Lotus F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Kiril Varbanov

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2013

Kimi surgery went well - http://www.mtv.fi/sport/f1/uutiset.shtm ... ongelmitta

Again, no word on what exactly the problem was, which in my view is of extreme importance - as ex-pro-sports person and as someone who has had certain types of back surgery interventions.
Neither Lotus nor Ferrari responded to my question, which is the usual way F1 teams communicate (#poor)

astracrazy
astracrazy

i wonder if Heikki could be in contention for next season depending on his performances?

iotar__

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Kimi surgery went well - http://www.mtv.fi/sport/f1/uutiset.shtm ... ongelmitta

Again, no word on what exactly the problem was, which in my view is of extreme importance - as ex-pro-sports person and as someone who has had certain types of back surgery interventions.
Neither Lotus nor Ferrari responded to my question, which is the usual way F1 teams communicate (#poor)
Is it even surprising?

They should answer this: How much in pain was Raikkonen when he was visiting Ferrari on Thursday? His future employer and Lotus's direct competitor for third place. I guess he was well enough not to postpone a trip and it got worse 1 day after that. Abu Dhabi - nothing, Wednesday - nothing, Thursday Maranello - nothing, Friday "looking forward to USA" - nothing, Saturday - end of the season.

The most "surprising" part - Ferrari isn't worried about their new driver's health and have nothing to say about it. The fact that Quantum deal and connected to it signing of their favourite driver Hulkenberg isn't happening is another factor.

iotar__

turbof1 wrote:
iotar__ wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Since Hulkenberg wasn't available, indeed the best solution.

It is hard to come by drivers who are sidelined yet have enough experience and drove a f1 car extensively and recently. I do hope the addition of extra testing days next year aid in that aspect.
Not according to Lotus, he was not. They apparently asked Schumacher before him, it says it all about mentality, what were they thinking, was it publicity stunt? If so not a good one after rejection and Hulkenberg failure.

And since when Kova is Mr Reliability?
Yeah I picked that up too. Schumacher wouldn't be my choice. Nothing against him, a living legend, but certainly not a living currently racing one.

Kova isn't a bad driver. Sure, he had his moments, made errors, but considering your limited time and options, Lotus could have done a lot worse.
Kova is not a bad choice but the way they approached it all is weird. His problems were race pace, race skills and motivation, kind of important this season and with a car they have. Seat fitting for Hulkenberg was fine (AMuS) but everything else didn't make sense.

Wasn't Kova (oversimplifying) outraced by Petrov lat time he drove F1 car, so why not him, knows the team etc. was close to Kubica according to Permane :wink: , not enough pat on the back from media, not enough buzz? What can happen to HK after two races (motivation part)? Season in Caterham, if lucky, regardless of the outcome.

Kiril Varbanov

Davide Valsecchi for selecting Heikki Kovalainen - "A Tragedy" - http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/11/a ... -over-him/

Donuts

iotar__ wrote:
Kiril Varbanov wrote:Kimi surgery went well - http://www.mtv.fi/sport/f1/uutiset.shtm ... ongelmitta

Is it even surprising?

They should answer this: How much in pain was Raikkonen when he was visiting Ferrari on Thursday? His future employer and Lotus's direct competitor for third place. I guess he was well enough not to postpone a trip and it got worse 1 day after that. Abu Dhabi - nothing, Wednesday - nothing, Thursday Maranello - nothing, Friday "looking forward to USA" - nothing, Saturday - end of the season.

The most "surprising" part - Ferrari isn't worried about their new driver's health and have nothing to say about it. The fact that Quantum deal and connected to it signing of their favourite driver Hulkenberg isn't happening is another factor.
It's obvious that's what's happening here... sportsmanship means nothing.
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

turbof1

Kova is not a bad choice but the way they approached it all is weird. His problems were race pace, race skills and motivation, kind of important this season and with a car they have. Seat fitting for Hulkenberg was fine (AMuS) but everything else didn't make sense.

Wasn't Kova (oversimplifying) outraced by Petrov lat time he drove F1 car, so why not him, knows the team etc. was close to Kubica according to Permane , not enough pat on the back from media, not enough buzz? What can happen to HK after two races (motivation part)? Season in Caterham, if lucky, regardless of the outcome.
The whole situation is weird, mate. It's what you get coming from a very turbulent weekend where tensions got high between a driver and his, then one week from the next GP that same driver 'suddenly' wants his back under surgery. I don't think there is a standard procedure for these kind of problems. Things were going to be odd anyhow.

I think the one thing you will not be able to blame Kova right now is a lack of motivation. It has long been since he drove a full race weekend, and much longer since he had a relative competitive car. One should also remember he fared very well in the past with the previous incarnation of this team.

