Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
radosav
radosav

Re: Ferrari F138

SatchelCharge wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Just out of interrest, why would you push on an in-lap? I am no engineer or anything, but that just seems like the stupidest thing you can do.
I didn't watch the video so I won't comment on whether or not he was pushing. However, if your team wants you to set a fast S1 or S2 time and then come into the pits, you are very much "pushing" on an "in-lap," at the request of your engineer, and I don't see what is stupid or confusing about that.
+1 , many times drivers do up to 12 in lap - out lap laps. they use it for something.

sucof

diffuser wrote:
tpe wrote:So, besides the low downforce RW, did you spot ANY other difference? And I am not talking about the brakes. From the pictures I saw, I could not understand if they bring to Spa any update or not.

I checked the diffuser, it's the same as they ran in hungry.
The rear beam wing looks different, it arches like a bird flapping downwards (the bird being in the middle with wings on either side).

The DRS actuator has changed as well. I think they've reverted to the electronic actuator they ran way back from the Hydrolic that failed on them earlier this year.

the front wing is different, it looks similar to what they ran in Silverstone but trimmed down. They have a new slot in it as well in the middle (like a sheet raised from a bed).

I haven't seen any pictures of the exhaust or side of the car to tell.
Sorry, not hungry but Hungary.
Also Every team changed the actuator since the special Spa rear wing is smaller so they need to have a different housing for it.

Alonso Fan

is the front wing new?

i've not seen the r wings before
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Hail22

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wow I love how the F138 is showing vortices of air flow...look at the bottom photo...I don't know about you...but to me that speaks beauty (the way how disturbed air reacts).
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Froggolo
Froggolo

beside the vortex generated by the rear wing,
where is located the swirl what is visible in front of the left rear tire?
is it produced by the exhaust gas flow?
or is it just perspective effect and is some vortex what is forming more forward?
Relax, man. Have an elliptical drink or something® ( bhallg2k )

wesley123
wesley123

just wing tip vortices, nothing special. The angle of the picutre gave the suggestion that they were coming from somehwere else. You can see the exact same happening on the right of the image
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

wesley123
wesley123

Alonso Fan wrote:is the front wing new?

what r-wings?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

The only real new thing I see so far on the F138 is in the barge board area. Fernando has straight 90° edges whereas Felipe's is not. Quite minor and not just an illusion, I will link to more images which show it's a different shape all while I scratch my head at the supposed Ferrari updates... :roll:

ALO (old)

MAS (new)

More image links for validity

Link 1
Link 2

stefan_
stefan_

Belgium 2013 - Friday (23.08.2013)

via AMuS
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Alonso Fan

wesley123 wrote:

what r-wings?
ok maybe they're not running them here

SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

WillerZ

radosav wrote:
SatchelCharge wrote:
wesley123 wrote:Just out of interrest, why would you push on an in-lap? I am no engineer or anything, but that just seems like the stupidest thing you can do.
I didn't watch the video so I won't comment on whether or not he was pushing. However, if your team wants you to set a fast S1 or S2 time and then come into the pits, you are very much "pushing" on an "in-lap," at the request of your engineer, and I don't see what is stupid or confusing about that.
+1 , many times drivers do up to 12 in lap - out lap laps. they use it for something.
They add up the sector times (usually S3 from the out lap and S1 S2 from the in lap) to calculate an overall lap time; it's annoying for the fans but it lets the team get an indicative lap time for several setups in 1/3 less time than if they did out-timed-in.

Back in the early '00s you would see Schumi do this in FP3 even for his practice quali laps. It certainly made it hard for us at home to work out the pecking order before qualifying. Presumably they don't do this any more because the extra sector of load on the tyres makes a bigger difference nowadays.

shelly
shelly

In this picture posted above we have a clear view of the vortex formed by the rhs front turning vane, and the tail othe voretx form the lhs ftv_bargeboard in front of the left rear wheel
twitter: @armchair_aero

turbof1

Awesome picture! That's a gem; the size, direction and position of the vortices are very clear.

Apperently ferrari uses vortices to close off the airflow around the sidepods for protection from outside interference. Perfectly aimed: follows the floor and ends up right inside the wheel.
#AeroFrodo

diffuser

Alonso Fan wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

what r-wings?
ok maybe they're not running them here

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 698727.jpg

This is a picture from SILVERSTONE I grabed. It's NOT SPA!

Alonso Fan

fair enough
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord