Mclaren Mercedes 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Gridlock

Re: Mclaren-Mercedes F1 Team 2014

So a team secretly sponsored by Honda that uses a Mercedes engine, is run by Ross Brawn and has Jenson Button driving for them? :lol:

Writinglife
Writinglife

Gridlock wrote:So a team secretly sponsored by Honda that uses a Mercedes engine, is run by Ross Brawn and has Jenson Button driving for them? :lol:
2014 Drivers championship locked then? :lol:

Richard
Richard

I agree the racing team's cost centre will be making a loss this season. They've got less cash coming into the business with the loss of Vodafone. However clever accountants will use the notional loss this year to offset profits in other years.

Jonathan Neale alludes to that in his comments:
whereas in previous years we've sometimes shown a very healthy profit, running to tens of millions of pounds, we don't have shareholders demanding that we do that every year ... bearing all the above points in mind, I'm pleased to say that McLaren Racing will have a larger operational budget available to it in 2014.
In a nutshell, Ron has left an IOU in the 2015 budget to help pay for 2014. I wonder who's funding the cash flow? Do they have enough cash in house, or perhaps the cashflow is supported by Honda as an advance payment as a motor racing dowry?

turbof1

As a side note: Since Santander's logo is red, they could easily keep their current livery.
#AeroFrodo

Holm86

turbof1 wrote:As a side note: Since Santander's logo is red, they could easily keep their current livery.
Sure. McLarens own logo is red as well.

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

Mclaren Honda Mercedes

How is that different then BMW Sauber Ferrari or Infiniti Red Bull Renault

Pup
Pup

No different. It would be every bit as weird.

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Hobbs04 wrote:Mclaren Honda Mercedes

How is that different then BMW Sauber Ferrari or Infiniti Red Bull Renault
At least Infiniti belongs to Nissan-Renault! :wink:

diego1960

turbof1 wrote:As a side note: Since Santander's logo is red, they could easily keep their current livery.
I hope not, their livery was awful. Especially the chrome part. Malboro-era livery was nice, West-era livery was beautiful but the current one has way too much "bling" for my taste.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

dren

I've read that the difference in price between paying for Mercedes engines and the free honda units along with the honda money is in the $100mil range.
Honda!

markc

Writinglife wrote:
Gridlock wrote:So a team secretly sponsored by Honda that uses a Mercedes engine, is run by Ross Brawn and has Jenson Button driving for them? :lol:
2014 Drivers championship locked then? :lol:
Driving car #22... so yeah, the planets are aligned!
I think there's also an irony alignment; in that Honda didn't get kudos in 2009, and if 2014 were to be successful then they wouldn't get kudos either. Those who believe in an irony loving universe place your bets!! :lol:

Just 2 add my 2 cents: Honda are ONLY interested in winning, and so will spend to bolster their team to achieve that. That also encompasses a building/re-building year.
No sources, take it or leave it. They are sore about not getting kudos in '09.

Pup
Pup

Ciaron Pilbeam, Webber's old race engineer joins the team after a year at Lotus.

http://grandprix247.com/2014/01/22/pilb ... n-mclaren/

...supposedly to be chief race engineer...
https://twitter.com/f1enigma/status/425881176549507072 Where does that leave Phil Prew then?

FoxHound

Pup wrote:Where does that leave Phil Prew then?
Pruning leave?
JET set

Pup
Pup

:D Points for puns, even awful ones.

Possibly. I'm sort of curious if Team Principle To Be Announced will keep Whitmarsh's system of having a senior engineer oversee both cars, as opposed to just letting the two sides of the garage compete with each other. I think one of the issues last year was that the two teams/drivers weren't pushing each other.

On the other hand, Magnussen will need help initially with setups etc., just as Hamilton did.

FoxHound

Ah Thankyou kindly, sir.

I think there will be a split and not a general overseer. The new regs will mean there is less to go on, and probably better for the driver to find their own tailored set up. And I'm dubious as to whether having one overseer or a a split garage will help Button in relation to Magnussen.
Will be very interesting to see what this kid can do next to his older more experienced team mate. If he is the real deal, he should be beating Button from the off.
Not one to put pressure on young pups me, but I actually expect him to be faster than Jenson.

Sounds a bit harsh, however he could come alive during the races as he so often does. We have many variables this year and Jenson thrives on that.
JET set