Dunno how it could have wrong with him. He left a below average impression when he was at mclaren, and then got stuck with caterham. It is what it is; giving the circumstances he'll try his utter best, I am sure of that.
#AeroFrodo

warwick
warwick

iotar__ wrote:

Is it even surprising?

According to Helsingin Sanomat/Heikki Kulta the pain is in the lower back, on the left side.
http://www.hs.fi/urheilu/Luonnoton+ajoa ... 4237386630

The red dot in these images resemble the trouble.
Images from Helsingin Sanomat newspaper, 11.13.2013.

In the story Vettel's ex-physio Tommi Pärnäkoski says that the lower back along with the neck are the two parts of in the human body that takes most of the impact in F1. And that normal people have no idea about the forces and potential wear and tear it causes.

To me, or anyone else who has had to rely on orthopedic care, should be obvious that there is a difference in seat fitting and racing with bad back. Apples and oranges...
Most likely the pain got worse on its own, he went to doctor who recommended surgery as soon as possible. For some it seems that he name of the driver is just the problem here.
Convenient timing perhaps, but the burden of proof lies on those who think the operation was all down of Kimi being so "evil, lazy, unmotivated or what ever you can accuse him of". Cry me a river. :roll:

What comes to Kova I think it is going to be major uphill struggle. Perhaps should been better off with Valsecchi. As he knows the car better. Hope the team won't, at the end of the season, end up as bad as he quantum deal seems to have end up to be..

MOWOG

Some day soon, perhaps as early as Sunday, the sport will have a new iconic radio transmission to add to its collection of famous messages. It will sound something like this:

"Romaine, Heiki is faster than you. Please acknowledge that you understand this message. Heiki is faster than you." :twisted:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

stefan_
stefan_

MOWOG wrote:Some day soon, perhaps as early as Sunday, the sport will have a new iconic radio transmission to add to its collection of famous messages. It will sound something like this:

"Romaine, Heiki is faster than you. Please acknowledge that you understand this message. Heiki is faster than you." :twisted:
No, Lotus is more straigtforward, no bulls**t. If we are to hear something, it would be more like "Romain/Heikki, get out of the f***ing way!"

On the other hand, I wonder how Heikki feels getting back in the top 10 in the first day with a completely new car for him.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Chuckjr

Romaine must be like :wtf:
Watching F1 since 1986.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

that'll never happen. for sponsorship and business appearance they will not allow heikki to finish in front of romain.
Heikki probably has been told to finish behind romain and not to attack him, it might even be a contract deal.
Kovalainen will not be @ lotus in 2014, so he's got nothing to win by passing romain.

If he does end up in front of romain, they'll either give him a team order [legal], or just call him into the pits for some tactic reason and send him away in such a way he'll still grab points. Unless heiki will plant that Lotus in P1, i think it's a long shot, but there still is a possibility to overtake Ferrari in the constructors championship. both drivers will have to finish on the podium, but since Romain seemed to plant that E21 into the podium well the last couple of races, it's still a possibility.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

anzx
anzx

if they want to end the year infront of ferrari, then they should leave them to race, but if there would be a problem that heikki or romain would slow down each other then they should go for team order... For example, Ferrari did the most stupid order in Abu Dhabi by calling Massa to pits and releasing him slowly on medium tires, which allowed alonso pass but massa's race was ruined, he stucked in P8(or something like that I don't even remember) anyway the point is Ferrari would score more points by not favorizing Alonso, and they would be Massa P5, Alonso P6, but like I said Alonso can't see that his teammate is in front of him, this is Ferrari's biggest problem... So if the Lotus guys are smart enough they will not ruin Heikki's race, because as they said finishing 2nd or 3rd in constructors championship is the most important.

stefan_
stefan_

At this point I don't think it really matters who finish in front of who as logn as they both bring good points to the team.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i recall the team ordering grosjean to smile after there were some arguments during a race where he let kimi pass just after kimi said goodbye to the team in favor for ferrari - i thought it had something to do with image and he had to up his game because they'll need sponsors in 2014 because with kimi out, a lot of sponsorship and interest goes out.

if kovalainen is NOT gonna drive 2014 for Lotus no matter what , then a grosjean who gets defeated by a 'lotus-rookie [he knows squat about that car and hasnt raced all year] then that would ruin and completely kill romain's image for shareholders and interest. if you can fix that by ordering heikki to keep behind, then that's a easy choice.

however, if heikki would get a '14 drive, good results will benefit him and the team hugely. it could even result in a kick in romain's behind to couple heikki/maldonado for 2014 at genii lotus.......who knows
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"