Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Holm86

Re: Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 2013

Pup wrote:According to Hembry himself, there will be aero implications...
“We’re going to give teams a lot more data tomorrow. We’re finalising the precise specification. Really, it’s a little bit of a mix of what we’ve been using this season and some of the structural stuff we had last season – which will help minimise the impact for the teams.

As you can imagine, there’s a lot of work to be done on aerodynamics and tyres can impact on that – the way they deform – so teams will be keen to have that data asap so they can all start working towards Canada. From an aero point of view, that can have an impact. That’s why we’d like to give them something that they’ve used a little bit in the past – so they’ve already got some data.

It’s also probably as well the way the compounds will work with the car: they’ll be less aggressive from some points of view which will slightly modify the strategy of how they use the tyres during the race.”
Any reason why this discussion is in the team thread and not the car thread?
I have allready mentioned it in the car thread. I asked what people thought the "new" tires would do to the MP4-28. They have had to change the floor because of the way the 2013 tires deformed. Now they can perhaps change back to the old floors and perhaps they will Work.

Richard
Richard

The soundbite that Pirelli are bringing back some features from 2012 tyres does rekindle the suggestion of bringing back the 27.

However, I don't think it was ever realistic for McLaren to revert to the 27.I suspect they see it as the start of a new design philosophy, an investment for long term development. So they're unlikely to back out of a long term plan due to a short term difficulty.

ps - Discussing the actual changes to the car does belong in the car thread as Pup noted, and discussion of tyres in the Pirelli thread.

Huntresa
Huntresa

wunderkind
wunderkind

I think there is a fair chance McLaren won't win any Championships for the next 3-4 seasons at least.

Shakeman

wunderkind wrote:I think there is a fair chance McLaren won't win any Championships for the next 3-4 seasons at least.
The last decade alone would indicate the chances of a McLaren championship are slim to nonexistent. "Exist to win" has had a hollow ring to it for years.

I bet Merc are furious with the amount of IP that'll transfer in 2014.

beelsebob
beelsebob

It's actually a very smart move – McLaren will get to decide their engine maps again in 2015, and get a big advantage over everyone by being able to redesign their exhaust solution on the new 2014 car.

wunderkind
wunderkind

Shakeman wrote:
wunderkind wrote:I think there is a fair chance McLaren won't win any Championships for the next 3-4 seasons at least.
The last decade alone would indicate the chances of a McLaren championship are slim to nonexistent. "Exist to win" has had a hollow ring to it for years.

I bet Merc are furious with the amount of IP that'll transfer in 2014.
Merc will be giving McLaren no more than is necessary. But Merc is not, and has never been, dirty or unfair in its dealings.They will never give McLaren faulty engines (Merc wants to gather as much data about the new engine as possible). They will just have to treat McLaren with more caution. Both Merc and McLaren are professional enough to know what is at stake.

wunderkind
wunderkind

beelsebob wrote:and get a big advantage over everyone by being able to redesign their exhaust solution on the new 2014 car.
Could you elaborate on this point?

Huntresa
Huntresa

beelsebob wrote:It's actually a very smart move – McLaren will get to decide their engine maps again in 2015, and get a big advantage over everyone by being able to redesign their exhaust solution on the new 2014 car.
Exhausts will be in a position where they can do very little with the cars aerodynamics in 2014 and onwards, explained here http://somersf1.blogspot.se/2013/01/201 ... anges.html

So i dont think it will be a benefit when it comes to aero but perhaps driveability.

lebesset
lebesset

Pup wrote:According to Hembry himself, there will be aero implications...
“We’re going to give teams a lot more data tomorrow. We’re finalising the precise specification. Really, it’s a little bit of a mix of what we’ve been using this season and some of the structural stuff we had last season – which will help minimise the impact for the teams.

As you can imagine, there’s a lot of work to be done on aerodynamics and tyres can impact on that – the way they deform – so teams will be keen to have that data asap so they can all start working towards Canada. From an aero point of view, that can have an impact. That’s why we’d like to give them something that they’ve used a little bit in the past – so they’ve already got some data.

It’s also probably as well the way the compounds will work with the car: they’ll be less aggressive from some points of view which will slightly modify the strategy of how they use the tyres during the race.”
Any reason why this discussion is in the team thread and not the car thread?
well , I thought it merited it's own thread , but the moderator moved it here

and the original quote I read said that the replacement tyres who be more like 2012 tyres with 2013 compounds , I don't suppose that pirelli will be willing to give chapter and verse to anyone except the teams perhaps ; hembery says they already have some data , and as the compounds are different that can only mean the structure from 2012 tyres
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

beelsebob
beelsebob

wunderkind wrote:
beelsebob wrote:and get a big advantage over everyone by being able to redesign their exhaust solution on the new 2014 car.
Simple, the teams don't get to adjust their engine maps between seasons. However, obviously, a brand new engine will require brand new engine maps, and McLaren will be allowed to create engine maps for it. They'll be able to generate engine maps first for the new 2014 Merc engine, and then for the 2015 Honda engine. That means they'll be able to do research all through 2014 as to how best to get drivability out of the tyres, how to best produce exhaust gasses, how to best tune one of the new turbo engines (though admittedly it'll be how to tune a Merc one).

henra
henra

beelsebob wrote:McLaren will get to decide their engine maps again in 2015, and get a big advantage over everyone by being able to redesign their exhaust solution on the new 2014 car.
Interesting aspect!
Do we know that the other Teams won't be allowed to adjust the maps in 2015?
Since with the new exhaust regulations the aerodynamic possibilities of exploiting it should be marginal I don't see that much of a need for a freeze. The one we have today is mainly to Limit the blowing of the diffuser with excessive amounts of fuel.

Neno
Neno

beelsebob wrote:
McLaren will get to decide their engine maps again in 2015, and get a big advantage over everyone by being able to redesign their exhaust solution on the new 2014 car.
Well, their according to new regulations, exaust is fixed in few mm where today is beam wing, and FIA closed any loophole as the far exaust exit going to find aero performances. So there wont be any "big advantage" and big maybe as some advantage over that, even with engine maps.

Racer X

HONDA Return thats amazing.

Sergio Perez: “Of course, Ayrton is my hero, as he’s a hero to many millions of people living in Central America and South America. So today’s announcement not only rekindles all the fantastic memories of that successful era, but it also starts a new age – which can be even more exciting."

As a fan I think this is great the historic relevance to this announcement is a good one.
But on a more technical side.

Honda makes great turbo units and I hope they can make an engine that's efficient and powerful like the one that last raced on a McLaren in the Ayrton Prost era.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Holm86

beelsebob wrote:
wunderkind wrote:
Simple, the teams don't get to adjust their engine maps between seasons. However, obviously, a brand new engine will require brand new engine maps, and McLaren will be allowed to create engine maps for it. They'll be able to generate engine maps first for the new 2014 Merc engine, and then for the 2015 Honda engine. That means they'll be able to do research all through 2014 as to how best to get drivability out of the tyres, how to best produce exhaust gasses, how to best tune one of the new turbo engines (though admittedly it'll be how to tune a Merc one).

I don't get the point? If maps can be changed between seasons the Merc, Ferrari and Renault will have the exact same possibilities as Honda and McLaren.

EDIT: misunderstood. Thought you ment maps can't be changed in season but could be changed between seasons. But i really dont get why they cant change maps between seasons. Sounds stupid.