2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Holm86

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

xpensive wrote:If you care to remember Holm, I was comparing next year's 2 bar V6 with the 6 bar V6 from 30 years ago, a world of difference.
xpensive wrote:The connection between boost and xhaust temp should be obvious as the latter increases with the amount of fuel burned.

Next year's 1-1,5 bar boost is just a tad more than what you will find in a typical street car
And it doesnt matter if you compare the V6's of 2014 with those from the 80's. Its still not a matter of boost. Its a matter of output from the engine. And the 80's engines was far less efficent and had much larger power outputs.

xpensive
xpensive

Less efficient means even more xhaust energy, either way, 2014 turbochargers will have a walk in the park compared to 1986.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Holm86

xpensive wrote:Less efficient means even more xhaust energy, either way, 2014 turbochargers will have a walk in the park compared to 1986.
Yes I know that less efficiency means more exhaust energy. Thats why I wrote it.

And I can agree that the turbos wont be exposed to as much heat in 14 as in the 80's. But I cant agree on the statement that it is because of the boost.

Richard
Richard

Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Lets keep this thread focussed on the design of the engines.

Sighting of engine tests are here :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =5&t=16212

ringo

The boost pressure is misguided, if we are using marmorini's words as our basis for 2 bars.
He was being a bit cheeky when he said that. you will have 2 bar of boost at the lower rps. Higher up you will have less than 1 bar.
2 bar is more like the lower rev range, not even much in the middle range.
But i guess if he was asked specifically what peak boost is going to be maybe he was being perfectly honest when he said 2 bar. However he knows fully well that at max power, the boost wont be half of that value.

The boost pressure will affect the egt, but you can't ignore the compression ratio of the engine in regards to egt.
The timing as well.

As for the turbo, i don't expect it to be anymore challenging in terms of cooling compared to other turbos in other racing series. It's just a 600hp engine. The challenge is more with making them last.
For Sure!!

matt21

I read in an interview of Fred Türk (head of motorsport at Mahle) two interesting thngs:

- AFR of around 1.2 (compared to 0.8 for the current V8); 1.0 is deemed "rich" already
- Mahle is investigating the use of steel pistons and steel conrods

Holm86

Is steel pistons necessary?? I thought they would just use some sort of aluminium alloy with a ceramic heat barrier coating on top and low friction coatings on the skirts.

And Mahle delivers pistons to Mercedes right??

matt21

They think, that the temperatures will reach an level where aluminium can fail.
According to Türk, it should be possible to design a steel pistion without weight penalty and the steel conrods should have even an advantage there.

The only concern they have is heat extraction from the piston.

noname
noname

matt21 wrote:Mahle is investigating the use of steel pistons and steel conrods
Mahle steel pistons won few Le Mans already. They are lighter than aluminum ones.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

in a heavily supercharged diesel ?
lighter than 2 part 'aluminium' ones would be in that engine ?

FW17

Can the lubrication system be designed to add the lubricants with anti-knock / anti-detonation additives into the combustion chamber?

timbo
timbo

WilliamsF1 wrote:Can the lubrication system be designed to add the lubricants with anti-knock / anti-detonation additives into the combustion chamber?
Why would that be needed? There's no upper limit on fuel's RON now IIRC.

SectorOne

Sorry if it has been asked before but what will the idle rpm be approximately?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Holm86

WilliamsF1 wrote:Can the lubrication system be designed to add the lubricants with anti-knock / anti-detonation additives into the combustion chamber?
I dont see the idea in that. This would mean that the lubricant should have to leak into the combustion chamber. And engine oil in the combustion decreases the octane number actually. So there is no idea in that.