Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly
shelly

Re: Ferrari F138

Yellow fiberglass vanity panel on top, crash structure beneath it is split in two probably both for helping stabilityin crash and torsional behaviour (2cells beam section has a better torsional stiffness compared to a 1 cell arrangement of the same total area)
twitter: @armchair_aero

aral
aral

Dyanxx wrote:
kebab wrote:Something went wrong as the car move left and the front locked at the entry of of turn 1.
Apparently it was driver error.
Possibly not. Sky did a slo mo of the incident, and it showed that just before the barriers, the car jacked up on the front left. Is is possible that Ferrari are trialling FRIC, as this is the only thing that would cause such a rise?

bhall
bhall

Or a rear puncture.

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

gilgen wrote:
Dyanxx wrote:
kebab wrote:Something went wrong as the car move left and the front locked at the entry of of turn 1.
Possibly not. Sky did a slo mo of the incident, and it showed that just before the barriers, the car jacked up on the front left. Is is possible that Ferrari are trialling FRIC, as this is the only thing that would cause such a rise?
If they are actually testing it, I highly doubt they would do so in Monaco

Bomber_Pilot

gilgen wrote:
Dyanxx wrote:
It wasn't the car. This is from Autosport
Felipe Massa remains perplexed about how his heavy Monaco Grand Prix practice crash unfolded, despite agreeing with Ferrari that it was not a technical problem.
The Brazilian slammed into the barriers at Sainte Devote in final practice.
"When I braked over the bump the car touched the floor and I locked both front wheels," Massa said.
"It's not an easy thing to happen, normally you only lock one.
"And then I went into the wall - waiting for it to arrive was not a nice thing.
"I looked at the data, and honestly, when I braked I was in a gear lower than I was on Thursday. I locked both front tyres and it was very strange that it happened."
Ferrari made a huge effort to repair Massa's car but it ran out of time to get him out in Q1, leaving him 22nd on the grid.
"It is the worst track to have such a problem," Massa admitted, "but I think we need to remain positive and we will have to try everything we can for tomorrow.
"Monaco is difficult to overtake at, we know, but anything can happen."
He confirmed that he had not been injured in the incident.
"I feel a few pains in the muscles in my back, but I'm OK and it's nothing that a massage won't sort out," Massa said.
Even Anthony Davidson noticed and showed it on Sky, that he was in a lower gear way earlier than in his previous laps. I still don't understand why that would cause both fronts to lock up like that, so the car could have just bottomed out like Massa said. And as for FRIC, Domenicali said that there is no point in testing something that complex in Monaco.

wesley123
wesley123

amouzouris wrote:I agree with bhal.
Also there are no slots at the rear of the wing, that was my initial thought as well, that its just a different take on that loophole, but as it turns out its not
To get back on the slots thing;
Image is taken form the F1t gallery.

As you can see, on the left section of the wing close to the end plate, there is a hole. So like said, it is nothing more than creating a 3 plane wing in this 20mm section.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Did it seem to anybody else that his right front didn't turn right like the left front just after the lockup? He turns the steering wheel more and more, but it looks to me like the right front doesn't turn at all. Maybe I've had too many beers......

Starts at about 28 seconds in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1lepdwk9kk

amouzouris

wesley123 wrote:
amouzouris wrote:I agree with bhal.
Also there are no slots at the rear of the wing, that was my initial thought as well, that its just a different take on that loophole, but as it turns out its not
To get back on the slots thing;
http://f1tcdn.net/gallery/var/resizes/2 ... 5my188.jpg
Image is taken form the F1t gallery.

As you can see, on the left section of the wing close to the end plate, there is a hole. So like said, it is nothing more than creating a 3 plane wing in this 20mm section.
you might be right but i saw a lot of photos of the rear wing and none had slots..maybe i didn't look at the correct photo!
I'm not ruling out a reflection yet..

EDIT:
Wesley you are right. Here is a clearer shot:

So my initial thought was correct, I looked at the wrong photos

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

toobs1234
toobs1234

flyboy2160 wrote:Did it seem to anybody else that his right front didn't turn right like the left front just after the lockup? He turns the steering wheel more and more, but it looks to me like the right front doesn't turn at all. Maybe I've had too many beers......

You're right! But then what are they hiding by saying it's driver error?

bhall
bhall

wesley123 wrote:[...]
I don't think it's that simple, because there's little reason to create a multi-element section there. The point of multiple elements is to allow for a higher AoA without airflow becoming detached. Irrespective of the fact that the overall AoA of the Ferrari rear wing decreased since last year, this should not be a concern for the area in which the slots are located, because the AoA there is minimal relative to the rest of the wing anyway. (When Ferrari previously ran a multi-element section, it was on the flap and most often integrated with the endplate.)

In my view, the slots are an optimization of DRS. When the flow profile around the wing changes as DRS is activated, I think airflow through the slot serves to separate flow from the back of the wing in the same way Red Bull "stalled" the tips of the beam wing last year and in much the same way as Lotus' DDRS theoretically "stalls" the center section of the main plane.
Last edited by bhall on 25 May 2013, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

amouzouris

Did anyone else notice how they change front wings between FP3 and Qualy?? It seems very strange that they would do that...on FP3 they used this wing:

and in qualy they use the front wing from Bahrain:

wesley123
wesley123

bhallg2k wrote: I don't think it's that simple, because there's little reason to create a multi-element section there.
Much like the front wing, to create a less sensitive wing.
The point of multiple elements is to allow for a higher AoA without airflow becoming detached.
Indeed it does, and compared to previous races they run much higher AoA. Not to mention they use(much like every other team) a long chord, high cambered main plane. This wing would be much more sensitive to changes in yaw/airflow than the shorter chord they ran before DRS came in.
In my view, the slots are an optimization of DRS. When the flow profile around the wing changes as DRS is activated, I think airflow through the slot serves to separate flow from the back of the wing in the same way Red Bull "stalled" the tips of the beam wing last year and in much the same way as Lotus' DDRS theoretically "stalls" the center section of the main plane.
Imo that doesnt sound logical.
1. They have been running slots in this area since 2011 already.
2. Why would the slot stall when DRs is open but not when closed? The slots direction doesnt change with DRS open or closed.
3. With DRS closed there is higher pressure on top of the wing, as well as on the flap. This would cause (iic) airflow to flow through the slot more likely due to the lower pressure on the underside. So there would be more flow through it. So if it would cause stall with DRS open, it sure would with DRS closed.

Also note how it is on a great position just where there is the largest camber change, a position where you sure would expect airflow to either stall or be close to stalling. Sure if it's point was stalling with DRS open you would place it further forward, for more effect.

It is to create a multiple element wing and nothing more. Like said, they have been running(and other teams have too) it since early 2011, so no tricks here(unless ofc the trick was applied already in 2011, then copied by other teams without any knowledge of any of the reporters like Scarbs etc. etc.)

EDIT: Image
Here for example, the one on the lotus, this was last race

And here, the F2012
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

timbo
timbo

Bomber_Pilot wrote:Even Anthony Davidson noticed and showed it on Sky, that he was in a lower gear way earlier than in his previous laps. I still don't understand why that would cause both fronts to lock up like that, so the car could have just bottomed out like Massa said. And as for FRIC, Domenicali said that there is no point in testing something that complex in Monaco.
I watched the replay and he downshifted after the fronts locked up.

timbo
timbo

flyboy2160 wrote:Did it seem to anybody else that his right front didn't turn right like the left front just after the lockup? He turns the steering wheel more and more, but it looks to me like the right front doesn't turn at all. Maybe I've had too many beers......

Yeah, looks like it.