Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f300v10
f300v10

Re: Ferrari F138

PABLOEING wrote:¿how many upgrades in Ferrari for spain?
The only major visible upgrades I saw where those tested in FP1 only by Massa and not raced: new sidepods wth updated flow conditioners at the front and the exhaust exit further aft and lower.

Both cars did run with an additional small winglet on the side of the cockpit forward of the mirrors.

smhasan7
smhasan7

Regarding Ferrari's upgrades, this is what James Allen had to say in response to one comment:

Mocho_Pikuain Reply:
May 13th, 2013 at 10:40 am

According to Massa and Alonso, Ferrari updates didn’t work for this race, the car was almost identical as it came from Bahrein. Imagine if the new parts had worked how far ahead the Ferrari would be…

[Reply]

James Allen Reply:
May 13th, 2013 at 10:42 am

That’s not what I heard them say and not what Domenicali told us last night

amouzouris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI-UdknnK4o

Ted was talking about Ferrari's rear brake ducts on his qualifying note book (towards the end). Did anyone notice any upgrades for this race in that area??

Redragon

amouzouris wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI-UdknnK4o

Ted was talking about Ferrari's rear brake ducts on his qualifying note book (towards the end). Did anyone notice any upgrades for this race in that area??
I don't know but they are the ones that the FIA were checking after quali

Goran2812
Goran2812

So, 2012 tires are coming back from Canada... What do you guys think Ferrari will have to change (if they have to change anything) to cope better with last years rubber? And what about all the planned updates based on this years information... Will there be changes?
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

sucof

Goran2812 wrote:So, 2012 tires are coming back from Canada... What do you guys think Ferrari will have to change (if they have to change anything) to cope better with last years rubber? And what about all the planned updates based on this years information... Will there be changes?
I hope what Pirelli said is that the structure will not be changed, only the compound. And if that is true, the changes what maybe Ferrari has to do will be minimal, maybe only suspension or setup related.
If they change the construction too then every team will have difficulties... like Mclaren has now.

Update:
This article says that the construction will be changed too :(
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107432

Also there is a nice analysis about the whole thing.

amouzouris

sucof wrote:
Goran2812 wrote:So, 2012 tires are coming back from Canada... What do you guys think Ferrari will have to change (if they have to change anything) to cope better with last years rubber? And what about all the planned updates based on this years information... Will there be changes?
I hope what Pirelli said is that the structure will not be changed, only the compound. And if that is true, the changes what maybe Ferrari has to do will be minimal, maybe only suspension or setup related.
If they change the construction too then every team will have difficulties... like Mclaren has now.

Update:
This article says that the construction will be changed too :(
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107432

Also there is a nice analysis about the whole thing.
If the shape of the tire is changed..and reverted back to last year's...it is not just ferrari that is gonna have problems...its all of the teams..i think it is unlikely that they will change the shape mid season...the tire shape has a very big impact on the front wing design..
if they change it though..it will be the same for everyone...as it is now...as far as I am concerned..all of this pirelli chatter is just bitching and whining from teams not performing as well as they want to..the whining is transferred to the teams' fans..and the whole world of F1 has turned around..anw...this is not the place to discuss this

shelly
shelly

smhasan7 wrote:Regarding Ferrari's upgrades, this is what James Allen had to say in response to one comment:

Mocho_Pikuain Reply:
May 13th, 2013 at 10:40 am

According to Massa and Alonso, Ferrari updates didn’t work for this race, the car was almost identical as it came from Bahrein. Imagine if the new parts had worked how far ahead the Ferrari would be…

[Reply]

James Allen Reply:
May 13th, 2013 at 10:42 am

That’s not what I heard them say and not what Domenicali told us last night
Also from the data from intelligentf1.com it seemed that massa's pace was incredibly good on friday compared to alonso and all the other cars.
http://intelligentf1.wordpress.com/2013 ... -practice/
Please notice the sentence about massa being quicker: "I don't really know what's going on there"
From insider info it seemed that at barcelona ferrari would have tested a new idea about exhausts. We have seen the longer bodywork and the revised pod wing, but maybe the most significant part of the upgrade is in the exhaust system. I have the idea that they are already satisfied with what they have, as the f138 was the most competitive car in spain, and have already seen that what they have in the pipeline is working and gives significant advantage
twitter: @armchair_aero

Alonso Fan

I have the idea that they are already satisfied with what they have, as the f138 was the most competitive car in spain, and have already seen that what they have in the pipeline is working and gives significant advantage
so looks like they got their correlation problems sorted out then
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Kalsi
Kalsi

I think and hope this article would sort out all of our doubts
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107421
especially considering this sentence by Paul Hembery: "We will be taking some of the design of the 2013 tyres, but also some of the elements of the 2011 and 2012 products that served us so well during that period."

So i am personally thinking they wont just "revert back" to the 2012 tyre spec because if i recall correctly the 2013 tyres were heavier and that also would generate a "total car weight" additional problem, i think they will use the 2013 base with a more 2012ish compound sticked to it

Anyway, before risking to go too much out off topic we should try to bring the discussion (wich is already going) in the Pirelli 2013 topic: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =6&t=13601 :)

As for Ferrari i think that wouldn't absolutely be more problematic than it could be for other teams so we shouldn't worry too much about that, particularly if you think that Ferrari has the most "clean and balanced" front part of the car and still has another ace called Hirohide Hamashima ;)

FLuidd
FLuidd

From insider info it seemed that at barcelona ferrari would have tested a new idea about exhausts. We have seen the longer bodywork and the revised pod wing, but maybe the most significant part of the upgrade is in the exhaust system. I have the idea that they are already satisfied with what they have, as the f138 was the most competitive car in spain, and have already seen that what they have in the pipeline is working and gives significant advantage
Wishful thinking.

There are no evidence of a new exhaust system and than magical pace of Massa is due to the tyres.

Instead of speculating bullshit , post some pictures and let us analyse and think for ourselves.

Kiril Varbanov

James Allen reports that in Spain not all of the parts were used simply because of lack of running, due to the rain in Friday.
Among updates were exhausts, diffuser and front brake ducts.
The work on the exhausts and diffuser was in order to improve the low speed mid-corner to corner exit downforce levels, which are important as they make up around 25% of the lap time. This is a big area for all teams at the moment, as is work to control the temperature of the front and rear tyres.
Despite that, Alonso and Massa have apparently found good balance and did not want to upset that.

Goran2812
Goran2812

FLuidd wrote:
Wishful thinking.

There are no evidence of a new exhaust system and than magical pace of Massa is due to the tyres.

Instead of speculating bullshit , post some pictures and let us analyse and think for ourselves.
why don't you calm down buddy... No need for that kind of language.

Back to topic, the car looks well balanced, as Kiril pointed out the James Allen text. In Monaco we'll probably see further testing of the new components, at least in FP1. I'm curious to see if they'll have luck with them and keep them on the car, or wait for Canada and bolt them on then!
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

f300v10
f300v10

shelly wrote:
Also from the data from intelligentf1.com it seemed that massa's pace was incredibly good on friday compared to alonso and all the other cars.
http://intelligentf1.wordpress.com/2013 ... -practice/
Please notice the sentence about massa being quicker: "I don't really know what's going on there"
Massa only ran the updated sidepod/exhaust setup in FP1. The laps times being analyzed in the intlligentf1 article are from FP2, so the updates played no role in Massa's performance.

If James Allen is correct that the sidepod/exhaust updates are intended to improve low speed corner exit performance, than I would expect to see them re-appear for Monaco.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Gary Anderson's analysis of some of the F138 updates in Barcelona

via AutoSport

via AutoSport