Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Thunder

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

But the Rear Wing is shallower in 2014, not the other way around. And why narrower ?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

NathanOlder

Mercedes to unveil the W05 on 28th January.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/688677019?-2724:768
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

the EDGE
the EDGE

Wouldn't it be really cool if they put a tiny dark picture of it on their web site and increased the the brightness of the picture a little each day if enough people tweeted about it???

Gosh, I can hardly wait

stefan_
stefan_

Didn't that happen already last year, but with the car being in a garage?
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

LightningLewis
LightningLewis

stefan_ wrote:Didn't that happen already last year, but with the car being in a garage?
I think "the EDGE" was being sarcastic :wink: For yes, they did that last year and there server broke down :)

Cocles

Yes, and the fuzzy photo they gave us was followed on here by a flood of posts claiming 5th in the constructor's championship was now a pipe dream. :P ;)

SectorOne

Such a simple car. Nothing special really. Huge disappointment.
Doesn't look good enough to me!
When people say that you can follow the lines of the RedBull like the air is...
Adrian Newey is "feeling" the path of the air and he can design it that way..

From the looks of it... it seems like all the designers at Merc felt was the pain in the ass from the last seasons results...
at least its only a year behind everybody else now, conceotually that is.
At least as Schumacher fan I have a good answer on why Michael hang on his helmet last year. This car is an absolute evolution of the W03. It looks like they made some work on the rear end where they struggled most last year.

If they can extract good speed from this evolution and more consistent tire usage I still bet it won't be enough to beat Lotus, Mclaren, Ferrari and Red Bull.
wow,if you ask me,merc still trying not to copy any team,and do there thing.but last year showed,they got no cool moves,to compensate for the others cool moves.very disapointed with merc.hamilton better get realy rich,or this worst move of his life.i meen,the car so basic,not like the new ferrari or sauber.the merc already looks slow as
And the pure gold one,
Car looks Crap. If Marussia had a better engine, KERS and budget, I'd bet on it to beat this.

I see Mercedes beating Carteham & Marussia and competing with Force India,Toro Rosso and Williams.

No way this car can match Ferrari, Red Bull, Lotus, Mclaren and the super looking Sauber.

It will be tough getting this car into Q3.

This looks like a crude,cheap copy of W03. Horrible, --- looking car. I wonder what Hamilton will feel if he does not even make Q2 in the 1st race.

I can understand why MSC left. It's hopeless. It is a poor version/marginally improved version of a pretty bad car and Mercedes were horrible with in-season developent.

I hate what they have done with the bulky nose, the same crude sidepods and the lame exhausts they have. Still cant get Coanda right
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Sevach
Sevach

Faustino wrote:Ah --- off :) I made the rear wing narrower and higher. Took me 10 minutes.
That's not what the new rules ask of the rear wing

Faustino
Faustino

Sevach wrote:
Faustino wrote:Ah --- off :) I made the rear wing narrower and higher. Took me 10 minutes.
That's not what the new rules ask of the rear wing
Ok well if someone could post up a pic of what general shape the car should look like, i'll do a proper mock up.

siskue2005

There are much better 2014 shapes and mockups running around in this site for the past 6 months, you can use the search button for it or just click on the link http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=16328

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

SectorOne wrote:
// Comedy gold
Thanks, I needed that. =D>

I just wish you had kept in the names of the posters...would've served them right.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Cocles

SectorOne, you're my hero. And while we're at it, might as well nip this one in the bud too, since we see it every year:

Should some of the silver paint around the exhaust turn brown, it is not a "major cooling problem".

diego1960

But it shouldn't turn brown, it is something that has occured many times before and from now on it should fixed before launch. I expect them to have simulated the temperatures and figured out whether they need more black material or not. You are Mercedes for God's sake! These things are unacceptable.

PS: From this year on though, I doubt if we will see this black material used, unless it is for a small part as the exhaust exits in a different place.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Holm86

diego1960 wrote:But it shouldn't turn brown, it is something that has occured many times before and from now on it should fixed before launch. I expect them to have simulated the temperatures and figured out whether they need more black material or not. You are Mercedes for God's sake! These things are unacceptable.

PS: From this year on though, I doubt if we will see this black material used, unless it is for a small part as the exhaust exits in a different place.
Unacceptable seriously?? Its a racecar. Not a showcar. Only way it would be unacceptable would be if it caused the car to set on fire.

diego1960

As seriously as it gets. I expect the best and nothing less from Mercedes on every level. It is a huge brand with a historic name that no-one should take lightly. Cars like the W01-W02 are unacceptable. Non-existant attention to detail is unacceptable, unless you have forgoten they hideous craftsmanship, the holes they had to open, the brown surface near the exhaust etc. And lets not forget the tire degradation problems, possibly the worst in the field.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna