Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Ferrari F138

Speed trap just tells you how much speed you carried through Eau Rouge
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:Speed trap just tells you how much speed you carried through Eau Rouge

I'm talking in general about the speed trap and not specifically about SPA. No it isn't, gives you an idea of who will be faster in the straights. In qualifying at most tracks, because cars are prepared for the race and are much lighter in qualifying, the cars are buzzing against the rev limiter when they pass the speed trap. So they can't go faster even if they wanted too and they're in "Parc Ferme" so they can't change much. I'm not saying it an exact science but it gives you an idea. Trust me it works.

diffuser

Alonso Fan wrote:nice info but we are meant to be talking about the Ferrari F138, not redbull, guys

We were, I was just saying that the Ferrari was slower cause they're not getting as much out of their diffuser. The proof of that was that RBR was running much less rear wing. The other gentleman just pointed out that they've been running less wing in other races too (which I hadn't noticed). Going forward this means Ferrari will run their low downforce rear wing at Monza and the car will be faster. They'll likely run the Montreal config. Hopefully they'll have some upgrades to that cause that race didn't go well enough for them. IMO, If they don't start getting more out of the diffuser it will be hard to catch up to RBR and in Singapore we'll be back to what we got in Hungary.

el-Magico
el-Magico

diffuser wrote: Dude! Go to http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/ choose the track, they tell you what the average speed is of a corner. Read analysis of the track before the GP. They explain the track. After qualifying (if you're not using anything else while watching, I use F1LT) go to http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html. It's not an exact thing but it gives you an idea. You can see that Vettel is 3ird at the speed trap, if you look at previous races, he's usually near the bottom.

My reply is at THIS PAGE
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

turbof1

diffuser wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Speed trap just tells you how much speed you carried through Eau Rouge

I'm talking in general about the speed trap and not specifically about SPA. No it isn't, gives you an idea of who will be faster in the straights. In qualifying at most tracks, because cars are prepared for the race and are much lighter in qualifying, the cars are buzzing against the rev limiter when they pass the speed trap. So they can't go faster even if they wanted too and they're in "Parc Ferme" so they can't change much. I'm not saying it an exact science but it gives you an idea. Trust me it works.
No, the speed trap gives an idea about the acceleration of the car, but not about its ultimate top speed. Red Bull for instance had the highest speed at the speed trap, but was ultimately only seventh fastest at the end of the straight. At Spa they definitely don't hit the rev limiter yet when crossing the speed trap. Last year Button was ticking 305km/h at the speed trap, but kept gaining speed until he hit the rev limiter at 321km/h. I do not know why you would bring up the difference in fuel load; it's irrelevant because it's the same for everyone.

Basicilly in current F1 a faster accelerating car means you will hit the rev limiter earlier. For a car like RB9 the speed trap will be more relevant then for instance the F138.
#AeroFrodo

diffuser

My Bad, I misunderstood.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

F138 Spa FW Analysis from GA.

via AutoSport

Alonso Fan

wow, that's an impressive couple of pics!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

One
One

Wow the stream hitting the under side of the rear brake ducks, meaning it can seal the rear diffuser... :shock:

Huntresa
Huntresa

One wrote:Wow the stream hitting the under side of the rear brake ducks, meaning it can seal the rear diffuser... :shock:
YEah under the rear brake duct but no where near the actual brake duct so kinda not.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Ok this is odd. One picture it shows the vortex turning inwards and heading inside the rear wheel just below the rear brake ducts. It looks like this stream is kept above the floor by the coanda exhaust. It seems that the two streams together would be quite efficient at sealing the diffuser. However the next picture tells quite a different tale. It shows the vortex hitting the tire squarely without much being able to be seen after that as it just dissipates. I wonder if this vortex with its inconsistent flow pattern can be attributed to its somewhat slow one lap pace.

Also and more to the point, if the flow keeps changing from inside the tyre to the vortex hitting the tyre to the vortex back inside the tyre then maybe that can be a point of correlation problems in the wind tunnel. Maybe the wind-tunnel model shows them always having the flow duck back inside while in real conditions for some reason, sometimes the flow just goes straight onto the rear tyre.

Are there any more pics that may be able to she'd some light onto this?

tpe
tpe

What I found as "strange" is the fact that I have not seen any other car with those vortices.

meves
meves

The vortex from the top of the roll hoop which flows down onto the rear wing is a very impressive piece of aero work.

sucof

Until we did not see a video of this, we do not know nothing, since these pictures are only a 1/1000th second of truth.
Also I am not sure if a vortex hitting a tire is a bad thing or not, it might be that that produces lower drag.

majki2111

sucof wrote:Until we did not see a video of this, we do not know nothing, since these pictures are only a 1/1000th second of truth.
Also I am not sure if a vortex hitting a tire is a bad thing or not, it might be that that produces lower drag.
I don't think so.