Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
KennyBama

Re: Ferrari F138

I really see everyone doing 3 stops. If it can get up to 73 degrees if could be a great day for SF. Also if HAM can hold off the Bulls. Will someone verify with a picture that SF returned to the old exhaust layout? It appears they have thrown away most of the upgrades. I was fond of the wrap around the side pod which ALO ran in Canada.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

KennyBama wrote:. Will someone verify with a picture that SF returned to the old exhaust layout? It appears they have thrown away most of the upgrades. I was fond of the wrap around the side pod which ALO ran in Canada.
Yes both cars have reverted back to Barcelona spec exhaust

ALO in Quali

MAS in Quali

f1316
f1316

Visually, the only difference since Barcelona seems to be the front wing pylons.

Fede90
Fede90

Hello to everyone, Mi name is Federico, i'm from Italy :D
i'm new in this forum but i often follow this website. I must to apologize for my english, is not good but i'm improving it :wink:

About F138, it seems Ferrari has returned at old configuration about exhaust position, i think.

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

Hi everyone. both driver tested the new and old confinguration of the exaust if I am not wrong. I've tried to make a comparison. Maybe they chose the short configuration in order to do not overheat their tyre, it is possible?

diffuser

Yep, Ferrari's upgrades at Silverstone didn't work and RBR upgrades did. Result, Ferrari reverted to Spain Config and now RBR are faster in Quali and Race.

RBR also have the edge in tire management in that they are able to get the tires to work in a larger temperature window, including the rain.

In recent history, RBR have shown that they can get more performance from their in season upgrades in the last half of the year than Ferrari.

The odds are against them. They aren't far off where they need to be but my fear is the gap will continue to grow between Ferrari and RBR as Ferrari fumble around to trying to figure out what went wrong with these and future upgrades.

diffuser

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
KennyBama wrote:. Will someone verify with a picture that SF returned to the old exhaust layout? It appears they have thrown away most of the upgrades. I was fond of the wrap around the side pod which ALO ran in Canada.
Yes both cars have reverted back to Barcelona spec exhaust

ALO in Quali

http://www.f1-direct.net/2013/img/allemagne/070.jpg

MAS in Quali
http://www.f1-direct.net/2013/img/allemagne/064.jpg

I see now what Alonso meant at Silverstone by parts that didn't work.

Anyone else find Ferrari less forth coming this year in not telling us when upgrades are planned? We basically have to Wait for FP1 ?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

The F138 still lacks pace in the race & especially in Quali. We heard last week updates haven't been working. Looks like that may change

"The team is doing its utmost to make the car more competitive and after tackling a few races without being too sure about our updates, today we can claim to have cleared up many of our doubts and to have understood which are the areas we must concentrate on to move the development forward. When we arrived here on Thursday, the Silverstone test did not seem that important, because the race drivers were only meant to be testing the tyres, but having heard what the FIA had to say, it’s been confirmed that we can test updates and this makes it a much more sensible proposition. If I get the call from the team, I’m ready to go”.

timbo
timbo

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:The F138 still lacks pace in the race & especially in Quali. We heard last week updates haven't been working. Looks like that may change

"The team is doing its utmost to make the car more competitive and after tackling a few races without being too sure about our updates, today we can claim to have cleared up many of our doubts and to have understood which are the areas we must concentrate on to move the development forward. When we arrived here on Thursday, the Silverstone test did not seem that important, because the race drivers were only meant to be testing the tyres, but having heard what the FIA had to say, it’s been confirmed that we can test updates and this makes it a much more sensible proposition. If I get the call from the team, I’m ready to go”.
I hope it works for them. Last few races were not very productive update-wise, but it probably can be attributed at which races they were -- Monaco and Canada are not really representative to most other tracks, and the practices in Britain were compromised.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:The F138 still lacks pace in the race & especially in Quali. We heard last week updates haven't been working. Looks like that may change

When is the windtunnel excuse gonna be used this year ? In September or October ?

shelly
shelly

I think that one issue for ferrari at the moment is the stallingof the diffuser at low ride heights.
This could be related to the new shape of the sidewall - contact patch of the tyres; I think maybe in Silverstone ferrari also said officially that they were struggling with stall.

The gray fillets in this picture are in may opinion a quick fix to improve the stalling behaviour of the diffuser:
but probably yet not perfect, In my opinion it was a diffuser stalll the cause of massa's spin today, just like it happened to him in baherein 2006 in the first laps.
twitter: @armchair_aero

diffuser

shelly wrote:I think that one issue for ferrari at the moment is the stallingof the diffuser at low ride heights.
This could be related to the new shape of the sidewall - contact patch of the tyres; I think maybe in Silverstone ferrari also said officially that they were struggling with stall.

The gray fillets in this picture are in may opinion a quick fix to improve the stalling behaviour of the diffuser:
https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/12/fwl0.png
but probably yet not perfect, In my opinion it was a diffuser stalll the cause of massa's spin today, just like it happened to him in baherein 2006 in the first laps.

Really, where did you read that ? I'm struggling to get any kind of good info from Ferrari.

diffuser

You know Xtreme, I hate to sound like a pessimist but this is starting to sound like last fall when they needed an upgrade and they just kept recycling old parts and I said that I thought that they had run out of budget. You thought that last years car had just reached it's limit (Tom-aye-toe tom-ah-toe if you ask me). I hope I'm wrong.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

diffuser wrote:

Really, where did you read that ? I'm struggling to get any kind of good info from Ferrari.
Alonso said Ferrari's initial findings suggested there were specific problems from Silverstone that could be addressed.

"We went into a very deep analysis of Silverstone, knowing that we were not competitive, and we saw some issues with the car in terms of aero characteristics at Silverstone, in terms of set-up to do some things a bit better at a certain speed in corners," he said.

Link

"at a certain speed" suggests he's speaking of stall, especially after seeing pictures of the diffuser modifications.

ringo

You can't draw such a conclusion.
I doubt the diffusers ever completely stall on a car that is still able to stay within the track.
I doubt that's the issue. More than likely it's a transient response from the car aerodynamically.
For Sure!!