Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Nomore
Nomore

Re: Ferrari F138

@Crucial_Xtreme

Thanks for the info, i have the feeling that this year Ferrari could run two different specification cars for high downforce tracks and low downforce tracks...In Monaco, they could return the the exhaust like in Bahrain or use the one that Massa tried in FP1 in Barcelona. In Barcelona it was more a China style.

About the tires change can anyone specified what changes need Ferrari to make, because i listen that the new tires will need more aerodynamic grip and the one that we use are based more in mechanical grip...i mean is this something that they can change throughout the year in 1-2 months... or this year is gone?

F1.Ru

Craig Scarborough wrote:In Autosport Tech Analysis Craig has narrated the following:

Having completed a straightline test at Spain's Idiada facility, Ferrari ran its cars in two slightly different configurations during Friday practice.

Both cars featured changes to the aero detailing around the front of the sidepods, with Felipe Massa's car having a lot more sidepod vanes and a longer exhaust exit panel.

All of the changes appear to be aimed at getting more performance from the Coanda exhaust set-up. The more complex sidepod on Massa's F138 features Sauber-like vanes that arch over the top of the sidepod.

Ferrari already had a two-part sidepod vane. The forward part of the vane now reaches over to the cockpit's edge and aligns with the other fins around that area.

The trailing part of the pod vane now meets the shoulder of the sidepod front, with the vane pointing downwards as if to create lift rather than downforce.

The team ran flow-visualisation tests with this set-up and the flow patterns showed the vanes were turning the airflow down over the sidepods.

This suggests Ferrari is aiming both to deflect the exhaust gasses down to the diffuser and also feed more flow through the coke bottle tail of the sidepod for yet more airflow over the diffuser.

This was removed from the Brazilian's car for second practice and only the additional fin ahead of the wing mirrors remained.
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Wishing there was a GP on this weekend but there isn't so I've been browsing some pictures. I was looking at the underside of the F138 FW and comparing it to the underside of the RB9's FW. There are definitely some differences which are quite interesting.

- The F138 carbon layup is much neater looking and more uniform when compared to the RB9. This could of course explain the RB FW flexibility tendency versus Ferrari's more rigid FW

- The RB9 has more under wing strakes directing flow than Ferrari. 5(RB) versus 3 for Ferrari

- The RB9 starts directing air closer to Y250 axis than Ferrari does

- Top element support on the underside of the wing for RB and none for Ferrari

Right click>view image for higher res(for comparison sake)

via Sutton

via Sutton

Perhaps the engineers at Ferrari can study the pics and take the best from both wings. RB stole the march on FW development years ago while other teams were behind. That said RB has adopted a few Ferrari FW details as of late so maybe the Ferrari FW isn't so bad no matter what GA says. :shock:

Pierce89

@CX: Has GA been criticizing the FW lately? The way he's criticized Macca for too few elements, I figured he loved Ferrari's FW.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Hail22

I cannot find out who the author is however spotted this video showing what the heat vents could possibly doing for Ferrari in terms of "flow conditioning" or Channeling to flow to the rear diffuser / beam wing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBx36hp9o_M[/youtube]

P.S This video also does contain comments about the Mercedes W04 and Red Bull RB9, if someone else wishes to post the exact video and quote the time stamps so people can skip straight to their desired vehicle then by all means...copy away!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Pierce89 wrote:@CX: Has GA been criticizing the FW lately? The way he's criticized Macca for too few elements, I figured he loved Ferrari's FW.
More or less, yes. He's toned it down a bit but he's still critical of it and loves to say(over & over again) about how the F-138 FW isn't a complex and/or elaborate as others, suggesting they're missing a bit of performance because of it.

He's less hard on the car than he was last year but still gets in a shot or two every now and then.

stefan_
stefan_

Monaco 2013 - Wednesday (22.05.2013)

via AMuS
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Two tier monkey seat for Monaco

via Matt Somers/Sutton

Ozan
Ozan

Three-level Monkey Seats for Ferrari, I hope that brings them enough rear downforce they expected.

stefan_
stefan_

Monaco 2013 - Wednesday (22.05.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Ferrari2183
Ferrari2183

Someone on twitter mentioned that the detailing on the Ferrari's has really improved this year. Ie. the screws, the finish of parts...

I concur.

bhall
bhall

Ferrari2183 wrote:Someone on twitter mentioned that the detailing on the Ferrari's has really improved this year. Ie. the screws, the finish of parts...

I concur.
I think that's the result of not having to rush parts out of the factory in a desperate attempt to figure out what the --- is going on with the car, a la the F2012, which looked like it was built by migrant workers. :D

Anyone know what's going on here?

Original image here.

Those slots were at least tested in Barcelona, but I think we missed it during the "Are they longer?" sidpod shuffle.

Barcelona

Or, have I missed a previous discussion about it? If so, can someone please bring me up to speed?

(They weren't on the car in Bahrain or China, but that's as far back as I looked.)

amouzouris

I'm thinking its a different take on the multiple elements next to the endplate from last year....but i haven't seen any photos of the rear of the RW...was this only on Massa's car?

EDIT: I'm gonna answer my own question: It was only on Massa's car and its an upgrade we have missed.

EDIT 2: It seems we have missed the new RW introduced on the last race:

It had a new leading edge, it was used on Saturday morning but i don't know if it was used int he race

Here is a shot of the rear of the new RW:

There is no hole at the rear which blows away what i have written above
I'm thinking its a different take on the multiple elements next to the endplate from last year
Is that a hole above the leading edge?

EDIT 3: Actually Massa used it in the race
Last edited by amouzouris on 22 May 2013, 18:50, edited 4 times in total.

csponton
csponton

From the image below you can see that you have changed the design of the pillars supporting the front wing. At the bottom you can see the wing with the standard attachment (curvilinear design), while the upper one is designed specifically for this track which has the main purpose to increase the load generated downforce.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Some F138 suspension detail

via Sutton