2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
timbo
timbo

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

The exhaust manifold seem to spread out more than on V8. Can anybody put them to scale to compare?

Blackout

Do you know how that ''air box'' we see in every Renault V6 pic released until now works ? why the air is not directly routed to the compressor like the exhauts are directly routed from* the turbine ? How does that disc-shaped 'air-box' works ? is there other sport cars which use the same solution ? I dont think the AUdi leMans, for example, use that solution.

Dont't forget that every team will use its own exhasut manifold design so their look should differ from the one we saw today.
Last edited by Blackout on 21 Jun 2013, 15:44, edited 2 times in total.

astracrazy
astracrazy

god that engine sounds crap

Holm86

I think the engine sounds fine. Find a video of the V8 in a test bench where it is not pushed and it doesn't sound that good either.

wuzak
wuzak

type056 wrote:Thanks.But it is not seem MGU-H energy come from heat.
The turbine converts heat energy into power.

The temperature on the engine side of the turbine is much higher than the temperature on the exhaust side.

wuzak
wuzak

Blackout wrote:Do you know how that ''air box'' we see in every Renault V6 pic released until now works ? why the air is not directly routed to the compressor like the exhauts are directly routed from* the turbine ? How does that disc-shaped 'air-box' works ? is there other sport cars which use the same solution ? I dont think the AUdi leMans, for example, use that solution.
Maybe the airbox has some sort of resonance system which increases the ram air effect at certain speeds?

Or it could be just an example of what an intake would look like.

Don't forget that the Audi Lemans engine is a 3.7l turbo Diesel.
Blackout wrote:Dont't forget that every team will use its own exhasut manifold design so their look should differ from the one we saw today.
Doubtful that teams will play too much with the manifolds, since they have a large influence on how well the turbo works.

I'm sure that teams will adopt different solutions to the intercooler arrangment.

Juzh

Can someone explain this to me: 160bhp from the ers unit will be released with a push of a button like KERS currently or by some other method?

Huntresa
Huntresa

Juzh wrote:Can someone explain this to me: 160bhp from the ers unit will be released with a push of a button like KERS currently or by some other method?
Same method and over a longer time, but someone needs to explain to me the MGU-H if that was the one getting power from heat, what is it doing ? Is it helping the Turbo or there to gather the remains and use them in a way thats useful, this case for the ERS?

Holm86

Huntresa wrote:
Juzh wrote:Can someone explain this to me: 160bhp from the ers unit will be released with a push of a button like KERS currently or by some other method?
Same method and over a longer time, but someone needs to explain to me the MGU-H if that was the one getting power from heat, what is it doing ? Is it helping the Turbo or there to gather the remains and use them in a way thats useful, this case for the ERS?
There is a MGU-H mounted on the turbine shaft. Instead of using wastegates to control the boost the generator will brake the turbine shaft by using it to create electricity. This electricity is stored in the batteries or capacitors and used by the MGU-H to speed up the turbine shaft to reduce turbo lag.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

type056 wrote: Thanks.But it is not seem MGU-H energy come from heat.
Correct
the turbine is driven by exhaust gas pressure, which is strongly related to velocity, but weakly related to temperature
unfortunately most of the pressure at the opening of the exhaust valve is dissipated, so is unavailable to the turbine
the turbine will be using the natural pressure pulses in the exhaust
it will recover in this way a useful amount of free power with little reduction in power from the pistons

most exhaust heat cannot ever be accessed by a tubine in the exhaust gas
that's why BMW have developed their TurboSteamer, using exhaust and coolant heat to make steam (ie at pressure)
to turn a steam turbine connected to the crankshaft
adding about 15% to the engine power for the same fuel consumption

Blackout

wuzak wrote:
Blackout wrote:Do you know how that ''air box'' we see in every Renault V6 pic released until now works ? why the air is not directly routed to the compressor like the exhauts are directly routed from* the turbine ? How does that disc-shaped 'air-box' works ? is there other sport cars which use the same solution ? I dont think the AUdi leMans, for example, use that solution.
Maybe the airbox has some sort of resonance system which increases the ram air effect at certain speeds?

Or it could be just an example of what an intake would look like.

Don't forget that the Audi Lemans engine is a 3.7l turbo Diesel.
Blackout wrote:Dont't forget that every team will use its own exhasut manifold design so their look should differ from the one we saw today.
Doubtful that teams will play too much with the manifolds, since they have a large influence on how well the turbo works.

I'm sure that teams will adopt different solutions to the intercooler arrangment.
Thanks.
‘‘From that stage, one of the key areas we needed to investigate was the packaging of the Power Unit. The current V8 is 95kg, 100kg if you add the weight of the MGU. This increases to 120kg when you include the ancillary parts, such as the radiators and other cooling devices. With the 2014 Power Unit, the V6 turbocharged engine will be a minimum of 145kg, plus 35kg for the battery. At 180kg, this is a 80% increase over the current units, plus a further 20kg for the ancillaries such as the intercooler and other radiators.’’

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Huntresa wrote: Same method and over a longer time, but someone needs to explain to me the MGU-H if that was the one getting power from heat, what is it doing ? Is it helping the Turbo or there to gather the remains and use them in a way thats useful, this case for the ERS?
both, at different times
exiting slow corners the turbo shaft would be turning rather slowly, but will be motored up to the rpm ideal for turbocharging
when the engine has reached full power and rpm the MGU-H will be operated to load the turbine and generate electricity
this can be fed immediately to the MGU-K to drive as a motor helping to propel the car, or it can be stored
remember that the fuel supply rate does not increase when the engine exceeds 10500 rpm

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

wuzak wrote:
type056 wrote:Thanks.But it is not seem MGU-H energy come from heat.
The turbine converts heat energy into power.
The temperature on the engine side of the turbine is much higher than the temperature on the exhaust side.
interestingly ?
the exhaust temperature downstream of the turbine on the Wright 'Turbo-Compound' is (2700F ??) visibly close to white heat
and definitely hotter than on the otherwise identical Wright engine without exhaust power recovery

scarbs
scarbs

All ERS boost will be demanded from the throttle pedal, the electronics will work out what mix of petrol and stored energy will be used. There will be no steering wheel KERS boost button.

Juzh

scarbs wrote:
All ERS boost will be demanded from the throttle pedal, the electronics will work out what mix of petrol and stored energy will be used. There will be no steering wheel KERS boost button.
So the ECU will know via lets say GPS where on track the car is and will apply ERS power accordingly? Or is it purely throttle related? How about tracks where full throthle is less than 35s, like monaco?