Laser pointer color

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
raymondu999

Laser pointer color

This might seem like a weird place to ask, but this is the only "physics-y" forum I frequent, so I had no better place to ask.

I'm looking to buy a laser pointer, just for the purposes of pointing stuff out on a board (with a projector image) but I'm not a fan of red laser pointers, as IMO they don't "pop" as much. What other colors do you guys recommend?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: Laser pointer color

The human eye is naturally best at perceiving green light.

raymondu999

Lycoming wrote:The human eye is naturally best at perceiving green light.
Didn't know that. What tone?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

tim|away
tim|away

I've always found laser pointers to be a bit gimmicky for presentations. Even if your hand is steady and your blood sugar isnt low, it will be quite jumpy. My advice would be to use an old-fashioned pointer (read: stick) whenever you can.

raymondu999 wrote:
Lycoming wrote:The human eye is naturally best at perceiving green light.
Didn't know that. What tone?
Below you will find the sensitivity of the human eye to different wavelength of light. See the different points for laser pointers (green 88%, red 24%, blue 3%).

CBeck113
CBeck113

The green laser pointers are the ones idiots used to blind pilots in flight, and there was discussion here in Germany to have them banned. They tend to be very intense.
I agree with tim away, a pointer leaves a better impression for me: it lets the presenter look more dynamic, you have something to do with your hands (very important, since I always catch myself wantign to put them in my pockets!), and you force your listeners to look away from you (i.e. short relief).

Of course this isn't appropriate if you are sitting at the back of the room...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

raymondu999

Just to be clear - this isn't for me presenting anything. Whenever I do go on stage to speak or present anything I do so in a high energy, move about the stage fashion, and I prefer to use my fingers to point at pointers on my slides anyways. This is for my work. My company's line of work is property development, and I often have to point to things on plans from architects... lol
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Kiril Varbanov

Get one of these - http://r.ebay.com/9aMDUK

The nicest green, which is reminiscent of a grass. Also, it has a cool factor, because it resembles the cool lasers we used to watch as kids.
I've been on some international forums where people with expensive ties had no issues or worries using it.

CBeck113
CBeck113

raymondu999 wrote:Just to be clear - this isn't for me presenting anything. Whenever I do go on stage to speak or present anything I do so in a high energy, move about the stage fashion, and I prefer to use my fingers to point at pointers on my slides anyways. This is for my work. My company's line of work is property development, and I often have to point to things on plans from architects... lol
Oh, you work with architects - so you do want to burn their eyes out. :lol:
I studied Automotive engineering, but before that I was a bricklayer, so I have a special opinion about architects - especially since I actually wanted to study architectural engineering until my time on the jobsites...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Absolutelee
Absolutelee

I have a green laser pointer, which is as powerful as can legally be sold in the US. It is dumb. It is so intense that looking at the dot on the wall can be painful. I got it because The girlfriend wanted a laser for playing with the cat, so I thought I'd get one that could b used for stargazing too (We were going to the country soon). Well the green laser came and I took one look at it and decided there was no way we were using it with the cat. So intense. Green lasers should only be used when necessary...stargazing or when you ned to point at something a mile away. Regular use...get red

Pup
Pup

raymondu999 wrote:Just to be clear - this isn't for me presenting anything. Whenever I do go on stage to speak or present anything I do so in a high energy, move about the stage fashion, and I prefer to use my fingers to point at pointers on my slides anyways. This is for my work. My company's line of work is property development, and I often have to point to things on plans from architects... lol
Might I suggest a pencil?

raymondu999

Pup wrote:
I'm talking about when we're having meetings, and they're projecting the plans onto a board.

Helps for when I'm out at the construction sites too, pointing at a sun visor or something I installed some 25 floors up or whatever.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

piast9
piast9

I've bought green laser for lectures (I am the adjunct professor at the uni). Initially it was too bright but at the PCB inside the pointer there was a potentiometer which allowed to tune the power of the laser. Now it is clearly visible and not dazzling even in dark lecture rooms. The current drawn from the batteries was hugely reduced and single set of 700 mAh AAA accumulators least for something like 40-50 hours of lectures.

Pup
Pup

raymondu999 wrote:
Pup wrote:
I'm talking about when we're having meetings, and they're projecting the plans onto a board.

Helps for when I'm out at the construction sites too, pointing at a sun visor or something I installed some 25 floors up or whatever.
I was talking about throwing the pencil at the boards. Most comments I get from developers are about that random. :lol:

Moxie
Moxie

Laser pointers have their place, but using them requires some skill. I also have to use one to point to blueprints which are hanging at about 10 ft. (3m). If I may offer one bit of advice...Keep the pointer off or pointed at your feet, except for the two or three seconds you need to draw attention to the location on the print. As a construction tradesman, I find that my crew may not be as attentive as I'd desire and they are easily distracted by the wayward dot.

As for using them to point out locations on a job site, they are invaluable. Climbing three different scaffolds to show three different crews their jobs can be exhausting first thing in the morning. But care must be taken to be sure that you comply all the security regulations with every job site...and never put the dot on a security guard! (Not making a joke here...it has been done...by some damned fool... and the consequences were severe!)

raymondu999

Pup wrote:I was talking about throwing the pencil at the boards. Most comments I get from developers are about that random. :lol:
Ah! Architect, then?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法