Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Ferrari F138

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

emmepi27
emmepi27

Old diffuser. I was right! I'm sure that they tested it only in FP2 and put on the old version for FP3.
So, the question is: have they brought the new one to test it for next race or specially for Monza? The first, i hope so...

tpe
tpe

emmepi27 wrote: So, the question is: have they brought the new one to test it for next race or specially for Monza? The first, i hope so...
Well, the general idea is a better diffuser for better DF and less drag, so it could ideal for Monza. So, it simply did not generated the results they wanted...

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

emmepi27 wrote:
I'm sure that they tested it only in FP2 and put on the old version for FP3.
No mate, as I said yesterday MAS used new diffuser in FP3. NextGenAuto also has a picture up from yesterday that shows Felipe using the new diffuser. That is two respectable sites that show him using new diffuser. He didn't use new diffuser in the race/Quali so it had to be FP3. There's no way two different sites post a photo from the wrong day.

http://www.nextgen-auto.com/gallery/pic ... ep/336.jpg

stefan_
stefan_

Italy 2013 - Sunday (08.09.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

emmepi27
emmepi27

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
emmepi27 wrote:
I'm sure that they tested it only in FP2 and put on the old version for FP3.
No mate, as I said yesterday MAS used new diffuser in FP3. NextGenAuto also has a picture up from yesterday that shows Felipe using the new diffuser. That is two respectable sites that show him using new diffuser. He didn't use new diffuser in the race/Quali so it had to be FP3. There's no way two different sites post a photo from the wrong day.

http://www.nextgen-auto.com/gallery/pic ... ep/336.jpg
Sorry, but i disagree. The photo is the same:
First: http://www.f1-direct.net/2013/img/italie/056.jpg
Second: http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1966/abhl.jpg
Third: http://www.nextgen-auto.com/gallery/pic ... ep/336.jpg

It show that Felipe was using the "ibrid" rear wing (with drs flap with 2 "V" cutting) that he hasn't used in FP3!!! As Alonso, he has used this rear wing http://i.imgur.com/4Po0Qik.jpg. I'm sure because i was writing this article while i'm watching FP3 live: http://www.blogf1.it/2013/09/07/monza-f ... chi-corti/
And look at this photo (Amus): it's of FP2 (friday - Massa's penality moment): new diffuser, "V" rear wing http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fel ... 716618.jpg
So, it's not possible that your photo is of FP3!!! Everybody can be wrong... respectable sites too :wink:

If i'm wrong and you're right, Massa has used two different rear wing in FP3. And i don't think so :wink:

radosav
radosav

Is there a mad possibility for F 138 to be more competitive at higher downforce tracks! What i mean that Red Bull used their diffuser and floor downforce to help them in Monza because all other teams don't have that level of downforce ! They combined straightline speed with long fast cornes and dominated in Monza! There are less long straights in next races so relationship between straightline speed and downforce level isn't so important! I am just asking as complete amateur , so ignore this question if necessary !

JonR
JonR

http://www.f1technical.net/development/425

Regarding Ferrari's new front wing used in Monza, may I just point out that the flow conditioner where the ad "Ferrari World Abu Dhabi" is located is now more rounded towards the bottom compared to being vertical in Spa.

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

radosav wrote:Is there a mad possibility for F 138 to be more competitive at higher downforce tracks! What i mean that Red Bull used their diffuser and floor downforce to help them in Monza because all other teams don't have that level of downforce ! They combined straightline speed with long fast cornes and dominated in Monza! There are less long straights in next races so relationship between straightline speed and downforce level isn't so important! I am just asking as complete amateur , so ignore this question if necessary !
What we have seen in Monza is that Red Bull has such a car that could adapt to and be quick in any type of track and condition. So I would say that RedBull will be fighting for the win in all other races remaining. What Ferrari needs is an extra ordinary amount of gain from an update which is very unlikely considering what we have gained all season.

diffuser

TheGkbrk wrote:
radosav wrote:Is there a mad possibility for F 138 to be more competitive at higher downforce tracks! What i mean that Red Bull used their diffuser and floor downforce to help them in Monza because all other teams don't have that level of downforce ! They combined straightline speed with long fast cornes and dominated in Monza! There are less long straights in next races so relationship between straightline speed and downforce level isn't so important! I am just asking as complete amateur , so ignore this question if necessary !
What we have seen in Monza is that Red Bull has such a car that could adapt to and be quick in any type of track and condition. So I would say that RedBull will be fighting for the win in all other races remaining. What Ferrari needs is an extra ordinary amount of gain from an update which is very unlikely considering what we have gained all season.
Well I agree with the both of you, with the exception that till now Mercedes seems to have the edge in high down force tracks (Victories in both Hungary and Monaco). They seem to get really good traction out of slow corners. Ferrari have struggled in those conditions. This is history now...into the unknown. They've been testing different diffusers and there seem to be large high down force package upgrade coming for Singapore...so we can hope.

timbo
timbo

Over the last few years I noticed that various upgrade packages rarely change the overall picture unless they include some problem solving. Everybody seem to extract more or less same gains. And it is hard to deduce just from where those gains came from, as teams also make advances in car understanding and setups.
The strong point of F138 early this season was its tyre management, but with tyre changes and setup optimizations other teams made it doesn't make difference.
I hope Ferrari makes some breakthrough performance but I would not count on that...

Kalsi
Kalsi

The MAIN problem Ferrari team has is this one: "Ok season is over let's focus on next year's project" and they redesign completely the car... The strength of redBull's is that their car is always an evolution of the previous year's one...
As FINALLY the F138 to me seems a very good base to start from, i hope next year's car will be an evolution of this one and not a "start from scratch"
Anyway yes... the season is over... unless they finally bring an ENOURMUS upgrade to the F138 that could help Fernando take advantages of eventual Vettel/redBull errors but again, they are almost perfect this season so far so it seems very hard for this to happen (even the big dreamed upgrade by Ferrari)

JDC123
JDC123

Kalsi wrote:The MAIN problem Ferrari team has is this one: "Ok season is over let's focus on next year's project" and they redesign completely the car... The strength of redBull's is that their car is always an evolution of the previous year's one...
As FINALLY the F138 to me seems a very good base to start from, i hope next year's car will be an evolution of this one and not a "start from scratch"
Anyway yes... the season is over... unless they finally bring an ENOURMUS upgrade to the F138 that could help Fernando take advantages of eventual Vettel/redBull errors but again, they are almost perfect this season so far so it seems very hard for this to happen (even the big dreamed upgrade by Ferrari)
have you forget ? next season there is a massive technical rule change meaning the cars will be totally different to what they are now and require a new design from scratch.

krisfx
krisfx

JDC123 wrote:
Kalsi wrote:The MAIN problem Ferrari team has is this one: "Ok season is over let's focus on next year's project" and they redesign completely the car... The strength of redBull's is that their car is always an evolution of the previous year's one...
have you forget ? next season there is a massive technical rule change meaning the cars will be totally different to what they are now and require a new design from scratch.
I think you'll probably find the Red Bull is very similar, obviously the new nose regulations will change the look and the other aero tweaks, but I'd expect continuity from Newey.

diffuser

timbo wrote:Over the last few years I noticed that various upgrade packages rarely change the overall picture unless they include some problem solving. Everybody seem to extract more or less same gains. And it is hard to deduce just from where those gains came from, as teams also make advances in car understanding and setups.
The strong point of F138 early this season was its tyre management, but with tyre changes and setup optimizations other teams made it doesn't make difference.
I hope Ferrari makes some breakthrough performance but I would not count on that...

Yep, there was a problem in Silverstone and Germany that we'll hope they've figured out.