Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Tim.Wright

Re: Ferrari F138

Chuckjr wrote:I'm just curious, but what does it cost to "replace a chassis" these days? It seems this action is avoided unless there is something very wrong with the car or it's totaled. Is this avoidance to change because of cost or another reason? Years ago they would bring 4 chassis to a race weekend and often change them, if I remember correctly, between quali and race. Why is it so rare now to do it--change a chassis at any point during a season?
I remember teams bringing upto 4 chassis to a race, but I don't ever recall a time they would ever change between qualy and race unless there was a problem. Regardless of how good your manufacture and assembly capabilities are, if you change a chassis you have yourself a different car. To race with a chassis that was not setup in qualifying would be absolutely crazy and I can't believe anybody did that by choice.

In short, changing a chassis is always a big deal. Even stepping into the T-car back in the day would be avoided unless absolutely necessary because its an unproven car.

Cost surely will come into it as well. I'd guess that an F1 tub is by far the most expensive chassis component to develop and also to manufacture. To build a tub to existing drawings would still take a 6 figure sum I'd guess.
Not the engineer at Force India

aral
aral

Tim.Wright wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:I'm just curious, but what does it cost to "replace a chassis" these days? It seems this action is avoided unless there is something very wrong with the car or it's totaled. Is this avoidance to change because of cost or another reason? Years ago they would bring 4 chassis to a race weekend and often change them, if I remember correctly, between quali and race. Why is it so rare now to do it--change a chassis at any point during a season?
I remember teams bringing upto 4 chassis to a race, but I don't ever recall a time they would ever change between qualy and race unless there was a problem. Regardless of how good your manufacture and assembly capabilities are, if you change a chassis you have yourself a different car. To race with a chassis that was not setup in qualifying would be absolutely crazy and I can't believe anybody did that by choice.

In short, changing a chassis is always a big deal. Even stepping into the T-car back in the day would be avoided unless absolutely necessary because its an unproven car.

Cost surely will come into it as well. I'd guess that an F1 tub is by far the most expensive chassis component to develop and also to manufacture. To build a tub to existing drawings would still take a 6 figure sum I'd guess.

When a tub is homologated, the factory build six or seven of the tubs to exactly the same spec. So there is little difficulty in replacing the tub and just bolting on all the ancilliaries, apart from it being a time consuming job.

Huntresa
Huntresa

They are only allowed to bring along 1 whole chassi to races now in case something bad would happen that would need a new one, but they arent allowed to use the other one unless first one is broken.

And its just a chassi, as in no engine etc until you use it.

Reaper33X
Reaper33X

gilgen wrote:

When a tub is homologated, the factory build six or seven of the tubs to exactly the same spec. So there is little difficulty in replacing the tub and just bolting on all the ancilliaries, apart from it being a time consuming job.
I don't think they build that many.
I saw McLaren say on twitter that they've only built 4 tubs this year.

2 race cars, 1 spare chassis at the race, 1 at the factory

f1316
f1316

nhojekim wrote:Looks like they brought their new exhaust configuration.
stefan_ wrote:New chassis for Massa

Felipe Massa will start the Canadian Grand Prix weekend with a brand-new chassis. The Ferrari team has confirmed the Brazilian's chassis used in Monaco will not be used at the Gilles Villeneuve Circuit this weekend.

Felipe Massa crashed in Monaco's free practice and race at the start-finish straight and even though he had to visit a nearby hospital for check-ups following his heavy crash in the race he was doing fine. His car though was in worse shape and will be replaced.
source

---------

Canada 2013 - Wednesday (05.06.2013)

https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/19/ferlg.jpg

Really? Looks the same to me. What makes you think it's the new exhaust config. (I presume you mean the Barca-tested one)?

elFranZ

f1316 wrote:Really? Looks the same to me. What makes you think it's the new exhaust config. (I presume you mean the Barca-tested one)?
The circle-shaped bump on the body before the exhaust area. That was on the never-raced Barca update, so maybe we're going to see it again.

Richard
Richard

I recall Schumacher used to have a different cars for the race and qualification?

nhojekim
nhojekim

f1316 wrote:
nhojekim wrote:Looks like they brought their new exhaust configuration.

Really? Looks the same to me. What makes you think it's the new exhaust config. (I presume you mean the Barca-tested one)?

Yes the one tested in Barca.

timbo
timbo

richard_leeds wrote:I recall Schumacher used to have a different cars for the race and qualification?
Maybe on some occasions, but I never heard there was a trend.

wesley123
wesley123

richard_leeds wrote:I recall Schumacher used to have a different cars for the race and qualification?
Everyone had so because they could change their car in between Qualifying and the race
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

timbo
timbo

wesley123 wrote:
Everyone had so because they could change their car in between Qualifying and the race
I don't think it was done that so often. The gearbox and engine were replaced, that's for sure, but setting up different chassis was not a common occasion IIRC. Usualy people complained if they, say, had a crash in qualy and had to use a spare car for the race. I recon even with identical setting there might be variations in how car behaved.

wesley123
wesley123

They didnt really changed chassis, but they did change the setup between Qualy and the Race.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

timbo
timbo

wesley123 wrote:They didnt really changed chassis, but they did change the setup between Qualy and the Race.
Ah, yes. They did. Sometimes the setup was corrected even during the qualifying.

zonk
zonk

We really going of topic, but don't forget there was a Sunday practice (warmup)

stefan_
stefan_

Canada 2013 - Thursday (06.06.2013)

"The bridge" tested in Barcelona appears again.
via AMuS

Last edited by stefan_ on 06 Jun 2013, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985