Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kosioBG

Re: Ferrari F138

csponton wrote:From the image below you can see that you have changed the design of the pillars supporting the front wing. At the bottom you can see the wing with the standard attachment (curvilinear design), while the upper one is designed specifically for this track which has the main purpose to increase the load generated downforce.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-N7R8oQNEsRs/U ... PILONI.jpg
may i ask, how are these new pillars supposed to generate more downforce? :?

timbo
timbo

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Some F138 suspension detail

http://formula1.com/wi/enlarge/sutton/2 ... 22my59.jpg
via Sutton
Interesting. Why is driveshaft visible?

RicerDude

timbo wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Some F138 suspension detail

http://formula1.com/wi/enlarge/sutton/2 ... 22my59.jpg
via Sutton
Interesting. Why is driveshaft visible?
Looks like the trailing edge of the shroud is removable and only the leading edge is actually structural.

stefan_
stefan_

Monaco 2013 - Wednesday (22.05.2013)

via AMuS

Last edited by stefan_ on 22 May 2013, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

f300v10
f300v10

bhallg2k wrote: Anyone know what's going on here?

Original image here.
The endplate has slots where the mainplain can be moved up or down to vary the downforce level. Being Monaco, it is all the way down exposing the slots more than we usually see. I think that is just tape to cover the exposed portion of the endplate slots.

Edit: Sorry, now I see you are talking about the slot in the mainplain, not the endplates/tape. Nice find, I don't think anyone has pointed that out yet. I assume Ferrari is trying so get around the '2 element' wing rule in the area adjacent the endplate, and re-energize the boundary layer to prevent seperation.

amouzouris

f300v10 wrote:
bhallg2k wrote: Anyone know what's going on here?

http://i.imgur.com/H5hUjOO.jpg
Original image here.
The endplate has slots where the mainplain can be moved up or down to vary the downforce level. Being Monaco, it is all the way down exposing the slots more than we usually see. I think that is just tape to cover the exposed portion of the endplate slots.
that's not what we are talking about...we are talking about the hole on the edge of the main plane
Last edited by amouzouris on 22 May 2013, 20:42, edited 2 times in total.

f300v10
f300v10

amouzouris wrote:
that's not what we are talking about...we are talking about the hole on the edge of the main plane
Hence the edit that you didn't see in my post. :D

amouzouris

f300v10 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:
Hence the edit that you didn't see in my post. :D
Oh I'm sorry! I replied before you edited your post

majki2111

I think there will not be aero update from Barcelona on top of the sidepods and there will not be longer sidepods from Barcelona which was on Massa's car.(Not sure aboud longer sidepods, though)

Blackout

Ferrari-live - Flickr

Nomore
Nomore

Interesting the amount of updates that Ferrari brings race per race...in comparison with 2009,2010,2011,2012 we are in a whole new level...
For the monkey seat i'm not sure why they want to re-use it...hope that they are 100% sure of what they are doing and is not a desperate way to find some traction on those slow speed corners. This year they seems to do very good in hight speed corners...the slow speed remains a mistery till now.
Also the exhaust (more longer) seems the one that Massa tried in FP1 at Barcelona gp with longer sidepods too but without the flow conditioner around the sidepods...at least is what i see from these photos... Hope that they have enough time to test them in FP1...Here is essential to improve the quali pace..the signs are good, but we have to wait

turbof1

Nomore wrote:Interesting the amount of updates that Ferrari brings race per race...in comparison with 2009,2010,2011,2012 we are in a whole new level...
For the monkey seat i'm not sure why they want to re-use it...hope that they are 100% sure of what they are doing and is not a desperate way to find some traction on those slow speed corners. This year they seems to do very good in hight speed corners...the slow speed remains a mistery till now.
Also the exhaust (more longer) seems the one that Massa tried in FP1 at Barcelona gp with longer sidepods too but without the flow conditioner around the sidepods...at least is what i see from these photos... Hope that they have enough time to test them in FP1...Here is essential to improve the quali pace..the signs are good, but we have to wait
The money seat is a Monaco-standard really. Every team is doing it for several years now each time they race at Monaco. So you shouldn't worry about that; they are just looking for maximum DF like everybody else.
#AeroFrodo

shelly
shelly

Monkey seat is not about the downforce it adds - it allows you to stabilise the flow on a more aggressive rear mainplane.

Interesting development of the front wing pillar without tha notch (a la williams9 - it will be interesting to see if it si a monaco specific configuration to match the flow from high incidence front flap or if it will be kept in other races also
twitter: @armchair_aero

Hail22

I spy with my little eye....

I see turning veins for the ray mouth?

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

majki2111

Hail22 wrote:I spy with my little eye....

I see turning veins for the ray mouth?

http://i42.tinypic.com/2lj111h.jpg
Could be. We will have to wait half a day more to see.