Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SiLo

Re: Ferrari F138

sucof wrote:
SectorOne wrote:You can simply look at the text written on the tire.

The wheel should move in the same direction you read the text i.e. left to right.

I am pretty sure the text will read always correctly, regardless how you put the wheel on or how you swap them :)
I was going to say... Beat me to it!
Felipe Baby!

Huntresa
Huntresa

Why are you linkin pics of front tires?

Its the rear tyres that alot of teams have been switching around not front.

Léon
Léon

Look here, Ferrari also testing de front with left/right.

Kiril Varbanov

Latest updates on F138 from AMuS by Piola: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 76169.html

bhall
bhall

Léon wrote:Look here, Ferrari also testing de front with left/right.
I don't think so. At least, I don't think that's what your image shows, because the Pirelli sticker indicates a left-side tire, but so does Ferrari's own green stenciling. When a team runs a left-side tire on the right side of the car, their stenciling indicates that the tire should be treated as a right-side tire, as seen below.

(McLaren)

Also, I think teams are only doing left/right swaps on the rears, not the fronts. The Ferrari picture was probably taken after the team had just thrown on an old set of tires in order to run the car through scrutineering.

diffuser

It is the left tire on the right side, there is no doubt about that.

Hail22

I love the detailing of those two splitter fins (or whatever the official term going around is).
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

wesley123
wesley123

Indeed it seems like a much more developped area compared to other teams
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Michiba
Michiba

bhallg2k wrote:
Léon wrote:Look here, Ferrari also testing de front with left/right.
I don't think so. At least, I don't think that's what your image shows, because the Pirelli sticker indicates a left-side tire, but so does Ferrari's own green stenciling. When a team runs a left-side tire on the right side of the car, their stenciling indicates that the tire should be treated as a right-side tire, as seen below.

http://i.imgur.com/nWr6gHU.jpg
(McLaren)

Also, I think teams are only doing left/right swaps on the rears, not the fronts. The Ferrari picture was probably taken after the team had just thrown on an old set of tires in order to run the car through scrutineering.
Look at the photo of Massa's car on the crane after he crashed. He was clearly using the (Pirelli labelled) L tire on the front right during the race.

bhall
bhall

Ah, I didn't see that. My eyes aren't what they used to be. (Though, they're still eyes.)

Thanks.

SiLo

bhallg2k wrote:Ah, I didn't see that. My eyes aren't what they used to be. (Though, they're still eyes.)

Thanks.
Sorry for being off topic, but your avatar is fantastic!

Back on topic, I find it strange how some teams leave areas seemingly completely under developed and some really fine tune the smaller details, such as the Ferrari here, yet still end up with the same pace. If Ferrari are working around with tyres, is it a way of increasing tyre life? So they run with the tyre on the right, then swap it so the contact patch is further towards the less worn side of the tyre, meaning they can run more with one set of tyres.
Felipe Baby!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Gary Anderson's Analysis of the F138 nose pylon change

via AutoSport

stefan_
stefan_

New chassis for Massa

Felipe Massa will start the Canadian Grand Prix weekend with a brand-new chassis. The Ferrari team has confirmed the Brazilian's chassis used in Monaco will not be used at the Gilles Villeneuve Circuit this weekend.

Felipe Massa crashed in Monaco's free practice and race at the start-finish straight and even though he had to visit a nearby hospital for check-ups following his heavy crash in the race he was doing fine. His car though was in worse shape and will be replaced.
source

---------

Canada 2013 - Wednesday (05.06.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Chuckjr

I'm just curious, but what does it cost to "replace a chassis" these days? It seems this action is avoided unless there is something very wrong with the car or it's totaled. Is this avoidance to change because of cost or another reason? Years ago they would bring 4 chassis to a race weekend and often change them, if I remember correctly, between quali and race. Why is it so rare now to do it--change a chassis at any point during a season?
Watching F1 since 1986.

nhojekim
nhojekim

Looks like they brought their new exhaust configuration.
stefan_ wrote:New chassis for Massa

Felipe Massa will start the Canadian Grand Prix weekend with a brand-new chassis. The Ferrari team has confirmed the Brazilian's chassis used in Monaco will not be used at the Gilles Villeneuve Circuit this weekend.

Felipe Massa crashed in Monaco's free practice and race at the start-finish straight and even though he had to visit a nearby hospital for check-ups following his heavy crash in the race he was doing fine. His car though was in worse shape and will be replaced.
source

---------

Canada 2013 - Wednesday (05.06.2013)

https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/19/ferlg.jpg