Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
markn93

Re: Mercedes F1 W05 Pre-launch Speculation

Source of the pic? And why isn't the rear wing fully covered?

FoxHound

@newtonmeter

Even as a hardened silberpfeil-ista I prefer to see merc struggle initially and then come good. Makes the achievements even more sweet! 8)

But I agree nobody knows who is where regards engines and ERS.
Reports late last year of Mercs almighty power advantage is just media hyperbole which is setting the team up for unjustified flak.
If they are level pegging with the rest it will then be seen as a failure of sorts.
It should be noted that it was not of mercedes doing either.
What gets me is the story fails to mention how they got power figures from all 3 suppliers to reliably concoct the story.
JET set

heimana
heimana

where did you find this? is it a fake?

diego1960

@Fox

They didn't, they couldn't possibly had. It was most probably journo "expectations-guesses" the possible "numbers" from Ferrari/Renault, and then some exaggerations over the size of the Mercedes "advantage". I don't think anyone in this forum took it seriously.

However, scarbs drawing of a possible Ferrari advantage due to compact size is far more interesting/realistic and frightful scenario. That is what I am afraid of, a tighter packaging coupled with their immense reliability record. An then let's not forget Renault, it seems unlikely that they would fail. Of course no-one knows and we will soon find out, but are Mercedes really well-placed in that department?

Another question comes to mind though. Will cooling be ok for Merc, with the turbo and all? That is without sacrificing side-pod size in order to accommodate larger radiators. And what about this rumor from a year ago that they where working with a U.S. based company that specializes in radiators in order to have a model that is 30% smaller than the competition?
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

LightningLewis
LightningLewis

heimana wrote:
where did you find this? is it a fake?
I think it's fake.. Mercedes haven't released any teaser yet on there website or any other place, so I'm pretty sure it isn't legit..

Anon123
Anon123

I saw it on the MercAMGF1Fans twitter account, by the sounds of it it's just a mock-up of the car and nothing official.

f1316
f1316

Rear wing and tyre look a little CGed to me.

If not, I'd be interested in the shape of the nose which looks quite low and thin with a step (a bit like what's being discussed in the FI thread).

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

f1316 wrote:Rear wing and tyre look a little CGed to me.

If not, I'd be interested in the shape of the nose which looks quite low and thin with a step (a bit like what's being discussed in the FI thread).
The nose seems to be too low on the front wheels line!

theWPTformula

The rear wing looks really deep. Considering that the profile will be a lot shallower this year this doesn't seem legitimate. Not long until we find out, though!

turbof1

Teams often put front and rear wings on the car from previous years, so I wouldn't be fixed on that.

Chassis, tub and sidepod are on the other hand are more interesting areas. Could somebody try to brighten up the image so we could have a better view on the contours of the car?

Sidepods look to be both higher and wider, with a fairly large undercut. The sidepods look to be getting smaller towards the vertical turning vane, hinting on a small sidepod entrance, perhaps comparable to previous years. If that were true, they must have done a good job.

It's of course all guessing on what's underneath the blanket, so don't pin me down on it.
#AeroFrodo

SectorOne

It´s a W05 photoshopped to create some hype for the upcoming unveiling.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

turbof1

I know. However, I'll just assume for now that it, atleast in general shape, is similar to the real deal, without giving any real innovations away.

Edit: also assuming this is an official pic and not a fan made impression.
#AeroFrodo

heimana
heimana

I think it's a fake because the rear wing is too big, In 2014 the rear wings will be very light

SectorOne

turbof1 wrote:I know. However, I'll just assume for now that it, atleast in general shape, is similar to the real deal, without giving any real innovations away.

Edit: also assuming this is an official pic and not a fan made impression.
Yea the person who made it certainly tweaked it a bit, lowered the nose, increased the DRS flap etc.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

It's a fake teaser guys.. and yes I created it was messing around during a no so busy period at work.. it's not Photoshopped, just rendered from a w04 in 3DS max.. I'm working on a better one using the new rules guidelines.. will have it up tonight.. also trying to get some insider info today.