RUSH film 2013

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
WhiteBlue

Re: RUSH film 2013

It all depends on how they do the sets. I have seen some incredible historic movies that re enact the time and you can feel the spirit. It would have been easier to do a story in today's time frame but the excitement is that it was about life and death at that time and those stories have never been told in moving pictures which can mobilise the incredible emotions that must have been involved in it.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

MOWOG

I recommend Lauda's autobiography - To Hell And Back. It is an excellent source for understanding Lauda's side of things more clearly. :idea:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

BlueAngel
BlueAngel

Will this movie be featured in the US?

Samir

MOWOG

Oh, you betcha!

Just out of curiosity, why would it NOT be featured in the US, in your opinion?
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

notsofast
notsofast

The movie is out in several countries. Have any of you seen it? Release dates:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1979320/rel ... _=tt_dt_dt

notsofast
notsofast

Apparently the movie is pretty good. I'll have to try to go see when it comes to my area.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/mo ... itans.html

On a somewhat related note, while the movie is about 1976, the 1977 McLaren MP26 driven by James Hunt is for sale.

http://www.rkmcca.com/car/1977-McLaren-M26/3032#!/

There's a link to hi-res images on the site.

rjsa
rjsa

Good, really good.

maranello55
maranello55

a must watch. one part drove me eyes teary...

always thot of Niki Lauda as an epic hero. Hope this movie will introduce how epic his campaign was to new generation.

MOWOG

Saw it this afternoon. Fantastic photography. Innovative and creative camera work through out. And very true to Nikki Lauda's book.

I don't want to be a spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it, but it is a worthy addition to Ron Howard's body of work as a film maker. I still think Apollo 13 is one of the best movies ever made, but this is an excellent film as well. I give it 4 lug nuts, 3 spanners and a full set of sticker tires. =D>

Enjoy! :-D

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Blimey, I'm surprised by the response here. I thought it was utter drivel.

strad

I actuallypretty much agree with our local reviewer..not totally but certainly about the racing sequences... Like I said before it was an ok movie but not a racing movie.
There’s a truly gripping story at the core of “Rush.” It’s the story of how famed Formula 1 driver Niki Lauda was nearly killed in a horrific crash at the 1976 German Grand Prix that left him with a terribly burned face and damaged lungs. And yet only six weeks later he was back in the cockpit, competing — and winning — again to the amazement of his fellow drivers and the racing world at large.

Such courage. Such willpower. Such are the things that action movies are made of. Too bad the movie that Ron Howard has actually made out of this incredible true-life sequence of events is mostly a lot of noise and nonsense, a garish enterprise that almost — though not quite — trivializes the tale.

That tale is the story of the rivalry between two drivers: Lauda and James Hunt. Howard weights the picture so heavily in Hunt’s favor that Lauda is almost a subsidiary figure.

Played with an easygoing insouciance by Chris Hemsworth (“Thor”), Hunt, a Brit, is a long-haired party animal who has merely to cast his roving eye on any random passing beauty, and — boom! — into his bed (or his shower) that beauty hops.

By contrast, Lauda (played by Daniel Brhl), an Austrian, is a Teutonic caricature: a maximally arrogant, obsessively detail-oriented cold fish whose scorn for his hedonistic rival drips from every icy pore. Though the major focus is on Hemsworth’s Hunt, it’s Brhl whose performance dominates. He’s caustic and compelling compared to Hemsworth’s blond blandness.

They’re alpha and omega, these two, a mutual detestation society, calling each other names, flipping the bird, but at the same time exhibiting a grudging respect for each other’s driving skills. That’s a stark and simplistic dynamic, and Howard’s handling of it is disappointingly simpleminded.

As for the racing sequences: Oh dear. Those seem to have been edited with a Cuisinart. They’re chaotic assemblages of smoking tires, howling exhaust pipes, spinouts, crashes, low-angle shots, helicopter overheads, all coming at you so fast you have little sense of how the races are progressing.

Only Brhl’s standout performance prevents “Rush” from becoming a total wreck.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Absolutelee
Absolutelee

I liked it

strad

you can like it...It was an ok MOVIE,,,just not much of a racing movie and not very accurate.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

I liked it a lot. It wasn't a techie movie, it wasn't a racing car movie, it was a movie about two men competing.

timbo
timbo

I liked it a lot!
Not a racing movie? Disagree. IMO this type of footage is very good decision. It is cinematic (and it should be, what else can you expect) and it is actually shows what actually happens on track very good. Split second decision, vibration, small field of view. The footage is IMHO is as good as racing movie can be.