McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Re: McLaren MP4-28 Mercedes

trinidefender wrote:Well 6th and 8th sounds better than usual this season. The car also looked a lot more on the pace that previous races. Any changes on the car between the British Grand Prix and the German prix?
The only thing that is different is tyres, and they have leap frogged force india.
The 2012 structure will be in full force for Budapest, we will see what that brings.

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Racer X

No I have no facts it was just something crazy that ha been bothering me I'm sorry if I have bothered anyone like I said it was just something that maid me think. Something that had been bugging me.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

trinidefender
trinidefender

So now my question is, if nothing changed between the UK and Germany then how were they so much faster compared to the rest of the field in Germany?

Holm86

trinidefender wrote:So now my question is, if nothing changed between the UK and Germany then how were they so much faster compared to the rest of the field in Germany?
Tires changed. Or to be more precise rear tires changed.

But i don't believe that tires was the cause of their speed.

smr
smr

So where did the pace come from ? The car looked much more decent in race trim this weekend.

scotty86

I personally think the track surface in regard to bumps (or lack thereof) had something to do with it.

CBeck113
CBeck113

I agree with you scotty - the Nürburgring track is very smooth, making the aero setup underneath the car easier. And, if I recall correctly, the curbs which are used are only in the slow corners (i.e. the chicane, turns 1&2).
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

smr
smr

And Sergio running 6th in Race at Silverstone? Is that a smooth track also?

scotty86

Supposedly a bit bumpier at Silverstone, especially in sector two. You could argue that their running so highly in GB was aided by misfortune for other drivers at that point during the race (yes, i know Perez had the blowout but you know what i mean), in other words the pure pace wasn't there like it was in Germany relative to the teams they are normally fighting. The McLaren is generally accepted to work a bit better on smooth circuits either way.

Not that i'm writing off the effect of the tyre change. One of several contributing factors that will have combined together and added up, much like we normally get in F1 - i just think the track surface will have had a noteworthy effect. After all, we can only speculate without actually seeing data for ourselves...

Javert

http://www.blogf1.it/2013/07/10/la-mcla ... la-mp4-28/

According to Whitmarsh the development of MP4-28 has now been interrupted
All resources will be given to 2014 car

He says also MP4-28 has now more speed than end-of-year MP4-27 had so no-sense to run it
They have more speed but they are also 6 months back in development in comparison to other teams

Good evening, MP4-28

gary123

akshat21
akshat21

gary123 wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108704
here it is in english ;)
RIP MP4-28

onewingedangel
onewingedangel

It wouldn't surprise if despite having written off the season and the normal development process, trying some riskier r+d paths and testing them in real life may bring more performance not only next season, but this season as well - in addition to ensuring they don't persue a development route based on flawed data over the off-season like they did this year.

Of course, this path could be valuable to next year even if it just shows what doesn't work.

Holm86

It seems a bit odd to me to write off the MP4-28 right before the Silverstone test. Surely this would be the perfect time to test a lot of new components trying to get some speed out of it. They have talked about the MP4-29 being an evolution of the 28 before. So the more speed they can get out of the 28 the more they will get from the 29.

I don't think the MP4-28 is completely written off. I'm sure we will se more updates.