon fibre looks awesome, though.

EDIT: As I've only noticed it on the RB cars

Alonso Fan

what are those slot gaps for? (under the brembo logo on the white strip beneath the exhausts)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

aral
aral

Alonso Fan wrote:what are those slot gaps for? (under the brembo logo on the white strip beneath the exhausts)
Vents!

sucof

Does anybody know if these sidepods are the same new ones used in the last race (with the bigger bulges) or the older ones? They look thinner to me.

Alonso Fan

gilgen wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:what are those slot gaps for? (under the brembo logo on the white strip beneath the exhausts)
Vents!
for what?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord