Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
enz0
enz0

Re: Ferrari F138

I can sense something's going on with the rear end of the pods, tapered perhaps?

stefan_
stefan_

Great Britain 2013 - Thursday (27.06.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

Completely different brake disks then Canada. Less, bigger holes. Red Bull made the same switch.

Also, this is the Barcelona disk:

Again different hole pattern, while Barcelona is a track similar to Silverstone. What is the difference? Heat injection in the tyres? Or different temperatures -> different cooling requirements?
#AeroFrodo

aleks_ader

turbof1 wrote:Completely different brake disks then Canada. Less, bigger holes. Red Bull made the same switch.

Also, this is the Barcelona disk:
[url]https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/9/ferrar4.jpg[url]

Again different hole pattern, while Barcelona is a track similar to Silverstone. What is the difference? Heat injection in the tyres? Or different temperatures -> different cooling requirements?
The climate and "nature" of layup of Silverstone circuit are very differed from 1st Europe Gp. The silverstone circuit is a more "open" and also a bit faster than Catalunya. And of course main difference is the climate or otherwise weather which is usually cooler etc.

EDIT1: For further information check webside F1fanatics...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

stefan_
stefan_

Great Britain 2013 - Thursday (27.06.2013)

Last edited by stefan_ on 27 Jun 2013, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

thanks again for the great pics Stefan. +1 again.

is anybody else wondering if those strakes below the front wing are deliberately cantilevered so that they can both flex laterally under air load AND allow the adjacent main elements to also flex in relation to each other? the structure would certainly be stiffer if they tied the main planes together with the strakes.

hollus

I was thinking cantilever the second I saw them! But I can't imagine what for. They are aligned with the wing rather than with the flow, so at speed they'll align with the flow somewhat. So maybe redirecting the air at low speed but not at high speed? But if they were to act like that, I would expect them to be bigger, more like sails...
Also, the external strakes seem to follow the tarmac, while the central one, stays closer to the wing's surface, seems to have two different versions. Interesting.
Rivals, not enemies.

stefan_
stefan_

They added a vertical slot in the RW endplates.

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

hollus wrote:I was thinking cantilever the second I saw them! But I can't imagine what for. ..... Interesting.
h,

i initially swagged that they would flex under a yawing air flow, perhaps moving some vortices/flow in relation to the turned tire. but, man, that's a total swag.

alternatively, it could be that they are attached just to one element to make the various element adjustments/changes easier.
Last edited by flyboy2160 on 27 Jun 2013, 21:01, edited 2 times in total.

wesley123
wesley123

stefan_ wrote:They added a vertical slot in the RW endplates.

http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 698535.jpg
Also the cutout is different
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

radosav
radosav

is this a new floor?
https://twitter.com/f1writers/media/grid
sorry i can't download photo

Cuky

seems it has quite a large cut out

aleks_ader

Cuky wrote:seems it has quite a large cut out
[url]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNwIBoiCMAA ... :large[url]
must be foto-montage... Thats is 100% ilegal! And even more thingd are not right etc. FAKE!

EDIT_1: Under much better inspection i must conclued there just missing a the floor leading edge heat resisted carbon plate...

Despite my misjudgment or lack of concentration (late hours) i apologize for confusion...

Yeah now i could very clearly see screw positions, although the tire sensor on first look doest seems to be so far from the tire... :wink:
Last edited by aleks_ader on 28 Jun 2013, 10:57, edited 2 times in total.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

beelsebob
beelsebob

aleksandergreat wrote:
must be foto-montage... Thats is 100% ilegal! And even more thingd are not right etc. FAKE!
Sorry, what part is not legal, and which rule bans it?

Cuky

aleksandergreat wrote:

I don't think that anything in regulations makes this illegal. And only thing that might be wrong on this pic is around cockpit. But that is because this is pit-stop practice and they don't have to mount head protection for that