Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: Ferrari F138

Interesting how he holds his left hand on the wheel

Alonso Fan

yep, alonso ran with new sidepods and bridges, and new fw

massa ran with new fw but no bridges on the sidepods

i'm not sure if they were the new sidepods without the bridges or the old sidepods, because he crashed

EDIT: i confirm that massa ran with the old sidepods and new fw
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 09 Jun 2013, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Godius

Comparison shot of both cars in qualifying:

Lca1443
Lca1443

Godius wrote:Comparison shot of both cars in qualifying:

http://i44.tinypic.com/30uefc0.jpg
Great shot. Did they not have 2 sets of the new exhaust (was there ever a point where they were both running it?) Or did Massa not like the feel? I assume they just had one set, but they've been testing that for a while now, you'd think they could have had two sets fabbed by now.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Lca1443 wrote:
Godius wrote:Comparison shot of both cars in qualifying:

http://i44.tinypic.com/30uefc0.jpg
Great shot. Did they not have 2 sets of the new exhaust (was there ever a point where they were both running it?) Or did Massa not like the feel? I assume they just had one set, but they've been testing that for a while now, you'd think they could have had two sets fabbed by now.
Maybe didnt have time to make and send it, they did however have new pillars on everything for the FW, both old and new with new pillars.

Vanja #66

They both had it in Spain, so why not here... I think I even remember seeing both of them running new exhaust version, but Alonso had old FW at that moment... I think it's just the case of Massa liking the older version better. Remember China 2012, Webber had new exhaust, but Seb kept the old one, he believed it provided him with better stability, but a race or two after (I don't think it was Bahrain, where he won, but in Spain), he said that he was wrong.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

diffuser

Vanja #66 wrote:They both had it in Spain, so why not here... I think I even remember seeing both of them running new exhaust version, but Alonso had old FW at that moment... I think it's just the case of Massa liking the older version better. Remember China 2012, Webber had new exhaust, but Seb kept the old one, he believed it provided him with better stability, but a race or two after (I don't think it was Bahrain, where he won, but in Spain), he said that he was wrong.

Maybe they're not a new exhaust configuration but rather a older exhaust configuration that Alonzo's using cause it creates less downforce ?

Alonso Fan

diffuser wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:They both had it in Spain, so why not here... I think I even remember seeing both of them running new exhaust version, but Alonso had old FW at that moment... I think it's just the case of Massa liking the older version better. Remember China 2012, Webber had new exhaust, but Seb kept the old one, he believed it provided him with better stability, but a race or two after (I don't think it was Bahrain, where he won, but in Spain), he said that he was wrong.

Maybe they're not a new exhaust configuration but rather a older exhaust configuration that Alonzo's using cause it creates less downforce ?
possibly, although i'm sure they look like the new ones

btw, no offence, but it's Alonso
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

f300v10
f300v10

If you look very closely at this image, you can see faint but visible vortices being shed off the front wing, and over the top of the front tires. Atmospheric conditions must have been just right as I have never before seen visible front wing vortices in 30 years of watching F1. The image is VERY large, view the image directly for the best view.

stefan_
stefan_

"The bridge" on Alonso's car.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

bar555
bar555

f300v10 wrote:If you look very closely at this image, you can see faint but visible vortices being shed off the front wing, and over the top of the front tires. Atmospheric conditions must have been just right as I have never before seen visible front wing vortices in 30 years of watching F1. The image is VERY large, view the image directly for the best view.

http://www.formulaf1.es/wp-content/uplo ... 1-2013.jpg
I really doubt if they truly are front wing vortexes . The photo is not at right angle to be sure of that though . It is of higher possibility to be humidity escaping from the tyre compound itself . It is more obvious when the car isn't in motion and the tyre is still hot after a few laps on track .
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

bar555
bar555

Thanks , not it is more obvious that your hypothesis stands correct
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

F1.Ru

Ferrari F138 - new front wing
ImageImage

Ferrari not only introduced a new nose with different, straighter wing pillars in Canada, they also debuted a completely new front wing. The cascade flap is no longer straight and linked to the endplate, but instead rounded in shape (similar to a previous McLaren design) in order to give more space to the airflow going to the outside of the profiles, where there are several slots similar to those on the Red Bull front wing.

© Formula1.com
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

F1.Ru

bar555 wrote:Thanks , not it is more obvious that your hypothesis stands correct
Maybe you are right but nonetheless there you can actually see how the F/W is shaping the airflow over the wheel. Anyone can tell from that pic that, Ferrari's F/W is moving the air not only over the wheel but it is shaping in such that it is no longer creating huge amount drag.

So vortices or not it is indeed doing what it is intended for and playing a vital role i believe :D
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me