Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
amouzouris

Re: Ferrari F138

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Scarbs take on the new F138 FW:

The front wing is the most interesting part. The cascade winglet mounted to the wing's endplate has completely changed. Rather than being a horizontal wing, the element is now curved such that it meets the wing in an 'r' shape.

The revised cascade wing will probably create downforce, but the change is more likely to be about modifying the way the winglet bends the airflow around the outside of the front tyre. The new outer vertical section of the winglet will be quite effective at turning the airflow.

Link

He also says he's told the pelican noses actually do add downforce even if their design is counterintuitive at first sight, as it appears they would add lift not downforce.
I agree with scarbs about the new cascades and i definitely agree with him on the pelican noses! I've been saying this for a while now. I have also found an added advantage with the kind of pelican noses lotus and red-bull are running and to the one sauber tested, although theirs is much more extreme. it gets more air under the nose to the rear of the car. I'm not really sure if the kind of pelican nose ferrari brought will still have this effect.

Blackout

It's a venturi effect, isnt it ?
They also kept the converging FW/nose supports but their angle looks less extreme to me:
stefan_ wrote:Canda 2013 - Friday (07.06.2013)
Before
Maybe it's just view angle...

bar555
bar555

in Ferrari case the pelican shape ( i prefer to call it slant instead of Pelican though) seems to have a more direct effect than the rounded corresponded noses of Lotus and Sauber . Just for history, Renault first adopted a slant nose in 2009
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

Forza

Tobias Grüner wrote:The bulge under the @InsideFerrari nose is just attached. So no extra crash test needed. See the little gap

amouzouris

bar555 wrote:in Ferrari case the pelican shape ( i prefer to call it slant instead of Pelican though) seems to have a more direct effect than the rounded corresponded noses of Lotus and Sauber . Just for history, Renault first adopted a slant nose in 2009
I think there has been a benetton in the 90s with a similar nose...let me find it

Edit:
it was the B193. It is not a pelican nose. the front of the nose is similar but as you said the pelican noses as we see them today were first used by Renault in 09

Blackout

Last edited by Blackout on 08 Jun 2013, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

Forza

Canada GP - Saturday - 8/6/13

stefan_
stefan_

Testing for 2014?
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

stefan_
stefan_

Canada 2013 - Saturday (08.06.2013)

Click the picture for hign rezolution

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Pierce89

I was out of town today. Did Ferrari run the new sidepods in quali?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Huntresa
Huntresa

Pierce89 wrote:I was out of town today. Did Ferrari run the new sidepods in quali?
I think Alonso ran all the new updates.

armyk
armyk

I guess both used short sidepots = old, right?

henra
henra

bar555 wrote:in Ferrari case the pelican shape ( i prefer to call it slant instead of Pelican though) seems to have a more direct effect than the rounded corresponded noses of Lotus and Sauber .
I'm not sure the Ferrari version is aimed at exactly doing the same as the 'Pelican' ones.
This here represents effectively an 'Air dam'. The increased pressure in front of the relatively blunt slant will force more air over the nose. So besides the (more pronounced) low pressure effect directly behind the horizontal mid part of the FW it seems they try to alter the whole airflow around the nose to some extent with this solution. (Towards more front DF and more air over the car instead of around it).
Is Canada considered a front limited circuit?
Or are they experiencing first signs of 'choking' of the rear undercut underneath the exhaust bulges)?

Cuky

armyk wrote:I guess both used short sidepots = old, right?
Fernando used new sidepods together with "bridge" at front. Onboard shot from Q2 if I am not mistaken