Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Ferrari F138

Doesnt seem illegal to me
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

MP4-24 had a large cut out for a while.

But in any case I'mm fairly sure it just hasn't been fully assembled, many teams have detachable parts there for easy repair and even upgrades. You can see the bolts holding it in this shot. http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 8-0690.jpg
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

muelte
muelte

Yeah, even the Hublot logo is missing...

KennyBama

So the FW doesn't have the curved downward templates. The new exhaust is here to stay.

aleks_ader

KennyBama wrote:So the FW doesn't have the curved downward templates. The new exhaust is here to stay.
I suspect for race and qualy the will not using it. Because Silverstone is high downforce circuit, and the "R" cascade FW is quite low dowforce config witch also easily shades drag.

I think that the best chance to see those wing is today in free practices...

If Ferrari don't test it that could mean different things:
  • -they collect enough data, throw Canada race and they are clearly satisfied with performance which they expected from Cologne windtunel, CFD correlations and simulations. That will clearly AGAIN show that corellation "baby sickness" past Ferrari camp...
    -we will wait maybe they will not have enough time to test, because due bad weather it would be almost impossible check all others potential upgrades
    -or they forgoted it on the airport in Montreal :lol:
Especially now due possible bad wether throw almost all race weekend more downforce make much more sense...

EDIT1: The most puzzling thing about Ferrari is longer exhaust. I think that they are not quite convinced if exhaust really make a difference in terms of make better qually laptimes and at the same time perserve the great race pace. I think Ferrari is quite (according Stefano interviews) afraid to broke the balance between race&Qually. That must be very hard to do it, last 2 yrs designers goal in the aproach in car design drastically changes. Now the aim is: How to make more efficient aero => low downforce/drag ratio. How provide good Q lap times and preserve the ideal tire temperature in working range and current conditions on the track in the race. How make overall good car for all conditions etc.

It seems that it works for low/high dowforce circuit configuration with lees long sweeping corners. Better seal of diffuzor, and maybe even more reducing drag, due better managing of tire skirt and difuzor vortices. They brought 2 versions here so i assume that they are still don't sure of overall effect on the car pace in dry or wet...
  • -Maybe they just don't trust the driving simulation? So in that matter is right to try calibrate driving simulator witch is probably not up to date (must check that) like for exaple in Red Bull where they really make some "miracles" changes over night (for example in Monaco).
    -On another hand maybe they just have 2 version for just more flexibility during weekend for better reaction on the track condition changes.This option is a most possible option.
Last edited by aleks_ader on 28 Jun 2013, 16:48, edited 2 times in total.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

stefan_
stefan_

Great Britain 2013 - Friday (28.06.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

KennyBama

aleksandergreat wrote:
KennyBama wrote:So the FW doesn't have the curved downward templates. The new exhaust is here to stay.
I suspect for race and qualy the will not using it. Because Silverstone is high downforce circuit, and the "R" cascade FW is quite low dowforce config witch also easily shades drag.

I think that the best chance to see those wing is today in free practices...

If Ferrari don't test it that could mean different things:
  • -they collect enough data, throw Canada race and they are clearly satisfied with performance which they expected from Cologne windtunel, CFD correlations and simulations. That will clearly AGAIN show that corellation "baby sickness" past Ferrari camp...
    -we will wait maybe they will not have enough time to test, because due bad weather it would be almost impossible check all others potential upgrades
    -or they forgoted it on the airport in Montreal :lol:
Especially now due possible bad wether throw almost all race weekend more downforce make much more sense...

EDIT1: The most puzzling thing about Ferrari is longer exhaust. I think that they are not quite convinced if exhaust really make a difference in terms of make better qually laptimes and at the same time perserve the great race pace. I think Ferrari is quite (according Stefano interviews) afraid to broke the balance between race&Qually. That must be very hard to do it, last 2 yrs designers goal in the aproach in car design drastically changes. Now the aim is: How to make more efficient aero => low downforce/drag ratio. How provide good Q lap times and preserve the ideal tire temperature in working range and current conditions on the track in the race. How make overall good car for all conditions etc.

It seems that it works for low/high dowforce circuit configuration with lees long sweeping corners. Better seal of diffuzor, and maybe even more reducing drag, due better managing of tire skirt and difuzor vortices. They brought 2 versions here so i assume that they are still don't sure of overall effect on the car pace in dry or wet...
  • -Maybe the are just dont trust the driving simulation so in that matter is right to try calibrate driving simulator witch is probably not up to date (must check that) like for exaple in Red Bull where they really make some "miracles" changes over night (for example in Monaco).
    -On another hand maybe they just have 2 version for just more flexibility during weekend for better reaction on the track condition changes.This option is a most possible option.
I appreciate your insight. Also thanks for not cutting me wide open. I've only been watching F1 since 1999. I'm new to the terminology. Cheers!

stefan_
stefan_

Great Britain 2013 - Friday (28.06.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

majki2111

Martin Brundle says that F138 has bad balance in Becketts.

aleks_ader

majki2111 wrote:Martin Brundle says that F138 has bad balance in Becketts.
Maybe due track temperatures, remember Barcelona 1st&2nd sector.

Maybe Ferrari is slightly off the downforce windows on current conditions...

Track temperatures made crucial difference in car performance doesn't matter or is long or short stint performance. Just wait for F1inteligent analysis to look at and than we could more accurately evaluate current pace.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

majki2111

aleksandergreat wrote:
majki2111 wrote:Martin Brundle says that F138 has bad balance in Becketts.
Maybe due track temperatures, remember Barcelona 1st&2nd sector.

Maybe Ferrari is slightly off the downforce windows on current conditions...

Track temperatures made crucial difference in car performance doesn't matter or is long or short stint performance. Just wait for F1inteligent analysis to look at and than we could more accurately evaluate current pace.
Agree.

froggy
froggy

stefan_ wrote:Great Britain 2013 - Friday (28.06.2013)

https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/856/n402.jpg
New beam wing??

eslam1986
eslam1986

froggy wrote:
stefan_ wrote:Great Britain 2013 - Friday (28.06.2013)

https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/856/n402.jpg
New beam wing??
yes new beam wing tested today :
new one :
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 2507_n.jpg
old one from canada :
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6917_n.jpg

stefan_
stefan_

majki2111

Why did they removed new nose from Canada and I saw only the old wing without r- shaped endplate.