Formula 1 teams pushing for permanent numbers for drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SectorOne

Re: Formula 1 teams pushing for permanent numbers for driver

:D well done Bomber. Well done..
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Writinglife
Writinglife

I'm very undecided about this. I can see the benefits definitely, and it would be nice to see some numbers being "retired" in ceremony, the same way that jerseys are retired in some sports. I don't like that numbers are chosen based on who was highest last year, after all, why should Grosjean get to choose a number over someone like Button who has been in the sport a longer time, simply because McLaren had a bad season.

Gridlock

Writinglife wrote:why should Grosjean get to choose a number over someone like Button who has been in the sport a longer time, simply because McLaren had a bad season.
The F in F1 doesn't stand for "fairness".

astracrazy
astracrazy

yep

I don't know how else you could do it that's fair. I mean you could say Button first because he been in longer but then that forces Grosjean to have a number he might not want for the rest of his career when Button might only have 2yrs left (example)?

you could pull there names out of a hat, but then why should a rookie get to choose first. It would go on for ever, i think (standings) is the best way. Perhaps should of left it till 2015, adds some incentive if they are bothered enough for 2014

It will never be fair if someone doesn't get the one they want. There will always be other reasons why they should and the other shouldnt...

Daliracing

Re: Driver's select race number's

Bomber_Pilot wrote:
Daliracing wrote:
gray41 wrote:I would think he'd chose his "vettel" number but run #1 as world champion.
would he go for 69? it would fit the names he gives his cars like kinky kyle :D
69 is reserved for Maldonado, so that you can easily read the number, even when the car is upside down.
then 96 is also a possibility for Maldonado :D

Slife
Slife

How much F1 car real estate will the numbers now occupy ? Is it gonna be like NASCAR where you can clearly see the number ?

I wonder who would pick 42 and 69, both the meaning of life.

astracrazy
astracrazy

hopefully they will clearly show them on the cars now as they should mean a little bit more.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

On a serious note, Vettel will surely take #5. He won his first title in it as did Schumacher.

radosav
radosav

''68'' looks like a car if you rotate it 90 degrees to the right! '6' looks like cockpit and '8' looks like wheels! Just my 2 cents!

radosav
radosav

Although, ''3'' looks like a boobs when you rotate it! :D

Slife
Slife

radosav wrote:Although, ''3'' looks like a boobs when you rotate it! :D
Nah it just looks like a cat smile :3

feni_remmen
feni_remmen

Umm, unless I'm missing something, drivers are perfectly entitled to pick a new number every year, it's just there is an expectatition they won't. As such, it's entirely possible those with power will control how this works.. For example, if you finish higher in the championship, you can steal a number off someone? Can someone point me to a clearer definition of this, cause this seem possible!

SectorOne

feni_remmen wrote:Umm, unless I'm missing something, drivers are perfectly entitled to pick a new number every year, it's just there is an expectatition they won't. As such, it's entirely possible those with power will control how this works.. For example, if you finish higher in the championship, you can steal a number off someone? Can someone point me to a clearer definition of this, cause this seem possible!
First post of this thread, link:
Sources claim that the team bosses present at the October meeting - Christian Horner, Ross Brawn, Martin Whitmarsh, Stefano Domenicali, Claire Williams and Eric Boullier - were in agreement that giving drivers numbers for the rest of their career would be a good thing.

With drivers only changing numbers if they won the world championship, it is better for marketing reasons to attach a driver to the same number, rather than it potentially changing yearly as it often does at the moment.
There will be no number-swapping yearly because that would defeat the whole purpose of what they are trying to do.
Only person that can change is the world champ. But that is because he has effectively two numbers rather then one.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

feni_remmen
feni_remmen

SectorOne wrote:
feni_remmen wrote:Umm, unless I'm missing something, drivers are perfectly entitled to pick a new number every year, it's just there is an expectatition they won't. As such, it's entirely possible those with power will control how this works.. For example, if you finish higher in the championship, you can steal a number off someone? Can someone point me to a clearer definition of this, cause this seem possible!
First post of this thread, link:
Sources claim that the team bosses present at the October meeting - Christian Horner, Ross Brawn, Martin Whitmarsh, Stefano Domenicali, Claire Williams and Eric Boullier - were in agreement that giving drivers numbers for the rest of their career would be a good thing.

With drivers only changing numbers if they won the world championship, it is better for marketing reasons to attach a driver to the same number, rather than it potentially changing yearly as it often does at the moment.
There will be no number-swapping yearly because that would defeat the whole purpose of what they are trying to do.
Only person that can change is the world champ. But that is because he has effectively two numbers rather then one.
Yeah, I have been watching this play out since the start. I am not trying to be smart or stupid.

I think I am trying to focus on whether the process of how numbers are chosen will work out.
The FIA will surely let drivers change numbers if the driver wants to?
There needs to be a year on year selection process?
They must have a process to allow that?
I am asking (perhaps too in-depth for a trivial issue), how will the system work in the long term?
I am asking for information on what the long term selection process is?
I understand that they would like a driver to have a number for his whole career, I am asking some questions about the implications of this desire and how it might not quite work.
I have never liked Grand Prix bike system of numbering, so I guess I have some idealogical issue with the new system.
My interest is whether this will be exploited in some way to produce an outcome that is different to what was expected...
If I am coming across as ignorant, this isn't my intent. I am looking for people with information to fill me in on the long term details, as I can imagine this may not be as simple as some have made it out...

SectorOne

Yea..... i give up.